TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X Range

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by EVger, Sep 13, 2015.

1. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Rain and wind (and I suppose elevation) are your biggest uncontrollable enemies. Rain makes a very big difference - it's physics and it's a fact.

You've certainly got me concerned. That's a very high average. If you compare unfavorably to other MXs (hopefully they'll chime in), you can check tire pressure, alignment, and most certainly schedule a service appointment. 425 is, in my view, unacceptable. I average 296 in my MS over 30k miles with lots of varied road trip terrain and weather.

2. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

This would be really bad for the 70Ds..........

3. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

Roamer posted that he was getting 400+ w/m initially, but that it dropped well below 400 w/m after the tires/tyres were worn in. How many miles have you done on those tires?

Also, I assume that having 6 people in the car loaded with luggage is also going to reduce your w/m. When driving to work, do you car pool with 5 other people? If not, you should expect much better range, especially after the tires have worn in.

4. ohmman

I just put new tires on my MS and haven't had to 'break them in'. My consumption is exactly where it was prior to their installation. Seems like Roamer maybe had something else affecting early range. Has anyone else had to 'break in' their tires?

5. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

Maybe that is the reason why Tesla switched from the All-Season to the Summer tires?

6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

How have temperature, rain and climate control use been over all of your miles?
    What wheel size do you have? Larger wheels are less efficient. Tires themselves also have an impact.
    What tire pressures do you use? Tire pressures affect rolling resistance and so can make a noticeable difference with heavier vehicles.
    What's the terrain like on your drives? Gravity has a significant effect for heavy vehicles.
    65 mph isn't excessive speed, but it faster than the EPA testing average. And if you're actually not doing a steady 65mph, but TACCing a lot, that'll increase the amount of acceleration you're doing and that'll exacerbate the energy use.

7. Fonguy

Fonguy Member

With the added, maybe 800 pounds of passengers and cargo, the rolling friction energy is bumped by 15% and it is already 10% more than the S. So that's about 26% more than roughly 140 wh/mile. That's almost 180 wh/mile to begin with. Add maybe 20% more wind resistance that could give up to about 220 wh/mile at 65 mph for a total of 400. If you had hilly terrain, rain, higher speed, 440 is not out of the ballpark.

8. O-G

O-G Member

Yes. 22s with the factory perelli tires. I wonder if a different tire would make a difference. I've had good luck with continentals in the past.

9. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

Pretty considerable if you look at various references.

Via: Expect Lower Mileage When It Rains | Frugal Driver

Via: Effect of wet roads on efficiency: estimated 14.5% MPG drop - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

10. O-G

O-G Member

Rain, wind, etc is the norm. In Washington, that's what we have all the time. Bottom line, I'm not the millionaire buying this car to sit in a showroom. I drive close to 100 miles daily and often get to the 200 miles in a day. That's part of what made the economics of this car make sense. If I'm limited to 150-175 miles and sweating if it's a windy or rainy day and can I make it home, it just doesn't work. 250 miles on a 100% charge, 225 on a standard 90% charge, these worked. Anticipating days with only 150 range doesn't work. Has anyone else worked with tesla on this issue?

11. ohmman

I strongly recommend you talk to them. It's a valid complaint and it should be at least assessed. I know they're shipping the new MXs with summer tires. You may consider that (should be fine in Tacoma year round). They may also encourage you to adopt 20" wheels, which I'd suggest anyway. Hopefully they'll do that free of charge..

12. LargeHamCollider

LargeHamCollider Battery cells != scalable

O-G, in your situation you really should go with the 20" wheels, also new car energy usage is 5% higher per JB.

13. AlMc

As others have suggested, talk to TM...but definitely go with 20" wheel/tire set...and realize that on those rare 200 mile days you may have to plan a charge along the way or drive at 55-60mph on the highways.

14. MikeL

MikeL some guy

Negative. the Summer tires reduce range in exchange for improved handling - reportedly. Sorry, no link (again) check the TM X design studio.

15. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Perhaps *some*, but not *all*. If it's anything like the Model S ramp-up, they'll use a couple of tire brands.

Our car has the CrossContact LX's.

Driving the speed limit back from delivery in 50ish degree weather, we were able to achieve rated miles.

I haven't done any more extensive tests, but it is possible to get what you need out of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, the sticky tires provide more rolling resistance.

16. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

22" or 20" wheels?

17. AlMc

Upthread he said 22".

18. timf

timf Active Member

So far the evidence suggests that Founders & Signatures get all season tires while Production P90D gets summer tires.

19. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

The sample size isn't all that large, so I'm just cautioning against making that assumption.

20. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

It just as easily be by date, which would look like sigs and founders...