Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Refresh driver side doors sensing obstruction that isn't there....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am having the same door sensor issue as well on my 22 MX Plaid. It's only on the driver's side doors. Randomly the driver and FWD door won't open fully. Driver door will slightly open a crack and the FWD door will open maybe 10 or 20%. Took it in to the SC and they were able to recreate the problem but said the sensor are installed correctly but are seeing phantom objects however since my car has a wrap on it that it might be causing the issue. They actually want me to remove the wrap from the doors and bring it back in for testing. The car has been wrapped for 6 months and only recently started having this problem. On top of that the passenger side doors don't have this problem. Not sure what to do. I told them it was a waste of time and money to remove the wrap for them to test it. No response. Just closed my service ticket and said it was ready for pickup.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Tesla Service. IMO, Tesla service department is defect part of the manufacturing- they ship product with poor quality and let the SC take it from there. Imagine how frustrating it would be to work in a Tesla SC? Unfortunately, their service is so bad that problems rarely get rectified. I have 2022 MXP and had such a bad service experience that I am living with defects rather than bring it back in.

This might sound very silly and i cannot prove anything but I have found that when my 2016 Model X sits in the afternoon sun in the parking lot at the office, it gets direct sunlight on the driver side falcon door and the door gets really hot. I get in the car and the sensor on that door always sees an obstacle that is not there. It seems to keep seeing that obstacle until the door cools down.

I have no issue with the passenger side doors.

If I back into the parking spot and expose the passenger side to the afternoon sun, guess what? The passenger side sensor sees obstacles that are not there.

I believe the door sensors are very sensitive to temperature. When they get very hot, they see obstacles.

This might sound very silly and i cannot prove anything but I have found that when my 2016 Model X sits in the afternoon sun in the parking lot at the office, it gets direct sunlight on the driver side falcon door and the door gets really hot. I get in the car and the sensor on that door always sees an obstacle that is not there. It seems to keep seeing that obstacle until the door cools down.

I have no issue with the passenger side doors.

If I back into the parking spot and expose the passenger side to the afternoon sun, guess what? The passenger side sensor sees obstacles that are not there.

I believe the door sensors are very sensitive to temperature. When they get very hot, they see obstacles.
Correct, and is worse for darker color cars. How I know? My 2016 Midnight silver was having this issue and they ended up buying the car back after repeatedly failed to repair for 6+ times, with a complete new door etc. I ended up with a white X in 2018 and it was much better.

Now my 2022 X is having an intermittent issue on the passenger side door that would only open half way and stops due to obstacle. This is not sun/heat related.

I am having the same door sensor issue as well on my 22 MX Plaid. It's only on the driver's side doors. Randomly the driver and FWD door won't open fully. Driver door will slightly open a crack and the FWD door will open maybe 10 or 20%. Took it in to the SC and they were able to recreate the problem but said the sensor are installed correctly but are seeing phantom objects however since my car has a wrap on it that it might be causing the issue. They actually want me to remove the wrap from the doors and bring it back in for testing. The car has been wrapped for 6 months and only recently started having this problem. On top of that the passenger side doors don't have this problem. Not sure what to do. I told them it was a waste of time and money to remove the wrap for them to test it. No response. Just closed my service ticket and said it was ready for pickup.
Funny thing. When I had the same problem you are describing, with my 2023 model X, I went to the detail shop and had them remove the wrap on my own. Did not fix a thing. After really digging into the whole situation (see my former posts) I determined that the problem really was a factory installation error. At the factory, one of the legs of the tripod holding the door sensor was not secure. In my case, said leg was on a piece of paper in the door assembly and that caused it to move slightly from time to time. Thus, the sensor felt that there was an obstruction of some sort. My very excellent mobile tech was able to reseat and re-glue the tripod legs and I think he actually replaced the sensor as well, and I have not had any problems since. I have seen several posts similar to what you are going through, and what I went through. You would think by now, Tesla would have realized that they have a factory installation error, most likely by one of the robots I would guess. I hope this helps you. I know how frustrating it is.

Funny thing. When I had the same problem you are describing, with my 2023 model X, I went to the detail shop and had them remove the wrap on my own. Did not fix a thing. After really digging into the whole situation (see my former posts) I determined that the problem really was a factory installation error. At the factory, one of the legs of the tripod holding the door sensor was not secure. In my case, said leg was on a piece of paper in the door assembly and that caused it to move slightly from time to time. Thus, the sensor felt that there was an obstruction of some sort. My very excellent mobile tech was able to reseat and re-glue the tripod legs and I think he actually replaced the sensor as well, and I have not had any problems since. I have seen several posts similar to what you are going through, and what I went through. You would think by now, Tesla would have realized that they have a factory installation error, most likely by one of the robots I would guess. I hope this helps you. I know how frustrating it is.
Thanks. Looks like I will be trying again. I have a mobile appointment set up for a different issue so maybe I can get them to look at it again.

