TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X Range

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by EVger, Sep 13, 2015.

1. PGeer

PGeer Member

Mind you, that's 4000 miles of freeway driving. I'm doing a bit worse (380-sh) around home where there are hills and lots of start stops.

2. MarchX

MarchX Member

Picked up my 90D, one of the first non-P's to be delivered yesterday at Fremont.
    Drove home to the Central Coast (South of San Luis Obispo), so no net elevation change.
    221 miles average 319 Wh / mile. Mostly freeway speeds of upper 60s to lower 70s

• Informative x 1
  3. MarchX

MarchX Member

And by the way, the spoiler on my 90 D is active!

• Informative x 2
  4. openwyder

openwyder Member

Rear Pics Please!:)

5. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

This is excellent preliminary information! Thanks, keep us updated.

6. McManX

McManX Member

Really? Would love to see pics!

7. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

Is it really active (i.e. adjust with speed), or does it just retract when car is locked? Either way, it’s great. I almost upgraded to the P90D model to get the retracting (when parked) spoiler, but wanted the little extra range the 90D provides.

8. MarchX

MarchX Member

#148 MarchX, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    90D spoiler4.jpg 90D side fwd open.jpg 90D front fwd open.jpg 90D spoiler up.jpg i'm guessing it's active, but hard to tell when driving if the changes are subtle. All I know for sure is it retracts and goes up.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  9. LeonardD

LeonardD Member

From what I have heard, with the P90D it is very obvious when the position changes, so the fact that it retracts is not an indication that it is "active" (actively changing at different speeds). Either way, I am glad that it retracts. I think it is in Tesla's best interest to do whatever it takes to maximize range.

Your car is beautiful. Congratulations and thanks for posting the pictures.

10. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Congrats, did they give you a sunshade when you picked up the car? Any updates on the all weather mats

11. pvogel

pvogel Member

It's *quite* evident when things change. Slow speed the 'max visibility' position has the spoiler looking like a Very thin line in the rear view mirror, as you speed up and it goes to range position the spoiler blocks about half of the view through the glass underneath it.

Max visibility position shown in the attached photo

Attached Files:

12. MarchX

MarchX Member

No sunshade - I asked and was told I would eventually get one - kind of vague answer by the dos
    Did not inquire about all weather mats

13. MarchX

MarchX Member

Thanks for that input and photo - I'll see if there is anything more than fully up or retracted tomorrow

14. johnc11050

johnc11050 Member

Thanks for the update on the 'active' or 'non active' spoiler. Valuable info on this forum as there is no other way we would find out about these 'changes'. Somehow DS sometimes do not get the info. Thanks again and enjoy!!!

15. gmtom1

gmtom1 Member

Are there any settings in the controls screen for the spoiler? I believe the P model with the "active" spoiler has a control toggle on the settings screen to control if/when the spoiler goes up or down.

Ok, so now that we know that, does this mean the "non-active" spoiler on the 70D will be the same? i.e. retracts flush when parked?

From a practical standpoint, I still maintain the "non-active" spoiler should still retract fully, otherwise you could be in for some damage if you went through an automatic car wash.

16. Blurry_Eyed

Blurry_Eyed MS Sig #267, MX Sig # 761

The spoiler will be about level until you get to about 42 miles per hour. The easiest way to see if you have an active spoiler is to note the spoiler position when first driving. Then take a look at it while you are on the freeway. If it's in a different position than when you first started driving the car, then I would assume it's active. If it's in the same position as when you first started driving the car, then it's not active.

The two positions I see in our 'Active' spoiler are basically level, starting out driving to around 42 miles per hour. Then it tilts back about 30 or 40 degrees so you can see the underside of the spoiler (Basically it's smoothing out the airflow to create less turbulence behind the car).

17. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

The question, assuming that the 90D spoilers are motorized like @MarchX has shown, is why wouldn't they include the "active" portion? Obviously it's a tiny software thing - is that worth holding back from 90D vs P90D? I would have thought it would be a fixed spoiler, which would indeed save some cost.. but this is a little strange. I realize there is a history of software restrictions available "for pay", but this one just seems odd considering it can help with range.

18. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Right, and going up to a P90D to get a feature that helps range is counter-intuitive seeing how you apparently lose range due to the P motor.

19. quartzav

quartzav Member

I suspect that this is part of the effort to upsell P90D. Since both already meet Elon's definition of "enough range". Through this to artificially narrow P90D and 90D to have only 7 miles EPA estimated differences. (Asides extremely optimistic protection on P90D range to start with?)

20. MarchX

MarchX Member

Just back from a spoiler test ride and the definitive answer is in:

on the 90D the spoiler is definitely NOT inactive.......once I hit mid 40's it tipped down dramatically.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1