TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Model X Recall?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by SteveHphotos, Oct 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. SteveHphotos

SteveHphotos New Member

#1 SteveHphotos, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2017
    Hi,

I’m new here and we have just purchased an ex demonstration Model X 100D, we are due to take delivery in a couple of weeks time but I have just seen this slightly worrying news about a recall!

I’m in the UK and can’t find any more info about the situation, can anyone shed any luck get on this news story.

Tesla to recall 11,000 Model X SUVs due to seat issue - Reuters
    Tesla to recall 11,000 Model X SUVs due to seat issue — Reuters

2. crazygordon297

I guess we wait until the letter arrives or will they email us?

3. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

yes, I just got my email.

• Informative x 1
  4. bwho9000

bwho9000 Member

Does everyone get the email?

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Not everyone, only those owners who Tesla knows own the specific version of the Model X that needs to be inspected.

6. Xtek

Xtek Member

I just got the email as well.

7. josher32

josher32 Member

I got the email today and my car happened to be in the service center for a flat tire at the Portland OR service center. Asked them if they could check my cables for the defect and even spoke to the lead tech. He said they haven't been given the parts to check for this defect yet and they would be calling all of us affected to get scheduled. Also maybe using their mobile rangers to check a lot of the affected vehicles.

8. kewina178

kewina178 Member

For those of you who got emails already, do you have 5 or 7 seaters?

I have a 6 seater and wondering if this recall is only effecting the 2nd row if it's has the 3 seats together?

9. liquidtyde

liquidtyde Member

I got the email last night. I have the new bench 7 seater.

10. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I don't believe you're impacted. It's only for those of us with a fold-flat second row.

11. kewina178

kewina178 Member

Nevermind - was able to find a copy of the email online and it's only effecting 5 and 7 seaters:

"We just ask that you temporarily avoid having two adults sit in the second row left and center seating positions at the same time. (Even with this issue, the seat is strong enough for a single adult or two children.) You may also continue to use child seats using the LATCH anchors, as these anchors are attached to the seat base and not the seat back. Note that this issue only affects Model X with fold-flat second row seats built between October 28, 2016 and August 16, 2017 and does not affect any vehicles with monopost seats."

12. vdiv

vdiv Chief Grump

On the X 100D June 2017 6-seater (not in scope of this recall) loaner I have, the cable on the passenger side seat is lose from one of the clips. The driver's seat seems mostly ok. No cables under the middle post seats. I will let service know about this when I return it to get my car back.
    2017-10-13 12.14.12.jpg 2017-10-13 12.15.21.jpg

13. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

I think it's a totally different cable they ae referencing.

14. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

That is just an electrical harness, not a cable like the recall pertains too. Has nothing to do with this.

15. vdiv

vdiv Chief Grump

Cable under the seats. Poteito, potaato. The point is get service to inspect the front seats if you are taking yours for the middle ones.

• Funny x 1
  16. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

If we're worrying about electrical instead of mechanical cables, why stop there?

Why not get them to look at the cables in the battery pack, that is under the floor that is under the seats?

If that shows nothing, get 'em to check the cables under the road or driveway where you park your X that lie under the battery pack that's under the floor, that's under the seats.

Cable TV, that's another one.

Let's expand this recall!

• Funny x 1
  17. vdiv

vdiv Chief Grump

Definitely, definitely have to look at the Cable TV! ;)
    The wires/cables/harnesses/conductors/buses/lines under the front seats power the airbag as well as the seat motors. Problems with them could result in safety concerns similar to the mechanical cable/latch system for the middle seats. Worth taking a look if they are lose like these.