TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X Range

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by EVger, Sep 13, 2015.

1. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 Porsche 918 Hybrid

Tesla states that the 22" wheels have a significant range penalty of 10%-15% vs. the standard 20" wheel.

Model X range.PNG

2. systemcrashed

systemcrashed Please Reboot

@ptsagcy how long did the trip take? And how many times did you need to stop for charging? If you don't mind me asking.

3. Jurnimon

Jurnimon Member

Cool Pictures of your X! I rented that eThos Tesla in your pic a few weekends ago on a ski trip to Copper. Good to see that someone else rented the car and did the same trip as we did! :) I do hope that electric car rentals become more prevalent! I also noticed the great range on the way back to Golden/Denver. We didn't even need the top off at Silverthorn.

• Like x 1
  4. ptsagcy

ptsagcy Member

We took a bit of a scenic route going down the Del Marva
    Peninsula and back to I-95 after the bridge/tunnel. Going back north we charged at Santee and headed west to I-81. These routes are longer but a much more pleasant ride. We stayed overnight in Lumberton on the way down and Stateville on the way north. We charged 3 or 4 times on each leg and tried to plan our stops around meals and overnights. Woodland Park, NJ to Orlando was about 22 hours each way including all stops taking the "scenic" routes. The ride in the MX was amazing. The seating comfort and position were fantastic and auto pilot made it very relaxing and easy. This is by far the best road-trip car I've ever driven. I found the Nav system to be very accurate for planning charging stops but always added a little cushion of 30 miles or so to the recommended charge.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  5. vangogh

vangogh Member

I've got an avg of 376 after 5000 miles split probably 75% of highway driving at 73mph and 25% city driving
    20" wheels, Ludicrous on all the time (does it matter), and like to be quick off the line...climate control on 1/3 of the time

• Informative x 2
  6. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

Everyone needs to check their tires at least every other week if not weekly. I think a few pounds can make a sizable difference.

Today on a 120 mile trip with a few hills and limited climate control I got 325 average. Same trips before were around 340 so either the hills have changed or the car is a getting a bit better. I just have 1100 miles on it so far.

7. systemcrashed

I was told by a sales center rep that some of the newer software updates are designed to increase range... Maybe this is the "good stuff" Elon was hinting towards?

8. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

I was struggling with the same issue, I wanted black, but not 21". I wonder, is it possible to plasti-dip wheels to make them black?

• Love x 1
  9. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Yes. Entirely possible. If done right it's pretty durable too. For even more durability you can have them powder coated.

10. systemcrashed

If you want to stay stock 20" for best range powdercoat them. Shops around here charge around $150/wheel.

11. Jurnimon

Jurnimon Member

How cool would it be if the newer software access a previously hidden 10KW of battery on the MX 90D ;).

12. NovemberXray

NovemberXray Member

You probably already saw this, but you can get 20" turbine wheels from T-Sportline (tsportline.com - I have no affiliation, I've just been looking for winter wheels myself! :)), that looks identical to the OEM 22" wheels, but give you the better range and snow tire options of a 20" wheel. They have shiny black, matte black, silver, and gray...

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  13. MattXowner

MattXowner Member

Heard you can only access about 85% of battery capacity, so 90KW battery gives 76.5KW of accessible energy. Any truth to this? I'm not talking about charging to 80%, I'm saying if you charge to 100%, the car restricts access to full power. Any truth?

If that was the case on 76.5KW average mid 350wh/mile = 218 of actual range. 90KW would get the rated 257 range.

Accurate for current drivers? Access to all 90kw or is it true there's a 15% inaccessible portion?

14. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX;S90D;XP100D;3LR;YLR

I read somewhere on TMC that 340 Wh/mi equates to Rated range on the X. If true, and given the EPA range of 252 miles, it implies we have access to a usable 85.68kWh of the battery pack's rated 90kWh. That seems a bit high compared to the 85 packs, which have been observed to make about 77-78 kWh usable. Take all these numbers with a grain of salt, but it's absolutely true that Tesla reserves some capacity at the low end to protect the pack from bricking.

15. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I was looking at our window sticker the other day, and on it it says the car uses 38kwh to go 100 miles (P90D). Doesn't that equate to 380wh/m to get rated, or is my math off?

• Like x 1
  16. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

btw, if the above is true, that would equate 236 miles for a full 90kwh pack (90 / 38 = 2.368; 2.368 * 100 = 236.84)

17. loganintx

loganintx Member

Do you have 22" rims?

18. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Indeed I do. Perhaps the sticker is reflecting that?

19. loganintx

loganintx Member

This could maybe help answer that 10-15% reduced range that the 22" tires supposedly have. Would like to see what someone else has on their sticker that has the 20" wheels!

• Like x 1
  20. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX;S90D;XP100D;3LR;YLR

By golly, I dug out my Monroney sticker and found the same thing: 38 kWh per 100 miles (I have the 22" wheels, too). But that's at odds with the next line, which reads, 'When fully charged, vehicle can travel about 250 miles'. And my old Sig S had a fuel economy rating of 89 MPGe combined city and highway, exactly the same as the Model X. How can that be?