Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X redesign: What's the chance of it having no FWDs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's another thought to consider:
Pretty much everyone who bought a MX would have still bought that vehicle without the FWDs. Chances are they were buying the car because of other attributes, and the FWDs were either a +/-, but it wouldn't have stopped them from purchasing the car without them.

However, there are many like me that will not buy the MX specifically because of the FWDs. Therefore, I firmly believe the decision to put FWDs on the vehicle has actually negatively impacted their ability to sell as many cars as they could have without them.

Pretty much everyone who bought a MX would have still bought that vehicle without the FWDs. Chances are they were buying the car because of other attributes, and the FWDs were either a +/-, but it wouldn't have stopped them from purchasing the car without them.

However, there are many like me that will not buy the MX specifically because of the FWDs. Therefore, I firmly believe the decision to put FWDs on the vehicle has actually negatively impacted their ability to sell as many cars as they could have without them.

There is at least one who would disagree with you. The falcon wing doors are in fact a major part of the reason that I do hope to buy an X in the future.

Yes. I had a fully loaded P100D for several days back when Tesla used to give loaners (consistently) when your car was being serviced. I parked it in the garage, hit the button to open up the doors, and they opened drooping downward (not fully upward) because the sensors thought they would hit the roof when they had plenty of room. I'm 6'3" and ducking under a droopy FWD or forcing it to open each time sucks. I think they later added a SW update to make the car "remember" when you wanted them to open fully, but since this was loaner, I didn't want to risk that SW setting being "sticky" and them opening up in an area where they really didn't have the clearance they needed.

To me they're slow to open, slow to close, gaudy, and a perfect example of over engineering. Now that it's VERY difficult to get service to fix anything well (or get an appointment or a loaner) I would never would to have anything that could be a high maintenance item on my car... and these are definitely that.
No, the option to always open fully doesn't completely override the sensors, so in a tight garage, they still won't open all the way. I'm 6'1" and I drive my vehicle, in the front seat. On the rare occasion where I need access to the middle row, I have no problem holding the button to open one all the way, which I can do in my garage (the other side really can't be accessed in the garage front or rear). When I'm loading the whole family, I usually just back it out of the garage using summon and then it's super easy access all around. Dealing with child safety seats would be a nightmare without the FWDs, and TBH, if the X didn't have FWD, I'd probably prefer a Pacifica plug in hybrid for real head and leg room on weekends but an EV experience on my daily commute.

Keep fighting the good fight friend. I would love an X without the FWD. I agree with all your points about the doors being slow, inconsistent, and way too flashy. My ideal vehicle is a large electric SUV (bigger than the Y) with normal doors. Once it's time to replace my X, it will be a tough decision - downsize to the Y, or go for a non-Tesla SUV? Maybe Rivian will have released something by then...

Reactions: cusetownusa
At this point, the X's FWD are not the vehicle's Achilles heel...the parts are now solid and fail infrequently.

The remaining issues for me that would stop a new purchase (damn 371 miles are unbelievable) are shudder and the fact that the new seat's headrests are too far forward.

Reactions: mxnym
At this point, the X's FWD are not the vehicle's Achilles heel...the parts are now solid and fail infrequently.

The remaining issues for me that would stop a new purchase (damn 371 miles are unbelievable) are shudder and the fact that the new seat's headrests are too far forward.

I guess it depends on how you define "fail". I've never had mine completely break, but off the top of my head they:

1. Consistently do not fully open, even without any obstacles present. Sometimes they barely open 50% of the way.
2. Fail to latch on a handful of occasions. Luckily I've always been able to open and re-close the door to fix the issue, but I'm waiting for this to one day leave me stranded.
3. Dump water on to the passenger seat after it's rained.

This is all on vin 131XXX, so not exactly an early build. I love everything else about this car but the doors always get me.

I recently placed an order for a LR+ and I'm also not a fan of the FWDs. I really wish it didn't have them. Some folks really like the "Hey look at me" sorta deal but not me or my family.

We still ordered one because we like the car overall. We need a 3-row EV SUV for my family of five and the Y is just too small for us.

Regardless of FWDs or not, I still love the car. Can't wait to take ownership of mine.

I wouldn’t buy my Model X without FWD.
FWD is the signature of the model.

Reactions: Art VandeIay