Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Raven Range Boost w/ Avatar Displaying Wrong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have a MX raven picked up Dec. 19. My previous max range was 328 miles. I bought after market wheels 22s and asked the dealer to change my avatar to reflect the black wheels instead of the 20 inch slips. Now my max range after updating this morning to 2020.8.1 is only 323 miles. Thats odd right? even with the original wheels w/ the correct avatar it should still be 328.
Anyone know whats going on?

On 22“ wheels, the range is less than on 20“. The reason being that 22“ tires are often „sportier“ due to a softer, grippier compound which means more rolling-resistance which leads to a reduction in range.

Also, as aaarsinic wrote, new batteries lose a bit of range during the first few months while it „breaks in“. Then it levels off and it will take years to slooooowly lose range. It‘s normal for this type of battery technology. Laptops and Phone batteries do the same thing, we just don‘t notice it as the „loss“ is so tiny in the beginning.

Also, battery temperature has a significant effect on range as well. During spring and summer, the range indicator will creep up as temperatures increase, only to drop again in fall and winter. Repeat each year.

On 22“ wheels, the range is less than on 20“. The reason being that 22“ tires are often „sportier“ due to a softer, grippier compound which means more rolling-resistance which leads to a reduction in range.

Also, as aaarsinic wrote, new batteries lose a bit of range during the first few months while it „breaks in“. Then it levels off and it will take years to slooooowly lose range. It‘s normal for this type of battery technology. Laptops and Phone batteries do the same thing, we just don‘t notice it as the „loss“ is so tiny in the beginning.

Also, battery temperature has a significant effect on range as well. During spring and summer, the range indicator will creep up as temperatures increase, only to drop again in fall and winter. Repeat each year.
I thought the 2020.4.11 gave everyone an epa range of 351?

So I have a MX raven picked up Dec. 19. My previous max range was 328 miles. I bought after market wheels 22s and asked the dealer to change my avatar to reflect the black wheels instead of the 20 inch slips. Now my max range after updating this morning to 2020.8.1 is only 323 miles. Thats odd right? even with the original wheels w/ the correct avatar it should still be 328.
Anyone know whats going on?

You may already know this but you can change your wheel settings yourself under settings - service - wheel configuration. I assume making changes here will alter the max range that the car displays. I got my wheels powder coated black so I changed them to black in the settings just my car would look more awesome in the app and on the display.

Attachments

• 2020-03-08 18.05.45.jpg
    2020-03-08 18.05.45.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 89
  • Informative
Reactions: BulldogsRus
You may already know this but you can change your wheel settings yourself under settings - service - wheel configuration. I assume making changes here will alter the max range that the car displays. I got my wheels powder coated black so I changed them to black in the settings just my car would look more awesome in the app and on the display.
To my knowledge it does NOT change rates range based off wheel selection.