Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Rattle Sources

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been derattling a July 2020 built Model X and I thought it might help others to share some of the sources of rattles that I've found. Generally, every area of the car has something that could cause a noise. So, behind glovebox, inside all the door cards, under all the seats, in the rear boot trim etc.

Under the seat is mostly loose cables. The rear seats had a very rattley PCB in a case. The dash and door cards mostly have labels and loose bits of tape as well as unsecured wires. I've annotated some pictures when I remebered to take photos. The good news is, once you remove all of the excess labels, loose bits of tape, wrap every loose wire in cloth tape etc, it really does make a big difference to the amount of noises coming from the car itself.

Of particular note, one of the bolts that secures a front electric window access panel was entirely missing, and one of the rear Falcon wing doors had a loose nut inside the window area of the door.

Attachments

• 2020-10-06 10.33.23.jpg
    2020-10-06 10.33.23.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 1,411
  • 2020-10-08 08.32.41.jpg
    2020-10-08 08.32.41.jpg
    481.7 KB · Views: 665
  • 2020-10-08 10.27.19.jpg
    2020-10-08 10.27.19.jpg
    427.3 KB · Views: 671
  • 2020-10-08 16.15.12.jpg
    2020-10-08 16.15.12.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 623
  • 2020-10-08 16.21.48.jpg
    2020-10-08 16.21.48.jpg
    598.7 KB · Views: 611
  • 2020-10-09 11.08.44.jpg
    2020-10-09 11.08.44.jpg
    534.4 KB · Views: 677
  • 2020-10-24 11.53.31.jpg
    2020-10-24 11.53.31.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 603
  • 2020-10-24 15.55.59.jpg
    2020-10-24 15.55.59.jpg
    469.2 KB · Views: 708
I've been derattling a July 2020 built Model X and I thought it might help others to share some of the sources of rattles that I've found. Generally, every area of the car has something that could cause a noise. So, behind glovebox, inside all the door cards, under all the seats, in the rear boot trim etc.

Under the seat is mostly loose cables. The rear seats had a very rattley PCB in a case. The dash and door cards mostly have labels and loose bits of tape as well as unsecured wires. I've annotated some pictures when I remebered to take photos. The good news is, once you remove all of the excess labels, loose bits of tape, wrap every loose wire in cloth tape etc, it really does make a big difference to the amount of noises coming from the car itself.

Of particular note, one of the bolts that secures a front electric window access panel was entirely missing, and one of the rear Falcon wing doors had a loose nut inside the window area of the door.

VERY INTERESTING. Do you have a source of information re: where all the clips and screws are located that you had to remove to get to these areas? Or do you just have lots of experience doing this kind of work? I’ve removed a fair number of panels and trim areas (with the proper tools and quite a bit of trepidation) to run some wiring for a streaming rear view mirror dashcam, but have gotten nowhere near as deep as you’ve gone. I also worry about creating more issues than I resolve when clips break and pieces don’t fit back together as well as they did originally. Any advice on where to find schematics for the clips and screws? Thanks.

VERY INTERESTING. Do you have a source of information re: where all the clips and screws are located that you had to remove to get to these areas? Or do you just have lots of experience doing this kind of work? I’ve removed a fair number of panels and trim areas (with the proper tools and quite a bit of trepidation) to run some wiring for a streaming rear view mirror dashcam, but have gotten nowhere near as deep as you’ve gone. I also worry about creating more issues than I resolve when clips break and pieces don’t fit back together as well as they did originally. Any advice on where to find schematics for the clips and screws? Thanks.

I used Tesla Model X Service Manual Repair Procedures . If you're going to take things apart, I recommend buying new clips from Tesla beforehand. The white door card clips often break and the manual says to replace them all anyway. The upper trim on the FWDs has lots of gold clips that will detatch from the panel, and can break if you try to bend them back. Theres also this website https://epc.tesla.com/ which shows the part numbers and how various components fit together.

