TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X Range

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by EVger, Sep 13, 2015.

1. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Well, well, well. Thanks for this. So that leaves us to wonder if this is something just limited to the early 90Ds (before they're able to implement fixed spoiler), or just a communication snafu at configuration, or what. I'm hopeful nobody purchased the P90D exclusively for the purpose of getting an adaptive spoiler - if they did, I'm guessing we'll be hearing from them shortly below.

• Like x 1
  2. JimVandegriff

JimVandegriff Member

Thanks for that report, MarchX.

3. gmtom1

gmtom1 Active Member

Thanks for the report! Is there anything in the settings page for the spoiler on your 90D? The manual for the X indicates there should be a settings control for the spoiler, but I think it's describing the P90D function.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out once the 70D deliveries start. Based purely on the design studio specifications and description, there should be no difference in how the spoiler functions between the 70D and 90D. It could just be a case where the differentiating factor in P90 vs. 90 is the ability to adjust the spoiler via settings.

4. MarchX

MarchX Member

In the settings page there is one setting for automatic or extended ( under service and reset tab)

5. McManX

McManX Member

Interesting ... Do we know what the setting options are on the P90D

6. proven

proven Member

We got the P90D but we didn't get it because of the spoiler. However, the fact that it was advertised as an extra feature in the $20k upgrade and then it turns out not to be is kind of a low blow. It was probably made to simplify manufacturing, but it's still a case of misleading information.

7. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

FTFY :p

• Funny x 3
  8. MrBoylan

MrBoylan Member

Nice bonus for 90D owners. Thanks for sharing. Let's hope they don't disable that feature with a firmware update!

9. PGeer

PGeer Member

An update. Based on 4700 miles now, mixed freeway and rural, my overall average "mileage" is 347wh/mile. Although we spent time in Arizona, much of the recent driving has been in 45-50deg weather. I'm betting this number will improve during Spring/Summer.

10. loganintx

loganintx Member

Thanks for the data update. I've based my fuel savings calculation using 350 Wh/mile so I'm glad I'm seeing data supporting this for mixed use driving.

11. pvogel

pvogel Member

I'm seeing similar numbers for the ~200 miles I drove over the weekend. Highway driving I was running lower than that, town driving was higher.

• Like x 1
  12. MrBoylan

MrBoylan Member

Yay. Glad to see you finally got your car (been out of the X loop for a while). Congrats!

• Like x 1
  13. pvogel

pvogel Member

Yep! Got mine Thursday evening and loving it! Took an act of willpower to ride my bicycle to work as usual instead of driving this morning!

• Like x 3
  14. ptsagcy

ptsagcy Member

Are you just using the trip meter and not resetting it or is there another way to see Wh/M somewhere?

15. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

The standard thing to do "around here" is to leave Trip A as your overall mileage average (i.e. never reset it). Trip B is for longish trips. And the automatic trip meter is for start/stops.

• Like x 2
  16. ptsagcy

ptsagcy Member

Sounds like a plan - thanks

17. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

We just got our regular 90D last night and had a 160 mile trip back home from Fremont. 680 was a parking lot and stop and go. Oddly the kwh/mi was around 328. Later when we got up to speed (averaging 65-70) it improved. Outside temp was around 80 degrees F and we did not have the AC on at first but later at 75 degrees F.

The first picture was an hour and half into the drive where it was mostly stop and go. Note we only went 32.6 miles in that time. Welcome to the Bay Area on a evening commute. The Wh/mi is around 327. Probably what you would expect for a 90D.

IMG_3861.JPG

This next picture is much later into the drive where we have been averaging around 65 to 70 mph. The Wh/mi has dropped to 316. The outside temp started around 80 and lowered to 75. The car was set at 75 with the back turned off.

IMG_3873.JPG

When we pulled into the supercharger in Folsom to top the car off and get a bit to each this is what was displayed:

IMG_3874.JPG

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 1
  18. BrettH

BrettH Member

@aesculus thanks for the trip info in your 90D! Is that the standard Tesla navigation in the first photo? I thought Tesla used Google Maps navigation? Did you notice if your spoiler was active too (goes down when off, and lowers above 40 mph)?

19. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Google is used on the big screen in the center console. The dash behind the steering wheel is navigon

• Like x 1
  20. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

The spoiler is fully active. Nice gift.

• Like x 1