Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Rear Screen Play YouTube while front plays music (separate audio streams)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't find ANY info online anywhere on how to play music on the front speakers while kids in the back watch youtube with their rear speakers. Right now Youtube works perfect for rear, it only plays through rear speakers, but when we try to play music on the front it stops any music/sound in the rear entertainment system. Can 2 audio streams play simultaneously 1 for the front and 1 for the rear?

I can't find ANY info online anywhere on how to play music on the front speakers while kids in the back watch youtube with their rear speakers. Right now Youtube works perfect for rear, it only plays through rear speakers, but when we try to play music on the front it stops any music/sound in the rear entertainment system. Can 2 audio streams play simultaneously 1 for the front and 1 for the rear?
Nope. Only one source is provided. If the back seat watches something on the screen, everybody gets the audio. Not a particularly well thought out implementation.

Nope. Only one source is provided. If the back seat watches something on the screen, everybody gets the audio. Not a particularly well thought out implementation.
Thing for me is that when back watches something then there is only audio for the rear and nothing for the front which is nice. Would also be nice if there is a separate audio for the front

Reactions: MTOman and Jwalker9
Consider yourself lucky. It used to play rear screen audio from all (front and back) speakers. Recent update improves this by only playing in the rear speakers.
Patience, grasshopper.

Just tweeted this, let’s see if Sir Elon sees it/responds:
They have changed the software to mute the front speakers when rear screen is playing so that is progress which I really appreciate since the grandkids in the back seat don't usually choose videos that appeal to me.
Would be nice to have separate music in the front but I don't think it would work well since you'd have two competing audio streams producing cacophony.
Phone calls work just fine in front when rear screen is playing in rear.

They have changed the software to mute the front speakers when rear screen is playing so that is progress which I really appreciate since the grandkids in the back seat don't usually choose videos that appeal to me.
Would be nice to have separate music in the front but I don't think it would work well since you'd have two competing audio streams producing cacophony.
Phone calls work just fine in front when rear screen is playing in rear.
A headphone option (wired through the 2 rear usb-c ports?) for the rear would solve it.

My thoughts: car speakers should only ever play from one source. However, the rear seat passengers should have the option to use wired or wireless (bluetooth) headphones...that can use the rear screen as an audio source.