Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Practical mileage on a single charge for a model x p90d

between 1580 carroll drive nw 30318 and 298 mcintosh circle hayesville nc 28904
View attachment 107733

These numbers are about as worst case as I could imagine.
New tires
600 miles loaded heavy
Almost all miles run at 70 to 80 mph
1500 miles in below freezing temps
at least twenty test drives each with several Ludicrous full power runs.

Lifetime (15,000 miles) on my P85D is 352 Wh/mi. 90% highway including running the same trip in the summer I just finished in the winter in the new X.

I expect the X to average out a little higher than the P85D on staggered 21's. Based on my runs I anticipate for my Southwest freeway driving it will settle in between 355 and 365. My wife who will be primarily driving city will likely produce better numbers than my lead foot highway runs have produced.

I will let you know in 12 months if I am close on my projection.

Sorry I am not a detailed record keeper. To busy Roaming.

Does anyone know, if you drive normally in ludicrous mode, does it use more energy than driving normally in sport mode? I'm still struggling with the actual power consumption in the MX versus the rated range. I was assuming the ludicrous mode would take more power only when demanded but maybe that's wrong.

Driving "normally" in L should deliver same range. In fact, the only difference between P and non is the extra weight of the rear motor and the bigger inverter. So you should really get the same range as a 90D. EXCEPT! for the fact that you are a human being and the constant little inputs to the car from your brain and muscles (and hauling that extra weight up every hill) that you just can't help. Theoretically same, try it, let us know how it goes. :smile:

Took a road trip this weekend. Still can't quite figure out the range. Traveled about 150 miles each way. On the way there, consumption was 454 w/mile. On the way back, 390. Same route, Seattle to Portland. I don't think there is a big elevation change. Roughly the same outside temp. Same load in the car. Same settings. Don't know how there can be that much difference.

Edit: Forgot to mention, did 74 MPH in the 70 zones which is probably 70% of the freeway miles. Did 67 MPH in the remaining 60 zones. Same speeds both ways. 22" wheels.

Last edited:
Took a road trip this weekend. Still can't quite figure out the range. Traveled about 150 miles each way. On the way there, consumption was 454 w/mile. On the way back, 390. Same route, Seattle to Portland. I don't think there is a big elevation change. Roughly the same outside temp. Same load in the car. Same settings. Don't know how there can be that much difference.

Edit: Forgot to mention, did 74 MPH in the 70 zones which is probably 70% of the freeway miles. Did 67 MPH in the remaining 60 zones. Same speeds both ways. 22" wheels.

Might be tires breaking in a bit more as well. What's the mileage on your X now? We have about 1,500 miles on it and it does seem as if the range is improving a bit as the tires get some miles on them.

Wind speed is often the biggest factor in mystery energy consumption changes. If the windspeed is 10 mph that's a pretty light wind you wouldn't take much notice of, but at 74 mph a 10 mph headwind will make you consume energy like you are going 84 mph, which is a huge difference.

Wind speed is often the biggest factor in mystery energy consumption changes. If the windspeed is 10 mph that's a pretty light wind you wouldn't take much notice of, but at 74 mph a 10 mph headwind will make you consume energy like you are going 84 mph, which is a huge difference.

Exactly!

The other way, with the tail wind, it is equivalent to 64 mph wind. The difference between 84 mph and 64 mph wind resistance is very large. The aerodynamic portion of the drag at 84 mph is almost twice as much as the aerodynamic drag at 64 mph aerodynamic drag scales as the square of airspeed.

Might be tires breaking in a bit more as well. What's the mileage on your X now? We have about 1,500 miles on it and it does seem as if the range is improving a bit as the tires get some miles on them.

Im at about 1500 miles myself. Do you have 22" or 20" wheels. The tesla rep told me the 22's could cost me 10-20 miles per charge. I can't get even close to the 300w/m rated range. Since inception, I'm about 420. That's a big difference.

Im at about 1500 miles myself. Do you have 22" or 20" wheels. The tesla rep told me the 22's could cost me 10-20 miles per charge. I can't get even close to the 300w/m rated range. Since inception, I'm about 420. That's a big difference.

who ever said rated range on the X would be 300Wh/mi?? I would expect it to be closer to 360-370Wh/mi based on how much heavier it is and less aerodynamic than the S.

who ever said rated range on the X would be 300Wh/mi?? I would expect it to be closer to 360-370Wh/mi based on how much heavier it is and less aerodynamic than the S.

