Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X : Rear entertainment options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've looked around and have not seen rear entertainment options discussed (sorry if I missed it). For many people, myself included, this is a family car - used on road trips. Most cars of this size and utility that I've seen have options for fold-down flat screens, wireless headphones, etc to entertain the kiddos. I understand the FWDs would make it difficult/impossible for fold-down, but seat back might work?

Has as anyone heard anything on the topic? Is it "strap a tablet to the seat back" or give one to the kids to hold? I see the two USB ports facing row two...so at least we have power!

Sean

I've looked around and have not seen rear entertainment options discussed (sorry if I missed it). For many people, myself included, this is a family car - used on road trips. Most cars of this size and utility that I've seen have options for fold-down flat screens, wireless headphones, etc to entertain the kiddos. I understand the FWDs would make it difficult/impossible for fold-down, but seat back might work?

Has as anyone heard anything on the topic? Is it "strap a tablet to the seat back" or give one to the kids to hold? I see the two USB ports facing row two...so at least we have power!

It's tablets only. Most people figure that Tesla doesn't want to lock in 2015 AV technology in a vehicle that feels like it's from the future. Blu-Ray and DVD already feel like previous-generation technology.

It's tablets only. Most people figure that Tesla doesn't want to lock in 2015 AV technology in a vehicle that feels like it's from the future. Blu-Ray and DVD already feel like previous-generation technology.

Fair enough. Do we think that display and headphone technology are a moving target? I can easily see where because of built-in connectivity, I could either load onboard storage with movies and TV shows from my home network for display through seat-back-mounted screens. Could even stream Netflix or whatever else comes down the pike.

There is nothing designed into the car to display things for rear passengers. They seem pretty comfortable with capacitive displays to have created an entire interior around a 17" one...

Fair enough. Do we think that display and headphone technology are a moving target? I can easily see where because of built-in connectivity, I could either load onboard storage with movies and TV shows from my home network for display through seat-back-mounted screens. Could even stream Netflix or whatever else comes down the pike.

There is nothing designed into the car to display things for rear passengers. They seem pretty comfortable with capacitive displays to have created an entire interior around a 17" one...

If you build your own streaming option, I would highly recommend taking a look at Plex Media Server (software). It is fantastic and has software for just about any client (tablets, game consoles, tvs, etc.)

Agreed. Using it on a plane right now. Plex is awesome.

Yep, totally agree guys. I use Plex extensively, which is why I'd love some kind of rear passenger entertainment displays and audio segmenting (different source for front and back, etc) in the X. It would be awesome to just have a client and storage onboard that I could toss media onto. Or even just AirPlay, ChromeCast, etc from a phone/tablet. As it stands, I've seen nothing from Tesla on it. I would much rather a nicely integrated set of displays into the seat back, rather than some aftermarket drape dangling an iPad... I mean, part of the appeal here is the technology, right?

Sean

• Informative
Reactions: Staramerica
I think most people don't want to mess with storing media on a tablet for the kids AND in the car. We had a year of hanging a portable DVD player, but now my daughter happily plays with her iPad on car trips.

Given how few people would want the entertainment system, and that Tesla is really trying to limit the number of options, I can see why Tesla has ignored the entertainment system aspect.

I was thinking a small server in the trunk running plex server hooked to a wireless access point and then use tablets throughout the car. They don't have to be mounted. Everyone can watch their own stuff (with headphones)

I think most people don't want to mess with storing media on a tablet for the kids AND in the car. We had a year of hanging a portable DVD player, but now my daughter happily plays with her iPad on car trips.

Given how few people would want the entertainment system, and that Tesla is really trying to limit the number of options, I can see why Tesla has ignored the entertainment system aspect.

What makes you say that few people would want the system? Are the kids riding in the back of the Model X somehow different than the kids riding in the back of all other cars of this type? What am I missing? (Honestly, not trying to be prickly)

You wouldn't have to store media in the car if it was on the tablet. Just sling it onto the built-in display(s) - AirPlay/ChromeCast/etc. "Why not just have them (I'll have three little ones back there) hold onto and play with an iPad?" Well, because that's just asking for fighting - and in an accident, the tablets become flying blades - hence me wanting something built in and safety tested... Am I really alone? This is an option on pretty much every other car in this type. How is Tesla being out technology'd by Honda? Wanting to minimize options, I see. Especially given the random pot purri of stuff they've shoved into the Premium package.