I have this intermittent issue on the drivers side in my 2023 MX. I finally got a video showing nothing next to the car, but the MCU showing an obstruction that was coming and going. We’re traveling the next couple of weeks but taking it in when I get back. It’s really annoying and I’m happy to rope fully have a fix in place soon. Thinking this same sensor might also be the source of an annoying rattle.

Reactions: TJPDX
I managed to record a video of my sensor flickering with no obstructions next to it.

It was at the service center last week, but after disassembling the entire door, they realized they did not have any tools for 2023 models available. So they ended up reassembling the whole thing, and I am still waiting for a new appointment to get it resolved.

I managed to record a video of my sensor flickering with no obstructions next to it.

It was at the service center last week, but after disassembling the entire door, they realized they did not have any tools for 2023 models available. So they ended up reassembling the whole thing, and I am still waiting for a new appointment to get it resolved.
I’ve seen this on my 2022 MXP and discovered that it happens only when the car is in direct, bright sunlight. Is that a factor that you’ve observed?

I’ve seen this on my 2022 MXP and discovered that it happens only when the car is in direct, bright sunlight. Is that a factor that you’ve observed?
I have tried hard to diagnose what actually causes it. In the beginning I thought I only observed it if the door had rain drops on it, but then it also started happening in the dry. I also considered direct sunlight, but here in Scandinavia we do not have too much direct, bright sunlight during winter time.

My conclusion is that it is just broken. Luckily, the service center seems to agree with me, so fingers crossed the correct tools arrive soon ;)

Reactions: unctarheels
I have tried hard to diagnose what actually causes it. In the beginning I thought I only observed it if the door had rain drops on it, but then it also started happening in the dry. I also considered direct sunlight, but here in Scandinavia we do not have too much direct, bright sunlight during winter time.

My conclusion is that it is just broken. Luckily, the service center seems to agree with me, so fingers crossed the correct tools arrive soon ;)
In summertime, at home when the car 2019 Raven is parked with the door in direct sunlight, my right door sensor is telling some obstruction. But not from Oct-March.

Reactions: unctarheels
My June 2022 driver's side Falcon does this recently. Will have to take it in for service. Will have the passenger FWD glass adjusted also as that hits the spline when full open. Least reliable new car in 20 years. Wait my 9-2020 MX had lots of problems too, but never FWD problems on that one.

My June 2022 driver's side Falcon does this recently. Will have to take it in for service. Will have the passenger FWD glass adjusted also as that hits the spline when full open. Least reliable new car in 20 years. Wait my 9-2020 MX had lots of problems too, but never FWD problems on that one.
My passenger side FWD touches the spine but they won’t fix that. They say that’s normal.

One thing I've noticed - at least on mine, is that cleaning the car makes a difference. Although there wasn't anything heavily coating the door, there was a thin layer of road salt and after cleaning it off, everything seemed to go back to normal. Any chance that the salt layer might have some kind of effect on the sonic sensors?

One thing I've noticed - at least on mine, is that cleaning the car makes a difference. Although there wasn't anything heavily coating the door, there was a thin layer of road salt and after cleaning it off, everything seemed to go back to normal. Any chance that the salt layer might have some kind of effect on the sonic sensors?
I live in Utah and based on our weather patterns my car had been dirty for a couple of months solid. I finally got it really clean the other day and will see if that clears the problem up for me or not. So far it hasn’t happened since I cleaned it, but it’s only been about 36 hours and I’ve only driven a couple of times.

Please help. About 4 months into ownership of my 2022 Refresh Model X my driver side doors, including the falcon wing, sense that there is something next to the car when there is not, and the doors won't open (drivers door just pops open nothing more) because of it. It has been to Tesla 2x, on the 2nd visit they replaced the ultrasonic sensor but no change.

I tried recalibrating the doors but no change. unfortunately I can't post a picture, but when you're in the car, put the car in park, and look at the main screen, one can see a red radar imaging next to the left sided door, like the radar is sensing something immediately next to the car, and the doors won't open. I can over-ride the falcon wing to open fully. The driver door will pop open but do nothing more.

Any ideas? Tesla suggested its a software issue and a fix is coming, but that doesn't make sense to me.

Thank you,
Justin
I have exactly the same model, and😏the same intermittent problem. Mobile service is coming today again. Also, if I open the conductor door and I sit in the car but my legs outside, to get my glass or the iphone, sometimes the door close itself even if I did not touch the brake pedal or the screen. It’s painful. One time, I received the door on my face! It’s intermittent but happily, it did it when the mobile service was here last week👍

They came back out but they wouldn't look at it again. Said it had to be done at the service center. Mobile guy said he thinks its because of the wrap but we told him it was working for 5 months with the wrap. He said to keep sending timestamps and they would eventually figure it out.

We are having the proximity warning issue on our 2023 MX. I’m scheduling a service appointment next week to have it checked out, I’m guessing its this tripod issue. Heres a video of the issue:

Its quite annoying, at my kids school when doing drop-off, I always need to push and hold for the FWD to open, and its of course painfully slow and embarrassing. We owned a 2018 MX and hardly had any false proximity sensor issues