Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X rear left axle clunk noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi! Anyone has ever experienced such clunking noise coming from rear axle? This noise appears while accelerating and regenerating at any speed. I’m sure it’s not a piece of stone being stuck in between, ‘cause driving on old stone road no noise whatsoever can be reproduced.

Video is here:

It's a failing half shaft and/or bushings/control arms. Are you absolutely certain it's from the rear? I felt like it was coming from the rear too but it ended up being the front. Sometimes it's hard to tell when the car is moving. Either way, Model X's half shafts and CV joints are pretty anemic and need to be replaced every 5,000 miles to remain perfect.

Reactions: alangrig
It's a failing half shaft and/or bushings/control arms. Are you absolutely certain it's from the rear? I felt like it was coming from the rear too but it ended up being the front. Sometimes it's hard to tell when the car is moving. Either way, Model X's half shafts and CV joints are pretty anemic and need to be replaced every 5,000 miles to remain perfect.
Thank you. I’ve double checked. The noise comes from the rear right (driver side) wheel. Front is fine. We drive only in chill mode and never do acceleration, just silky smooth driving. Bushing/control arm should be fine: a wheel alignment and full break service were performed this year in February. This noise appeared only 2 weeks ago.

Thank you. I’ve double checked. The noise comes from the rear right (driver side) wheel. Front is fine. We drive only in chill mode and never do acceleration, just silky smooth driving. Bushing/control arm should be fine: a wheel alignment and full break service were performed this year in February. This noise appeared only 2 weeks ago.

Wonder if it could be a loose tire weight or something? The other alternative - when I removed the underbody plastic panel to install my Drawtite hitch, there was a metal piece (and don't ask me what - I forget now) that would "click" like that until I tightened in the 10mm bolt.

Reactions: alangrig
It’s fixed:
Diagnosis showed that rear half shafts need to be lubricated. The rear half shafts lubrication procedure was performed:
Correction: Halfshaft - Rear Drive Unit - LH (Lubricate at Hub)
Correction: Halfshaft - Rear Drive Unit - RH (Lubricate at Hub)

Parts Replaced or Added
Part QTY. NUT HF M24x1.5 [8.8] ZnFl-W(1020297-00-A) 2.0 WASHER SAFETY M24x39(1020296-00-B) 2.0

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj and cobra
It’s fixed:
Diagnosis showed that rear half shafts need to be lubricated. The rear half shafts lubrication procedure was performed:
Correction: Halfshaft - Rear Drive Unit - LH (Lubricate at Hub)
Correction: Halfshaft - Rear Drive Unit - RH (Lubricate at Hub)

Parts Replaced or Added
Part QTY. NUT HF M24x1.5 [8.8] ZnFl-W(1020297-00-A) 2.0 WASHER SAFETY M24x39(1020296-00-B) 2.0

thanks for this
I listened to the video and have the exact same sound, coming from the rear wheel on drivers side

My22 X Plaid started making creaking sounds under hard acceleration about a month after it was new. Now, it does it at any speed and even in chill mode. I've had it in for service 4 times for this and the first time they said something was loose. The second time they said it was needing lubrication. The third time they said the sound was normal and the last time, May 2023, they said it is also normal. The sounds are getting louder and louder and happening more and more. Eventually I believe one of the CV joints (axles) will break and perhaps then they will fix it...