Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Rear-ended but trailer hitch saves the day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving home from work last night and someone tried to do a quick lane change behind me and wasn't able to completely get out of their lane and was pushed into me.

Thankfully I always keep my trailer hitch on my X and it took 100% of the impact. My car is dirty but I don't think there was any paint transfer at all. The other vehicle didn't fare so lucky.

Obviously I'm going to need a new hitch but I'm wondering if the Vehicle-side receiver mechanism might be damaged as well (maybe bent downward?) The other driver does have insurance but has also offered to just purchase me a new hitch to keep it off her insurance. Wondering if anybody has any experience with something similar.

Alternatively does anybody have a picture of the side-profile ofthe hitch and receiver attached so I can compare how strait the angle should be on a stock vehicle?

(attachments)
1574446908802.JPEG
1574446897813.JPEG

Thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
To start... Look for play in the hitch receiver. That is the first clue to look for. I know a guy in the towing threads that over a couple years towing had to replace his receiver, as it had lots of play in it from his 22' Airstream and long travels. My theory is, that a single good hit... and it might now be loose at the receiver.
If you can unmount the hitch receiver on the X... and there is no play in it, that's a good clue. That said... still have to look further.

Overall, what you need to know is all hidden behind the plastic bumper... short of going to a Tesla certified repair shop... its anybody's guess.
If you can get a SC or repair shop Tesla certified tech... he/she will be able to diagnose further.

-TechVP

To start with, this may not be the factory stock Bosel Model X receiver/hitch which you are referring to that could develop the sloppy connection. It also could possibly be an aftermarket as well.

To the OP: From what is observed by the picture, a simple replacement of the slide in ball hitch (appears) to be all that is necessary. Outer visual inspection of the symmetry and alignment of the receiver should give you clues of the need to inspect further or not.

If you feel you need to inspect further, it is easy to remove the bumper skin if you are handy. I find it very easy.

Good luck. It appears that you have had some luck in the face of adversity already!

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
I was of the opinion that many locations required removal of the ball and tongue when not trailering in order to do less damage to other vehicles.

in certain states it is illegal to drive with the hitch, unless you are actually towing something. I read that in some states you might actually be on the hook for damages on the other car (even if they hit you). However, I feel very strongly against this last part. If someone gets so close to you to hit your hitch, they are violating your personal space and should not be that close in the first place.

in certain states it is illegal to drive with the hitch, unless you are actually towing something. I read that in some states you might actually be on the hook for damages on the other car (even if they hit you). However, I feel very strongly against this last part. If someone gets so close to you to hit your hitch, they are violating your personal space and should not be that close in the first place.

What states are illegal?

I kept a hitch ball mount on my truck in California for many years for this very instance. I was never rear ended but I can attest that the ball hitch did plenty of damage to my shins and knee caps over the yesrs while loading and unloading items in the back of the bed.