Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has there been a comparison of range between the 20" and 22" wheels? I do like the look of the 22" wheels on that big car, but if the penalty on range is significant I will reconsider.

Tesla states that the 22" wheels have a significant range penalty of 10%-15% vs. the standard 20" wheel.

Model X range.PNG

Temps, wind, terrain and speed have a tremendous impact on range (nothing new here). Just drove NJ to Orlando and encountered low temps and high winds/rain/snow, warming and weather improving as we went south. Speeds 65-80mph. Cold, wind & rain kept the Wh/mi in the low 400's range, improved to 360-370 at 75-80 mph. No problem achieving rated range at lower speeds (60-65) in better weather and at times 320-330. Weather is supposed to be good for the trip back over the weekend, but taking the western route up I-81 so we'll see how it does in the mountains.
@ptsagcy how long did the trip take? And how many times did you need to stop for charging? If you don't mind me asking.

My wife and I did our first road trip this weekend in our Model X.
From Loveland, CO to Glenwood Springs, CO.
Up and over the Continental Divide.
I charged to max before our trip; 250 mile range.
Charged about 15 minutes in Silverthorn, about 80 miles remaining.
Energy usage going over Vail pass.
View attachment 171530

Charged again about 15 minutes in Glenwood Springs.
Spent the rest of the day visiting relatives and giving rides in the Tesla.
We stayed the night at Marriott Courtyard in Glenwood Springs next to the SC.
We were the only Teslas at both Silverthorn and Glenwood Springs.
I am not sure of the etiquette of charging overnight;
but since we were the only Tesla and there were 5 more open spaces I thought is was OK to stayed plugged in overnight

View attachment 171531

On Sunday we drove back to Loveland.
Picture going over Vail pass, 10,000 feet, and it is snowing.

View attachment 171532

We charged again at Silverthorn and there were several Teslas.

View attachment 171533

If you only can go downhill all the time you can get tremendous range.

View attachment 171534

Cool Pictures of your X! I rented that eThos Tesla in your pic a few weekends ago on a ski trip to Copper. Good to see that someone else rented the car and did the same trip as we did! :) I do hope that electric car rentals become more prevalent! I also noticed the great range on the way back to Golden/Denver. We didn't even need the top off at Silverthorn.

Reactions: loganintx
@ptsagcy how long did the trip take? And how many times did you need to stop for charging? If you don't mind me asking.

We took a bit of a scenic route going down the Del Marva
Peninsula and back to I-95 after the bridge/tunnel. Going back north we charged at Santee and headed west to I-81. These routes are longer but a much more pleasant ride. We stayed overnight in Lumberton on the way down and Stateville on the way north. We charged 3 or 4 times on each leg and tried to plan our stops around meals and overnights. Woodland Park, NJ to Orlando was about 22 hours each way including all stops taking the "scenic" routes. The ride in the MX was amazing. The seating comfort and position were fantastic and auto pilot made it very relaxing and easy. This is by far the best road-trip car I've ever driven. I found the Nav system to be very accurate for planning charging stops but always added a little cushion of 30 miles or so to the recommended charge.

Everyone needs to check their tires at least every other week if not weekly. I think a few pounds can make a sizable difference.

Today on a 120 mile trip with a few hills and limited climate control I got 325 average. Same trips before were around 340 so either the hills have changed or the car is a getting a bit better. I just have 1100 miles on it so far.

I was struggling with the same issue, I wanted black, but not 21". I wonder, is it possible to plasti-dip wheels to make them black?

You probably already saw this, but you can get 20" turbine wheels from T-Sportline (tsportline.com - I have no affiliation, I've just been looking for winter wheels myself! :)), that looks identical to the OEM 22" wheels, but give you the better range and snow tire options of a 20" wheel. They have shiny black, matte black, silver, and gray...

Heard you can only access about 85% of battery capacity, so 90KW battery gives 76.5KW of accessible energy. Any truth to this? I'm not talking about charging to 80%, I'm saying if you charge to 100%, the car restricts access to full power. Any truth?

If that was the case on 76.5KW average mid 350wh/mile = 218 of actual range. 90KW would get the rated 257 range.

Accurate for current drivers? Access to all 90kw or is it true there's a 15% inaccessible portion?

I read somewhere on TMC that 340 Wh/mi equates to Rated range on the X. If true, and given the EPA range of 252 miles, it implies we have access to a usable 85.68kWh of the battery pack's rated 90kWh. That seems a bit high compared to the 85 packs, which have been observed to make about 77-78 kWh usable. Take all these numbers with a grain of salt, but it's absolutely true that Tesla reserves some capacity at the low end to protect the pack from bricking.

I read somewhere on TMC that 340 Wh/mi equates to Rated range on the X. If true, and given the EPA range of 252 miles, it implies we have access to a usable 85.68kWh of the battery pack's rated 90kWh. That seems a bit high compared to the 85 packs, which have been observed to make about 77-78 kWh usable. Take all these numbers with a grain of salt, but it's absolutely true that Tesla reserves some capacity at the low end to protect the pack from bricking.

I was looking at our window sticker the other day, and on it it says the car uses 38kwh to go 100 miles (P90D). Doesn't that equate to 380wh/m to get rated, or is my math off?

Reactions: loganintx
I was looking at our window sticker the other day, and on it it says the car uses 38kwh to go 100 miles (P90D). Doesn't that equate to 380wh/m to get rated, or is my math off?

By golly, I dug out my Monroney sticker and found the same thing: 38 kWh per 100 miles (I have the 22" wheels, too). But that's at odds with the next line, which reads, 'When fully charged, vehicle can travel about 250 miles'. And my old Sig S had a fuel economy rating of 89 MPGe combined city and highway, exactly the same as the Model X. How can that be?