The whole system is still based on that rated range. So... When I start in the morning at 90% charge and it says 227 miles, I'm really not even close to that. 180 is probably a realistic range. If I charge to 100%, it says 248 miles but 200 is probably real. That's quite a difference. I'm planning a trip with 6 people and full luggage. Going through some mountains. I'm not even sure if we can make it between superchargers.

The Model X P90D has a rated range of 250 miles, and a 90kWh pack, that puts rated average consumption at 360Wh/mile. Far from the 300 you are quoting, which is about the rated average consumption of a Model S

That 90kWh pack isn't fully usable, as your math suggests. Even if it is a 90kWh pack (recent thread implies that maybe the packs aren't exactly as denoted), you're still going to have reserve capacity that isn't usable. It's definitely higher than 300Wh/mile, though - maybe more like 340-345.

That 90kWh pack isn't fully usable, as your math suggests. Even if it is a 90kWh pack (recent thread implies that maybe the packs aren't exactly as denoted), you're still going to have reserve capacity that isn't usable. It's definitely higher than 300Wh/mile, though - maybe more like 340-345.

Good point! Derating the pack by 5% gets you to 85,500Wh, dividing by 250 you come to 342Wh/mile.

Good point! Derating the pack by 5% gets you to 85,500Wh, dividing by 250 you come to 342Wh/mile.

Several posts have shown that the usable energy in the 85 kWh pack is 77 kWh. As a crude approximation, add 5 kWh to that for the 90 pack. That gives 82 kWh. 82 kWh / 250 rated miles gives 328 Wh/mi.

A better test is to do a drive of over 100 miles without stopping. You need over 100 miles to reduced the quantization noise caused by rated miles only being displayed in whole numbers. Record the rated miles at the beginning and that the end, along with the actual miles driven. Then do the normalization calculation:

Wh/Rated Mile = Actual Wh/mi * Actual miles driven / Rated miles used​

When I did this many times on my new P85 3 years ago, I got an average of 290 Wh/rated mile. That is remarkably close to 77 kWh/265 rated mile; when new, my P85 had 265 rated miles on a 100% charge.

BTW, those calculations are for Wh/rated mile out of the battery. As an example, the rough numbers for other situations on the original 85 Model S are below.

• 290 Wh/mi — Energy out of the battery while driving.
  • 300 Wh/mi — DC Energy into the battery, such as at a Supercharger. About 3.3% charge/discharge loss.
  • 333 Wh/mi — AC energy into the battery, such as AC charging at home. About a 10% loss in the AC chargers.

I assume that they would all scale for the Model X. If 328 Wh/rated mile is the correct number, then the other values would be:

• 328 Wh/mi — Energy out of the battery while driving.
  • 339 Wh/mi — DC Energy into the battery, such as at a Supercharger. About 3.3% charge/discharge loss.
  • 377 Wh/mi — AC energy into the battery, such as AC charging at home. About a 10% loss in the AC chargers.

Last edited:

i haven't done anywhere near that in driving, but I haven't been able to break the 400 mark either. The X does have 22's

Maybe another way to think about this is that, if there are about 80 kWh available with the 90 kWh pack and 257 rated miles for the X90D, the official ratio is about 80,000/257= about 311 wh/rated mile. Looking at it another way, the X is supposed to be about 4 % heavier than the S. Rolling friction for the S is worth about 140 wh/mile. Rolling friction is proportional to weight. Therefore the X should consume about 146 wh/mile due to rolling friction. The aerodynamic drag or air friction for the S accounts for about 180 wh/mile at 65 mph. The X has about the same drag coefficient as the S but a bigger cross-section, maybe 10% or about 200 wh/mile? The total energy used by the X at 65 mph then should be in the area of 345-350 wh/mile, about 9% more than the S. The average consumption for the S per rated mile is about 280 wh/mile so the comparable figure for the X ought to be about 305 wh per rated mile. This compares reasonably well to the official 311 number, if the 80 kWh availability is about right, considering the approximations and guesswork involved.

After making many trips....I now know with my driving habits I will never get anywhere neat 250miles on a charge....
I'm planning for a max run of 150 miles (never charging above 240 and never dropping below 30)...

Wow - that's disappointing. Is it because you drive fast, in hilly terrain, cold weather, new tires not broken in? I'm planning a couple of trips from NJ to Richmond and to Orlando in March and April. They will be a good test. I'm sure hoping for better than that. We'll see. :confused:

After making many trips....I now know with my driving habits I will never get anywhere neat 250miles on a charge....
I'm planning for a max run of 150 miles (never charging above 240 and never dropping below 30)...

At least you know it's you and not the car. ;) I've never gotten 250 out of my Model S and I'm supposed to be able to. Then again, I have a good time burning all that extra juice.