Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(someone told me that rain decreases your range, not sure if that is true)

Rain and wind (and I suppose elevation) are your biggest uncontrollable enemies. Rain makes a very big difference - it's physics and it's a fact.

You've certainly got me concerned. That's a very high average. If you compare unfavorably to other MXs (hopefully they'll chime in), you can check tire pressure, alignment, and most certainly schedule a service appointment. 425 is, in my view, unacceptable. I average 296 in my MS over 30k miles with lots of varied road trip terrain and weather.

Rain and wind (and I suppose elevation) are your biggest uncontrollable enemies. Rain makes a very big difference - it's physics and it's a fact.

You've certainly got me concerned. That's a very high average. If you compare unfavorably to other MXs (hopefully they'll chime in), you can check tire pressure, alignment, and most certainly schedule a service appointment. 425 is, in my view, unacceptable. I average 296 in my MS over 30k miles with lots of varied road trip terrain and weather.

This would be really bad for the 70Ds..........

I just took a long road trip from Tacoma, WA to Ashland, OR. Roughly 425 miles each way. Six people in the car with light luggage for 3 days but the car was pretty much maxed out for space. I had to use every supercharger on the route. Terrible weather on the way down, (someone told me that rain decreases your range, not sure if that is true). Better weather on the way back. On the way down, I was 450 w/m. On the way back, I was 380 w/m. I wasn't sure that I would make it on the longest leg of 135 miles between stations. 2500 miles on the car so far and the average is 425 w/m. I can't come close to the rated 320 w/m. I think the realistic range is 150-175 miles per charge at 90%.

I'm really disappointed by this. It puts me on the edge of my daily driving for work. I'm going to have to install a HPWC at my office location for those times that I travel to my furthest business. It's significantly less range than the MS. I'd like to hear from anyone else if there is something I can do differently. Most of my miles are on the freeway at 65 mph which doesn't seem to me to be an excessive speed.

Roamer posted that he was getting 400+ w/m initially, but that it dropped well below 400 w/m after the tires/tyres were worn in. How many miles have you done on those tires?

Also, I assume that having 6 people in the car loaded with luggage is also going to reduce your w/m. When driving to work, do you car pool with 5 other people? If not, you should expect much better range, especially after the tires have worn in.

I just took a long road trip from Tacoma, WA to Ashland, OR. Roughly 425 miles each way. Six people in the car with light luggage for 3 days but the car was pretty much maxed out for space. I had to use every supercharger on the route. Terrible weather on the way down, (someone told me that rain decreases your range, not sure if that is true). Better weather on the way back. On the way down, I was 450 w/m. On the way back, I was 380 w/m. I wasn't sure that I would make it on the longest leg of 135 miles between stations. 2500 miles on the car so far and the average is 425 w/m. I can't come close to the rated 320 w/m. I think the realistic range is 150-175 miles per charge at 90%.

I'm really disappointed by this. It puts me on the edge of my daily driving for work. I'm going to have to install a HPWC at my office location for those times that I travel to my furthest business. It's significantly less range than the MS. I'd like to hear from anyone else if there is something I can do differently. Most of my miles are on the freeway at 65 mph which doesn't seem to me to be an excessive speed.

How have temperature, rain and climate control use been over all of your miles?
What wheel size do you have? Larger wheels are less efficient. Tires themselves also have an impact.
What tire pressures do you use? Tire pressures affect rolling resistance and so can make a noticeable difference with heavier vehicles.
What's the terrain like on your drives? Gravity has a significant effect for heavy vehicles.
65 mph isn't excessive speed, but it faster than the EPA testing average. And if you're actually not doing a steady 65mph, but TACCing a lot, that'll increase the amount of acceleration you're doing and that'll exacerbate the energy use.

With the added, maybe 800 pounds of passengers and cargo, the rolling friction energy is bumped by 15% and it is already 10% more than the S. So that's about 26% more than roughly 140 wh/mile. That's almost 180 wh/mile to begin with. Add maybe 20% more wind resistance that could give up to about 220 wh/mile at 65 mph for a total of 400. If you had hilly terrain, rain, higher speed, 440 is not out of the ballpark.