I was thinking a small server in the trunk running plex server hooked to a wireless access point and then use tablets throughout the car. They don't have to be mounted. Everyone can watch their own stuff (with headphones)

Love the idea! Now just pair it to some built-in audio and video options and we're talking... I guess I just don't like the idea of tablets being loose in the cabin. Or trying to drape some ugly thing over a seatback.

In the end, maybe it's just me. Wouldn't be the first time ;)

Sean

What makes you say that few people would want the system? Are the kids riding in the back of the Model X somehow different than the kids riding in the back of all other cars of this type? What am I missing? (Honestly, not trying to be prickly)

You wouldn't have to store media in the car if it was on the tablet. Just sling it onto the built-in display(s) - AirPlay/ChromeCast/etc. "Why not just have them (I'll have three little ones back there) hold onto and play with an iPad?" Well, because that's just asking for fighting - and in an accident, the tablets become flying blades - hence me wanting something built in and safety tested... Am I really alone?

You aren't, but each time the topic arises the resulting comments can make you feel that way. It'll be too late for some (many?), but I recommend emailing Tesla to express your interest as others have done. We've seen them come around on things before. It could be they just didn't think people would be interested.

Tablets loose in the cabin is something we definitely should avoid; bad for the tablets if they're dropped, bad for the occupants if there's an accident.

How about a fabric case that would hold the tablet securely but allow access to the screen, with a loop that would fasten to the seatbelt? The only problem I see is if someone releases the seatbelt and lets it fly.:eek:

Tablets loose in the cabin is something we definitely should avoid; bad for the tablets if they're dropped, bad for the occupants if there's an accident.

How about a fabric case that would hold the tablet securely but allow access to the screen, with a loop that would fasten to the seatbelt? The only problem I see is if someone releases the seatbelt and lets it fly.:eek:

Could have something that attaches to the back of the seat in front of you. We had something similar that attached to the headrest when my oldest was rear-facing.

Could have something that attaches to the back of the seat in front of you. We had something similar that attached to the headrest when my oldest was rear-facing.

Yep, and that is the "solution" that I'll probably have to go with. It is the "draping something over the headrest" approach that I was trying to avoid.

I want something designed in. Not hard (or expensive) if you are Tesla, hard (AND expensive) if you are aftermarket. Disappointing, that's all.

If I find an elegant solution, I'll bring it back to the thread. If anyone else does, please do the same! Thanks.

Sean

It's tablets and Plex for us as well.
Plex app can download media directly to the tablet in advance, that's what we did for our road trip in the summer.
We'd download from our Plex media server (in our basement at home) via WIFI at the hotel overnight.

Tablets make it easy for the kids to play mindcraft and other games in their hands.
They also use portable Nintendo units.

I'd never want outdated tech attached to our Tesla, we love the uncluttered look too much.

If it's only about the audio, Bluetooth headsets with next/prev/up/down/loud/soft controls are cheap.

Last edited:
I posted a similar concern about no rear seat entertainment a few months ago. Don't feel alone. Didn't keep me from ordering, but it will create work for me once I get the car to figure out some solution.
Will the dash screen allow some type of 3rd party app for video/hdmi input/chromecast?

No. Frankly, for $200, you can get a pretty nice tablet for Plex...

For me, that isn't the point. Keeping the clean lines while also safely addressing entertainment for the back of the bus is. If I, or the car, slam on the brakes - I don't want a $200 thin metal/plastic projectile aimed at the kids heads. Or mine.

In the grand scheme, this is pretty far down the list. I can find options, just not ones that look and function the way I'd like... I simply expected more. That's all. I imagine Tesla was entirely "over" screwing with the seats in this car and about the last thing they cared about was cramming a display into them ;)

Sean

I posted a similar concern about no rear seat entertainment a few months ago. Don't feel alone. Didn't keep me from ordering, but it will create work for me once I get the car to figure out some solution.
Will the dash screen allow some type of 3rd party app for video/hdmi input/chromecast?

I believe many states prohibit displaying movies on a screen that is visible to the driver. As an example, here's the relevant section in the California Vehicle Code - the display must be behind the driver's seat: V C Section 27602 Television

Doesn't mean we can't try and "enhance" the touchscreen anyway. Legal schmegal, am I right?:-D
There's always a way :) Even back in 2005, there was somebody in Florida who sold home-made kits that added video input to the second generation Prius' main display. As long as you didn't get caught :)

Actually, that reminds me - weren't there talks about Tesla offering an API for people and vendors to write custom modules? Did anything ever come of that?