Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like you picked two close cars. What about the outside temp at 50 degrees F? Is that realistic for CHG at this time of the year?
It looks like a reasonable estimate for the IN and KY drive.

For the 19", I basically played with the speed factor (1.05) to bring up wh/mile value to ~365. Just looking at some of the examples in this thread I thought that was doable if you drive reasonable and the road is generally flat (and mostly highway). I wasn't sure if this technique made since or if I should just go with the larger tire vehicle. Maybe it doesn't matter. Just thought others may have been through this or played with speed factor to get it to match their personal S driving.

OK - so here are the results of my first fairly short road trip (142 miles round trip) from NJ to the Tannersville, PA SC. MX is new with 600 miles on the odometer.
Temps were in the mid to high 30's, quite windy. Heat set at 68 deg. Trip is hilly with positive elevation change going up to the Pocono Mountains and negative coming home to NJ (+/- 571'). 2 people in the car and driving at 75 mph most of the way.

NJ to PA: Actual Mileage 71, Rated miles used 98, Avg KWh 430, elevation change +571' (from EV Trip Planner)
PA to NJ: Actual Mileage 71, Rated miles used 81 (lots of traffic leaving the outlet mall), Avg KWh 355, elevation change -571'

Going NJ to Richmond, VA next weekend so we'll see how we do on a flatter, longer trip.

OK - so here are the results of my first fairly short road trip (142 miles round trip) from NJ to the Tannersville, PA SC. MX is new with 600 miles on the odometer.
Temps were in the mid to high 30's, quite windy. Heat set at 68 deg. Trip is hilly with positive elevation change going up to the Pocono Mountains and negative coming home to NJ (+/- 571'). 2 people in the car and driving at 75 mph most of the way.

NJ to PA: Actual Mileage 71, Rated miles used 98, Avg KWh 430, elevation change +571' (from EV Trip Planner)
PA to NJ: Actual Mileage 71, Rated miles used 81 (lots of traffic leaving the outlet mall), Avg KWh 355, elevation change -571'

Going NJ to Richmond, VA next weekend so we'll see how we do on a flatter, longer trip.

392 average is way better than my 425 average. Only big difference is I have the 22" wheels. But, I'm not doing 75 MPH and not in 30 degree weather. Tesla service is now replacing the HV battery cables. Thy seem to think that I'm no getting proper "connection" to the front motor and possibly power is not transferring there during cruising, resulting in higher W/mile. We shall see.

392 average is way better than my 425 average. Only big difference is I have the 22" wheels. But, I'm not doing 75 MPH and not in 30 degree weather. Tesla service is now replacing the HV battery cables. Thy seem to think that I'm no getting proper "connection" to the front motor and possibly power is not transferring there during cruising, resulting in higher W/mile. We shall see.

Interesting.

Also on a side note, obviously 19" rims fit as they are provided with the Tesla winter tire package. Makes me wonder what kind of efficiency they can deliver if fitted with non-winter tires.

I have the option to buy an EU Model X Founders by Referral. As the tires/rims seem to have a significant impact (according to the posts in this thread of 10%) on the range I'm not sure if it's a good idea to select the 22' rims.

My expectations are that the Model X P90DL will at least achieve 300-350 km range driving on German Highways at about 100-120 km/h. Is this realistic?

Can someone please provide information about the typcal range (not rated) shown after a full charge?

I have the option to buy an EU Model X Founders by Referral. As the tires/rims seem to have a significant impact (according to the posts in this thread of 10%) on the range I'm not sure if it's a good idea to select the 22' rims.

My expectations are that the Model X P90DL will at least achieve 300-350 km range driving on German Highways at about 100-120 km/h. Is this realistic?

Can someone please provide information about the typcal range (not rated) shown after a full charge?

Not sure about that.

You are asking about: ~218 miles (350) at ~75 mph (120)

Title: Driving Range for the Model S Family - JB Straubel, Chief Technical Officer December 30, 2014
Driving Range for the Model S Family | Tesla Motors

Image: http://i.imgur.com/20SS6go.png
20SS6go.png

Last edited:
Thank you for the range estimation of the different Model S and X variants. According to the table the Model X P90DL would achieve a range of 340 km driving at 120 km/h.

If this is realistic under normal weather conditions that's OK for me. A range below 300 km at moderate highway speed would be a problem.

But only 80% of that range is really available for daily use. You don't charge to 100% and there is a reserve at the bottom to protect the battery. The 211 above is the range you get from 100%-0% while using range mode for the odd occasion.

You'll need to look for a super charger

Thank you for the range estimation of the different Model S and X variants. According to the table the Model X P90DL would achieve a range of 340 km driving at 120 km/h.
If this is realistic under normal weather conditions that's OK for me. A range below 300 km at moderate highway speed would be a problem.
I made up that Model X line in the table using the 65 to 75 mph differences. I'm not sure now tho that the X will go 250 miles at 65 mph. You should read that article and related ones. The range maybe less than you think. Also not the other posters great point about 100% to 0%. Our USA superchargers are rougthly 125 miles apart so we are OK here.