Particularly the rear door cards and upper FWD trim require a tremendous amount of force to detach the clips, even using correct tools it's a challenge.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus

Thank you for posting! I have an annoying rattle from my latch mechanism area. Can you tell me what you secured back there?

Thank you for posting! I have an annoying rattle from my latch mechanism area. Can you tell me what you secured back there?

Where the striker hook is, the area covered by that spring loaded plate. There's a piece of plastic in there, which hits against the metal frame of the car. That required taking off the rear wall and felt taping it. The emergency release door also rattles, as well as the water drain in the bottom of the tailgate itself.

I used Tesla Model X Service Manual Repair Procedures . If you're going to take things apart, I recommend buying new clips from Tesla beforehand. The white door card clips often break and the manual says to replace them all anyway. The upper trim on the FWDs has lots of gold clips that will detatch from the panel, and can break if you try to bend them back. Theres also this website https://epc.tesla.com/ which shows the part numbers and how various components fit together.

Particularly the rear door cards and upper FWD trim require a tremendous amount of force to detach the clips, even using correct tools it's a challenge.

Thanks for the two links and for making me feel not so bad about being a wimp when it comes to tearing apart my Model X. I know how to get replacement clips, etc once I’ve torn the car apart but is there a way to know which specific clips I’ll need in advance so that I can have them on hand for when I need them?

Oh maybe I’ll make an appt to get that fixed then. Thanks for the heads up!

If you're under warranty, they'll just replace the full visor assembly since there's a known problem - had to have mine done twice last year - been fine since the second replacement (after whatever newer revision of the magnetic catch has the correct amount of padding)...

Thanks for the two links and for making me feel not so bad about being a wimp when it comes to tearing apart my Model X. I know how to get replacement clips, etc once I’ve torn the car apart but is there a way to know which specific clips I’ll need in advance so that I can have them on hand for when I need them?

If you visit that EPC tesla parts page, it has the parts diagrams, along with the part numbers. Then you can get the exact amount of clips you need, and the part numbers, and order them beforehand.

Reactions: sacfan
I have an annoying low clunky rattle on my 2020 Model X. Appears to come from right front wheel area. Happens only at low speed and when road is bumpy. Had Tesla replace front upper C arm and torque the suspension. Still hear it. Hate to keep going back to service. Car has 5K miles only. Iam sure the sound is not from inside or doors
Any suggestions?

Thanks!

This is fantastic info.... I will be looking into SHOPS in the Atlanta Area to tackle some of these "Rattles"./.. I have taken some panels off, but Not very comfortable with this much work....Anyone in the ATLANTA Area know of a shop that addresses some of this "Clean up"..... Thanks again for sharing, and taking the time to post these pictures and the information. ~RP

I just took delivery of a 19 MX from Carvana this morning. Several minor issues, but the creaking from the passenger door area (pilot seats) is a deal-breaker. I will likely return the vehicle unless I can identify the creak. The pastic shroud/covering over the lock actuator has been sheared to some extent. I guess than means the door isn't aligned and bit into the plastic. There is a carvana warranty and I think it covers the door. Should I just return the car tomorrow or investigate further? The creak is more than a rattle and is unacceptable.

I just took delivery of a 19 MX from Carvana this morning. Several minor issues, but the creaking from the passenger door area (pilot seats) is a deal-breaker. I will likely return the vehicle unless I can identify the creak. The pastic shroud/covering over the lock actuator has been sheared to some extent. I guess than means the door isn't aligned and bit into the plastic. There is a carvana warranty and I think it covers the door. Should I just return the car tomorrow or investigate further? The creak is more than a rattle and is unacceptable.
Unfortunately, this is always going to be there if you want to own a MX. I sold my 2022 MX because the rattles and squeaks were driving me INSANE. Silly me still got a 2023, and a week after delivery, back to square one with the rattles.