Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took a long road trip from Tacoma, WA to Ashland, OR. Roughly 425 miles each way. Six people in the car with light luggage for 3 days but the car was pretty much maxed out for space. I had to use every supercharger on the route. Terrible weather on the way down, (someone told me that rain decreases your range, not sure if that is true). Better weather on the way back. On the way down, I was 450 w/m. On the way back, I was 380 w/m. I wasn't sure that I would make it on the longest leg of 135 miles between stations. 2500 miles on the car so far and the average is 425 w/m. I can't come close to the rated 320 w/m. I think the realistic range is 150-175 miles per charge at 90%.

I'm really disappointed by this. It puts me on the edge of my daily driving for work. I'm going to have to install a HPWC at my office location for those times that I travel to my furthest business. It's significantly less range than the MS. I'd like to hear from anyone else if there is something I can do differently. Most of my miles are on the freeway at 65 mph which doesn't seem to me to be an excessive speed.
Did you have the car set to Range mode? If not, that may help you gain a few more percentage points of efficiency.

Yesterday was the first reasonable day that we've had since delivery temperature-wise... At 60 degrees all day, my wife achieved rated range (right at 340 Wh/mi) on a 100 mile trip to St. Louis and back - a mixture of state highways, Interstate highways, and city driving. It looks like there may be a bigger "winter penalty" to Model X than Model S, which makes sense because it's a bigger vehicle. As for spring/summer/autumn, it's looking like we'll be comfortable with the range.

Yep. Remember. Colder air is significantly more sense than warm air, so a larger cross section with the same Cd in cold air will carry a larger penalty for thrust necessary to overcome drag.

I knew all of that, but I didn't realize the delta between winter-summer was going to be *that much* significantly larger for Model X vs. Model S. We rather liked the ability to skip every other supercharger on our long trips in the S - not sure we can do that in the X.

Yesterday was the first reasonable day that we've had since delivery temperature-wise... At 60 degrees all day, my wife achieved rated range (right at 340 Wh/mi) on a 100 mile trip to St. Louis and back - a mixture of state highways, Interstate highways, and city driving. It looks like there may be a bigger "winter penalty" to Model X than Model S, which makes sense because it's a bigger vehicle. As for spring/summer/autumn, it's looking like we'll be comfortable with the range.

Thanks for that data point. :wink:

Thanks. This provides a little relief - I'm hoping with my 90D+20s, I will be able to achieve similar results. Regarding skipping Superchargers, it is nice sometimes (especially if you have a longish meal at one and leave with a high SOC). Still, you can take solace in the fact that stopping at each SC should theoretically get you "there" sooner..

What makes you believe the rated range to be 340 Wh/mi? I was under the impression it is closer to 300. 314 sticks in my mind but I'm not sure now where I got that from. If I extrapolate actual miles and Wh/mi versus what I think is rated, it seems like the math works at the 300 level or so.

Yep. Remember. Colder air is significantly more sense than warm air, so a larger cross section with the same Cd in cold air will carry a larger penalty for thrust necessary to overcome drag.

I would think it's more about cabin heating and the heating of the battery. But what do I know. I don't even have 1 mile of experience with a Tesla yet. I just read the info on these forums.:wink:

What makes you believe the rated range to be 340 Wh/mi? I was under the impression it is closer to 300. 314 sticks in my mind but I'm not sure now where I got that from. If I extrapolate actual miles and Wh/mi versus what I think is rated, it seems like the math works at the 300 level or so.

FlasherZ might have better math than this, but..

Assuming about 7% reserve capacity:

(0.93 * 90000Wh) / 250 mi EPA range = 334.8Wh/mi

The lower the estimated reserve, the lower the rated consumption obviously.

Definitely not 300. Here's the graph:

bc632f8a4dcf50c1d83c3cd8f7ab8bda.jpg

Note the rated line is a bit more than halfway between 300 and my average of 377 (don't judge, we were having fun today). That's about 340ish.

Does Tesla state the number for any models? Since everything seems to be based on this number, it's seems that it should be a known number. We should not be estimating based upon the lines on a graph. How does this factor into the trip system calculator?

Does Tesla state the number for any models? Since everything seems to be based on this number, it's seems that it should be a known number. We should not be estimating based upon the lines on a graph. How does this factor into the trip system calculator?
That's fine if you want 342 vs. 346, but I think lines on the graph is sufficient for knowing 340 vs. 300.

Just for another comparison, we picked up our X in Seattle and drove via Tacoma back to Port Townsend--about 120 miles. We had the heaviest rain I can remember. Two of us in car. I averaged 60 most of the way. Got home with average 385 wh/m. I was quite pleased. (20" wheels.) BTW - somehow I refrained from flooring it that whole first trip. Based on our Leaf and all other posts, single biggest factor is average speed. We're about to head down to Phoenix for a two week trip and will report averages.

Your mileage is very similar to what the model S was getting while towing, considering your reporting heavy loads in a vehicle that has a larger frontal area. Your getting exactly what I would expect and well within range of accessing supercharger distance.

​Apologies if this has been discussed and I missed it but we are planning our first short road trip. I'm using EVtripplanner. Anyone figure out what options they like best. I was trying to decide on equivalent "S" drop down option of 19" or 21" and a speed multiplier that would give me a realistic "Wh/mile" estimated value for good planning. I realize there is more drag on the X vs S. As well HVAC (heat more so than A/C) has a pretty big impact. I was looking to see if other real-world users of this tool had suggestions.

Here's a couple I was thinking of:

Image: http://i.imgur.com/IYg07WX.png
IYg07WX.png

Image: http://i.imgur.com/ujIkD3M.png
ujIkD3M.png

From EVTripPlanner Help tab:

How It Works

EVTripPlanner uses a physics-based model to predict how much energy your EV will use along your route. It accounts for:

• Speed: this is usually the biggest contributor to variation in energy usage. We use Google Map's traffic-based estimate of current speed, which you can adjust up or down with the 'Speed Factor'.
  • Air density: this varies with temperature and altitude. The same level-road trip at a higher altitude takes less energy than at sea level since the air is thinner. Similarly, the same trip (without air conditioning or heating) takes less energy when it is hotter since the air is thinner. We determine altitude over the route using the Mapquest database and use your input for temperature.
  • HVAC: the heater and air conditioner, as well as any energy required to heat or cool the battery pack, use energy...even when you're not moving. We look at your cabin temperature setting and your estimate of the outside temperature.
  • On-board Systems: the computers and other on-board systems use energy, even when the car isn't moving.
  • Weight & Elevation Changes: the weight of the car and payload (entered) are used along with elevation changes along the route to determine energy used climbing...and recovered during downhills.
  • Friction, efficiency, regeneration: each EV converts electrical energy in the battery to mechanical energy at the wheels a little differently (and vice-versa). We account for these conversions and differences.
  • Your Car Model: each car has different parameters for how they use energy in the categories above. EVTripPlanner takes the best data available to match our model to the actual measurements and published charts.

Trip Settings

Setting the parameters for your trip is critical to getting an accurate estimate of the energy that will be consumed. The most important setting is your "speed factor", which is how much faster or slower than the prevailing speed
Setting the parameters for your trip is critical to getting an accurate estimate of the energy that will be consumed. The most important setting is your "speed factor", which is how much faster or slower than the prevailing speed (as estimated by Google Maps at the time of planning the route) you are going on average. Unfortunately, you can drive in different patterns and have the same average speed while consuming different amounts of energy. While these errors don't tend to be very large for long trips, the closer to "cruise control" you are at the average speed on long segments the closer the estimate will be. Also fill in payload, outside and cabin temperatures and your correct car model - these can make a significant difference.