Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 8th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Balazs Biro, of the prominent Hungarian EV channel Villanyautósok, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

Model X rear left axle clunk noise

Hi! Anyone has ever experienced such clunking noise coming from rear axle? This noise appears while accelerating and regenerating at any speed. I’m sure it’s not a piece of stone being stuck in between, ‘cause driving on old stone road no noise whatsoever can be reproduced.

Video is here:

It's a failing half shaft and/or bushings/control arms. Are you absolutely certain it's from the rear? I felt like it was coming from the rear too but it ended up being the front. Sometimes it's hard to tell when the car is moving. Either way, Model X's half shafts and CV joints are pretty anemic and need to be replaced every 5,000 miles to remain perfect.

Reactions: alangrig
It's a failing half shaft and/or bushings/control arms. Are you absolutely certain it's from the rear? I felt like it was coming from the rear too but it ended up being the front. Sometimes it's hard to tell when the car is moving. Either way, Model X's half shafts and CV joints are pretty anemic and need to be replaced every 5,000 miles to remain perfect.
Thank you. I’ve double checked. The noise comes from the rear right (driver side) wheel. Front is fine. We drive only in chill mode and never do acceleration, just silky smooth driving. Bushing/control arm should be fine: a wheel alignment and full break service were performed this year in February. This noise appeared only 2 weeks ago.

dmurphy

Supporting Member
Thank you. I’ve double checked. The noise comes from the rear right (driver side) wheel. Front is fine. We drive only in chill mode and never do acceleration, just silky smooth driving. Bushing/control arm should be fine: a wheel alignment and full break service were performed this year in February. This noise appeared only 2 weeks ago.

Wonder if it could be a loose tire weight or something? The other alternative - when I removed the underbody plastic panel to install my Drawtite hitch, there was a metal piece (and don't ask me what - I forget now) that would "click" like that until I tightened in the 10mm bolt.

Reactions: alangrig
It’s fixed:
Diagnosis showed that rear half shafts need to be lubricated. The rear half shafts lubrication procedure was performed:
Correction: Halfshaft - Rear Drive Unit - LH (Lubricate at Hub)
Correction: Halfshaft - Rear Drive Unit - RH (Lubricate at Hub)

Parts Replaced or Added
Part QTY. NUT HF M24x1.5 [8.8] ZnFl-W(1020297-00-A) 2.0 WASHER SAFETY M24x39(1020296-00-B) 2.0

• Informative
Reactions: cobra
It’s fixed:
Diagnosis showed that rear half shafts need to be lubricated. The rear half shafts lubrication procedure was performed:
Correction: Halfshaft - Rear Drive Unit - LH (Lubricate at Hub)
Correction: Halfshaft - Rear Drive Unit - RH (Lubricate at Hub)

Parts Replaced or Added
Part QTY. NUT HF M24x1.5 [8.8] ZnFl-W(1020297-00-A) 2.0 WASHER SAFETY M24x39(1020296-00-B) 2.0

thanks for this
I listened to the video and have the exact same sound, coming from the rear wheel on drivers side

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC