Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
90D spoiler4.jpg
90D side fwd open.jpg
90D front fwd open.jpg
90D spoiler up.jpg
i'm guessing it's active, but hard to tell when driving if the changes are subtle. All I know for sure is it retracts and goes up.

Last edited:
From what I have heard, with the P90D it is very obvious when the position changes, so the fact that it retracts is not an indication that it is "active" (actively changing at different speeds). Either way, I am glad that it retracts. I think it is in Tesla's best interest to do whatever it takes to maximize range.

Your car is beautiful. Congratulations and thanks for posting the pictures.

View attachment 167847 View attachment 167851View attachment 167854 View attachment 167855 i'm guessing it's active, but hard to tell when driving if the changes are subtle. All I know for sure is it retracts and goes up.
It's *quite* evident when things change. Slow speed the 'max visibility' position has the spoiler looking like a Very thin line in the rear view mirror, as you speed up and it goes to range position the spoiler blocks about half of the view through the glass underneath it.

Max visibility position shown in the attached photo

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    450.1 KB · Views: 269
It's *quite* evident when things change. Slow speed the 'max visibility' position has the spoiler looking like a Very thin line in the rear view mirror, as you speed up and it goes to range position the spoiler blocks about half of the view through the glass underneath it.

Max visibility position shown in the attached photo

Thanks for that input and photo - I'll see if there is anything more than fully up or retracted tomorrow

And by the way, the spoiler on my 90 D is active!

Are there any settings in the controls screen for the spoiler? I believe the P model with the "active" spoiler has a control toggle on the settings screen to control if/when the spoiler goes up or down.

Ok, so now that we know that, does this mean the "non-active" spoiler on the 70D will be the same? i.e. retracts flush when parked?

From a practical standpoint, I still maintain the "non-active" spoiler should still retract fully, otherwise you could be in for some damage if you went through an automatic car wash.

The spoiler will be about level until you get to about 42 miles per hour. The easiest way to see if you have an active spoiler is to note the spoiler position when first driving. Then take a look at it while you are on the freeway. If it's in a different position than when you first started driving the car, then I would assume it's active. If it's in the same position as when you first started driving the car, then it's not active.

The two positions I see in our 'Active' spoiler are basically level, starting out driving to around 42 miles per hour. Then it tilts back about 30 or 40 degrees so you can see the underside of the spoiler (Basically it's smoothing out the airflow to create less turbulence behind the car).

The question, assuming that the 90D spoilers are motorized like @MarchX has shown, is why wouldn't they include the "active" portion? Obviously it's a tiny software thing - is that worth holding back from 90D vs P90D? I would have thought it would be a fixed spoiler, which would indeed save some cost.. but this is a little strange. I realize there is a history of software restrictions available "for pay", but this one just seems odd considering it can help with range.

I suspect that this is part of the effort to upsell P90D. Since both already meet Elon's definition of "enough range". Through this to artificially narrow P90D and 90D to have only 7 miles EPA estimated differences. (Asides extremely optimistic protection on P90D range to start with?)