I understand that the values in your table are based on a theoretical calculation. Based on that I'd expect a 20% lower range for the Model X than the corresponding Model S.

But what is your daily experience? What is the value for "typical range" when you charge the Model X to 100% (or X%)? How far could you go on a single charge and what was the remaining range? What is the energy consumption when driving at highway speed?

I understand that the values in your table are based on a theoretical calculation. Based on that I'd expect a 20% lower range for the Model X than the corresponding Model S.

But what is your daily experience? What is the value for "typical range" when you charge the Model X to 100% (or X%)? How far could you go on a single charge and what was the remaining range? What is the energy consumption when driving at highway speed?

FWIW. I have about 3500 miles on the car. A lot of it is freeway miles at average 65 mph. (Not 75 and there's a big difference). 900 miles of this was a trip, heavily loaded with 6 adults full cabin climate, through a mountain pass. I have 22" rims. Temperature around here has been around 50F. A lot of rain and it seems that rain has a significant impact. I'm probably a moderately aggressive driver. My average W/mile is 425. So, my simple math.... The rated W/mile has been determined to be approximately 340. 425-340=85. 340/85=25%. Meaning, I'm achieving about 75% of the rated range. On a 90% charge I get 227 rated miles. 227x75%=170. Leave yourself a 10% cushion since no one goes to 0 and you get 153. I'd round that to a nice even 150 mile actual range.

Recognize that this is driving around with no consideration for range. Cabin heat where I want it, seat heat or steering wheel heat when I want it, a few ludicrous show offs with friends, etc. All in all, I would consider this to be not a worse case scenario but a high end average. I expect it will be better in the summer. Maybe up my number to 80% for a year round number?

On the other extreme, I just had the car delivered to me from the tesla service center, a trip of 58 miles. I believe that the service person did everything to minimize the W/mile since I have been discussing this issue with them. I know he never exceeded 60 MPH because I tracked the trip. I know that cabin climate was off for some portion of the trip because he told me so. Is was not raining and was probably mid 50's for temp. His W/mile for the trip was 348.

With the MX in the shop several times, I've had a chance to drive several MS models. I believe the rated W/mile is about 315. I don't seem to have a problem hitting that with with my driving style and conditions. I was there or close in a P85D and better than that in a non performance 70. It seems that the MX is more susceptible to outside variables such as rain, speed, temp, etc. makes sense since it's a bigger car.

Bottom line, even if you work at it, I don't see hitting the rated 340W/mile. You can't control all elements, like the weather. Maybe if you live in 70 degree weather, it never rains, you never turn on the climate, etc it's possible but I don't think so in typical year round conditions.

One caveat, remember I have the 22" rims. People have thrown out the statement that they cost 10% in range. I have no idea if that is true and don't really know how they would know. 10% is a huge number. I'd be surprised but I have no information to support or dispute the statement.

i hope this helps. I realize there isn't much live data out there yet.

@Thorsten: You could always sell off the 22" if you find them not to live up to your expectation and range. I'm guessing you have a Signature reservation since you are battling between the 20" and the 22". I went through the same battle and ended up on choosing the 22". Since the prices are identical and you could easily make a few bucks on them if you sold them to get the 20" wheels, I would definitely go for the 22".

I like your table, thanks for sharing.

I also did a "range fact" table some weeks ago. Only the tire size on the X are approximations (the one for the model-S are factual)

Screen Shot 2016-03-07 at 7.27.16 PM.png

It helped me take the decision to get a X-90D (we see my green highlight !) ... but finally moved forward with a Signature upgrade

I like your table, thanks for sharing.

I also did a "range fact" table some weeks ago. Only the tire size on the X are approximations (the one for the model-S are factual)

Couple of questions. You said the MS numbers at factual. From where? This shows less than 3% impact having the larger wheels which is far less than I've been told. Second question or comment, this table appears to be rated range. In my experience, I can hit the rated W/mile, i.e. range, in the MS but can't come close in the MX. Based upon my history, I could not present this to a potential MX buyer and say this is the range to expect. Looking at my history right now, 3800.2 miles, 414 W/mile. That would achieve about 78% of rated rate range.

It would be nice if there were more actual numbers to compare. I realize there aren't a lot of MXs out there but it seems like there would be more discussion of personal experience. Maybe on a different thread?

<snip>
It would be nice if there were more actual numbers to compare. I realize there aren't a lot of MXs out there but it seems like there would be more discussion of personal experience. Maybe on a different thread?
Good question. I'm driving on two different trips and directions this Fri and Sat/Sun. I plan on using Auto-Pilot for as much as I can.
It will be my first trip(s) in any Tesla so I don't know what data to capture yet. Set A trip at the start, the use B trip between each supercharger? Pictures of trip driving screens. Need to research. Likely threads on it.