<snip>
Terrible weather on the way down, (someone told me that rain decreases your range, not sure if that is true).
<snip>

Pretty considerable if you look at various references.

The primary reason is the increase in rolling resistance encountered on wet roads. Tires are engineered to displace water and maintain contact with the road. Channeling the water away, however, increases rolling resistance and
the vehicle must work a little harder to move down the road. If you’ve ever driven through a big puddle at speed, you’ve probably experienced how much water on the road slows a car.
Via: Expect Lower Mileage When It Rains | Frugal Driver

I've often wondered what impact a wet road has on fuel consumption. the most obvious drag you feel is when you hit a deep patch of standing water, but there must also be a continuous low-level drag as the tires "part" the water and throw a constant spray behind them. (not to mention the added electrical load of lights & wipers if it's raining.)
I've looked around a few times for info on this, and have only come up with one page.
The claims are pretty astounding - with the result that i'm somewhat skeptical. but I haven't found any competing information on which to base (or reduce) my skepticism.
The claim is:
Quote:

How about Rain; will it hurt my mileage? The first screenshot shows a baseline with no Rain. [With] 'Light Rain' [...] we see the MPG has dropped from 47.69 to 40.77 MPG. (source)
That's a mileage drop of 14.5% in the wet. The calculation is for a Prius at 65 mph at 37F.

(Note: this is a calculation, not an observed/tested result. but I've read quite a bit on this guy's site (prius aficionado), and he's clearly on the ball. the calculation is from a complex palm application that calculates energy use based on a multitude of adjustable variables.).
Via: Effect of wet roads on efficiency: estimated 14.5% MPG drop - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

Rain, wind, etc is the norm. In Washington, that's what we have all the time. Bottom line, I'm not the millionaire buying this car to sit in a showroom. I drive close to 100 miles daily and often get to the 200 miles in a day. That's part of what made the economics of this car make sense. If I'm limited to 150-175 miles and sweating if it's a windy or rainy day and can I make it home, it just doesn't work. 250 miles on a 100% charge, 225 on a standard 90% charge, these worked. Anticipating days with only 150 range doesn't work. Has anyone else worked with tesla on this issue?

Rain, wind, etc is the norm. In Washington, that's what we have all the time. Bottom line, I'm not the millionaire buying this car to sit in a showroom. I drive close to 100 miles daily and often get to the 200 miles in a day. That's part of what made the economics of this car make sense. If I'm limited to 150-175 miles and sweating if it's a windy or rainy day and can I make it home, it just doesn't work. 250 miles on a 100% charge, 225 on a standard 90% charge, these worked. Anticipating days with only 150 range doesn't work. Has anyone else worked with tesla on this issue?

I strongly recommend you talk to them. It's a valid complaint and it should be at least assessed. I know they're shipping the new MXs with summer tires. You may consider that (should be fine in Tacoma year round). They may also encourage you to adopt 20" wheels, which I'd suggest anyway. Hopefully they'll do that free of charge..

As others have suggested, talk to TM...but definitely go with 20" wheel/tire set...and realize that on those rare 200 mile days you may have to plan a charge along the way or drive at 55-60mph on the highways.

I know they're shipping the new MXs with summer tires.

Perhaps *some*, but not *all*. If it's anything like the Model S ramp-up, they'll use a couple of tire brands.

Our car has the CrossContact LX's.

Driving the speed limit back from delivery in 50ish degree weather, we were able to achieve rated miles.

I haven't done any more extensive tests, but it is possible to get what you need out of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Negative. the Summer tires reduce range in exchange for improved handling - reportedly. Sorry, no link (again) check the TM X design studio.

Yes, the sticky tires provide more rolling resistance.

22" or 20" wheels?

Perhaps *some*, but not *all*. If it's anything like the Model S ramp-up, they'll use a couple of tire brands.

Our car has the CrossContact LX's.

Driving the speed limit back from delivery in 50ish degree weather, we were able to achieve rated miles.

I haven't done any more extensive tests, but it is possible to get what you need out of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, the sticky tires provide more rolling resistance.

So far the evidence suggests that Founders & Signatures get all season tires while Production P90D gets summer tires.