Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just got our regular 90D last night and had a 160 mile trip back home from Fremont. 680 was a parking lot and stop and go. Oddly the kwh/mi was around 328. Later when we got up to speed (averaging 65-70) it improved. Outside temp was around 80 degrees F and we did not have the AC on at first but later at 75 degrees F.

The first picture was an hour and half into the drive where it was mostly stop and go. Note we only went 32.6 miles in that time. Welcome to the Bay Area on a evening commute. The Wh/mi is around 327. Probably what you would expect for a 90D.

View attachment 168578

This next picture is much later into the drive where we have been averaging around 65 to 70 mph. The Wh/mi has dropped to 316. The outside temp started around 80 and lowered to 75. The car was set at 75 with the back turned off.

View attachment 168579

When we pulled into the supercharger in Folsom to top the car off and get a bit to each this is what was displayed:

View attachment 168580

With a few 90D having now been delivered- and tested- what is the probability that (1) the 90D does indeed live up to Tesla official expectations in terms of range (around 340 Wh/m, on average) - as suggested by MarchX , aesculus and others in this thread, and that, simultaneously, (2) the P90D' s range - even with the proper '90D' setting- has been significantly overestimated by Telsa , which translates into a measured 400Wh/h at best - as suggested by a number of P90D owner in various threads?

If confirmed, these reports would testify to a minimum 15% difference between the 90D and the P90D operating in the same mode, vs a mere 4% advertised by Tesla. Any more 'live' data and testimonies from actual owners of both models would be invaluable to get to the bottom of this matter...

With a few 90D having now been delivered- and tested- what is the probability that (1) the 90D does indeed live up to Tesla official expectations in terms of range (around 340 Wh/m, on average) - as suggested by MarchX , aesculus and others in this thread, and that, simultaneously, (2) the P90D' s range - even with the proper '90D' setting- has been significantly overestimated by Telsa , which translates into a measured 400Wh/h at best - as suggested by a number of P90D owner in various threads?

If confirmed, these reports would testify to a minimum 15% difference between the 90D and the P90D operating in the same mode, vs a mere 4% advertised by Tesla. Any more 'live' data and testimonies from actual owners of both models would be invaluable to get to the bottom of this matter...

I get 340-350 Wh/mile on the highway in my P90D

I get 340-350 Wh/mile on the highway in my P90D
Thanks for sharing! What is you actual wh/m on stop And go/ City conditions? I am interested in info on outside temp in which you achieved 345 on highway?... On 20' wheels?

I have 5 days more to my final choice: p90d vs 90d. If 90d' range is 10% higher or more, I would definitely go with the 90d....

Aesculus: Those 90D numbers are really good. Given for an S the typical numbers are around 295wh/mile, an increase of just 20 wh/mile for X is pretty good.

That should get you close to a range of 250 miles which is what I think Tesla had indicated.

Just a small detail I noticed. In my Model S, the navigation has changed "line-colors" from orange to light blue in the recent firmwares. But it is orange in this picture from the Model X. Maybe the built-in map isn't updated yet?

Attachments

• IMG_3861.JPG
    IMG_3861.JPG
    350 KB · Views: 165
At the risk of re-stating the obvious, speed and driving style have a huge impact on range. I'm finding that at 65 mph and driving somewhat conservatively, I can get rated range in the 330-340 area. Stepping up to 75 mph will increase it to 360-380. Dropping sown to 50-55 I get very close to 300+/- These numbers are on flat terrain. I will be taking a trip from northern NJ to Orlando next month and I will have more credible numbers to report.

Pleased to report that the trip to Big Bear from San Diego went pretty much the same as my 2013 P+ with 21 inch tires. See attached screen shot - Trip B is the going and returning. Left San diego and arrived in BB with about 53 RR (mostly uphill). Charged to 228 (90%) and arrived home with 133 RR (mostly downhill).

Very pleased and somewhat mystified by how Tesla engineers could take a car with an extra motor and 1500 pounds and less aerodynamic and make it the same efficiency with only 5 extra kWh.

As a family car it is so much more convenient than the S and much less stuffy. Anyone with kids will appreciate being able to put the car on autopilot while you assist in feeding kids or eating your own sandwich. Also the big windshield makes the view even more enjoyable. Having done the exact same drive multiple times with the S I can confidently say that this is a MUCH better road trip car with kids (for anyone on the fence between S and X).

Attachments

• IMG_1180.jpeg
    IMG_1180.jpeg
    295.1 KB · Views: 151
Pleased to report that the trip to Big Bear from San Diego went pretty much the same as my 2013 P+ with 21 inch tires. See attached screen shot - Trip B is the going and returning. Left San diego and arrived in BB with about 53 RR (mostly uphill). Charged to 228 (90%) and arrived home with 133 RR (mostly downhill).

Very pleased and somewhat mystified by how Tesla engineers could take a car with an extra motor and 1500 pounds and less aerodynamic and make it the same efficiency with only 5 extra kWh.

As a family car it is so much more convenient than the S and much less stuffy. Anyone with kids will appreciate being able to put the car on autopilot while you assist in feeding kids or eating your own sandwich. Also the big windshield makes the view even more enjoyable. Having done the exact same drive multiple times with the S I can confidently say that this is a MUCH better road trip car with kids (for anyone on the fence between S and X).

Nice, where did you charge at Big Bear? I go to snow valley often and should have no issues with making a round trip from Irvine but would like to know of a charging station

I drove from NJ to Dayton, OH and back in 2 days. Left Sunday @ 2pm and was back Tuesday@ 7:30 am. 1250 miles. Major range problems. Driving in 28 degree temps with wind. Had to go south (MD) to actually make it home even though estimate was fine at first. Over and over, I found myself driving 50mph in hopes of making it to next supercharger. Estimated range was off by 20-30%. Added a good 6 hrs on top of the normal 9 hour trip. I think the x is beyond awesome but it's local driving only for me. More stations needed to ever attempt that again. I'm sure that is right around the corner. I also found out running out of power is considered neglect not covered by roadside assistance. I did not run out but learned that from Tesla employee. I'm glad it didn't come down to that. After the drive I had I would have gladley returned car. Only owned it for 5 days.

• Informative
Reactions: ggnykk