Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model X Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the shudder worse the harder you accelerate? If so, that’s the old Shudder problem. Keep it on low and chill and be prepared replace your tires often. That’s why I got rid of my Raven X and won’t be getting another. Or you can get adjustable camber links to fix the tire problem running it on low.

If the shudder stops when you accelerate harder, then that’s the new shudder problem some Refresh Model S owners have. Happens between 40-50mph with light throttle (like when going up a slight incline).

Or just get used to setting the suspension to very low whenever you're in a slow speed traffic situation in which you might accelerate hard and then put it back up to medium when you're at speed.

@Model S M.D. , you should track down the S Plaid shudder experiment thread and try the instructions to set the drive bias to the rear wheels and then accelerate hard to see if it goes away. If you indeed have THAT shudder, the one that happens worse on harder acceleration from 15 to 40 mph or so, then you'll officially be the first to report it and even stranger on a non performance model.

Reactions: Model S M.D.
Or just get used to setting the suspension to very low whenever you're in a slow speed traffic situation in which you might accelerate hard and then put it back up to medium when you're at speed.
That would be ridiculous. Besides even in chill, ramping up smoothly on the on ramp my X would shudder on Standard height. You don’t have to accelerate hard to get shudder. It’s just that it’s worse shudder the harder you do accelerate.

If I kept it on normal height even in chill it would shudder. Not terrible, but I didn’t want it to get worse. In low and chill, it was practically non existent. No matter how much I accelerated (in chill). I was fine with that. Until I noticed tires wearing on the inside. And normal height and sport it would be pretty bad even without hard accel, just merging into traffic.

It’s a fundamental design flaw. Both the camber issue and the shudder.

That would be ridiculous. Besides even in chill, ramping up smoothly on the on ramp my X would shudder on Standard height. You don’t have to accelerate hard to get shudder. It’s just that it’s worse shudder the harder you do accelerate.

If I kept it on normal height even in chill it would shudder. Not terrible, but I didn’t want it to get worse. In low and chill, it was practically non existent. No matter how much I accelerated (in chill). I was fine with that. Until I noticed tires wearing on the inside. And normal height and sport it would be pretty bad even without hard accel, just merging into traffic.

It’s a fundamental design flaw. Both the camber issue and the shudder.

On my P85D, which had the half shafts replaced 4 times with the last set lasting 65K miles before I recently sold it, I kept it on lowest while driving around town and raised it to "normal" when on the freeway. It worked well for me for years and I intended to keep doing the same thing when I get my MXP.

I'm assuming you're talking about a non refresh X? From what I've read, it seems nearly every X had that problem due to the even larger angle of the cv joints. We're now only getting the first report of it happening on any refresh X. I'd be skeptical if it wasn't for the fact that the problem is worse than ever on the Plaid S currently.

If my MXP shows even the slightest hint of it, I'll be printing up new lowering links to lower it even further. I'm just hoping that with the wider range of adjustment on the X vs the S, that keeping it in very low for around town driving will be ok.

If it needs to be lowered further, there still isn't a camber/toe solution for the rear on the refresh but I'm sure that will change in the next 6 months.

On my P85D, which had the half shafts replaced 4 times with the last set lasting 65K miles before I recently sold it, I kept it on lowest while driving around town and raised it to "normal" when on the freeway. It worked well for me for years and I intended to keep doing the same thing when I get my MXP.
Way to much work for me.

I think X is worse with larger height range.

So far, knock on wood Model S Refresh is good. In all modes. Have not decided to keep it on low or standard. No problem keeping it on Chill. Low is more efficient and less likely to develop vibration. But I don’t know if it will wear out inside of tires. Standard rides better, and might be better for tires. Not sure if I’m being over cautious. But some folks with refresh S complain about a mild “shudder” 40-50 mph (only light load).

One set of shafts will be one to many. If Model S needs shafts or adjustable camber links I may be done with Tesla. I really liked both S and X, new and old. But these vibration issues on $100K to $150K cars is ridiculous to have to work around.

Way to much work for me.

I think X is worse with larger height range.

So far, knock on wood Model S Refresh is good. In all modes. Have not decided to keep it on low or standard. No problem keeping it on Chill. Low is more efficient and less likely to develop vibration. But I don’t know if it will wear out inside of tires. Standard rides better, and might be better for tires. Not sure if I’m being over cautious. But some folks with refresh S complain about a mild “shudder” 40-50 mph (only light load).

One set of shafts will be one to many. If Model S needs shafts or adjustable camber links I may be done with Tesla. I really liked both S and X, new and old. But these vibration issues on $100K to $150K cars is ridiculous to have to work around.

Not as much work as what I went through to lower the car and fix the camber but once I did that, problem solved. That said I still used lowest setting around town because I didn't want to chance it.

One thing that is great about the refresh suspension design is that the upper arms are bolted laterally into the cradle rather the bushings being bolted between fixed tabs come out of the cradle. It will allow simple inexpensive shim solutions to reduce excess negative camber.

Reactions: mswlogo
Does this page look the same on the refresh X as it does the S? Is the default ride height to low setting on in the lower right? I know the X has a few more levels.
Tesla-Suspension-Advanced-Settings-Interface_2020-32-1-749x1024.jpg
The x has 5 levels, but it doesn’t have that “default to” switch that you have in the bottom right

My suspicion is that they nuked it to lower the chance of cv joint ball channel warpage due to the increased angle.
That’s exactly what they did in Raven. And it definitely helped shudder. If the camber is set correct for low, then it will be ok for X (X still rides good on Low). S is a little harsher on Low. I should look at Manual in S (refresh).

After I updated to 2022.8.3 Monday night I started getting the Rear Restraint System Fault for the rear left and right. I scheduled a service appointment, although I am sure it will be resolved through another update. Yesterday the red airbag light illuminated on my dash. It's on again today. I added that to the service appointment. Again, I'm sure it's a software issue, but it's a little unnerving to drive around with these warnings.

I just got a notification to download 2022.8.3. Should I wait this one out? Is everyone who updates to this version getting that rear restraint alert?? I wonder if this is why many MXs are being held for and “update”.

I just got a notification to download 2022.8.3. Should I wait this one out? Is everyone who updates to this version getting that rear restraint alert?? I wonder if this is why many MXs are being held for and “update”.
It was my first update, so I’m definitely not an expert. If you aren’t currently having any issues, I would wait a week or so to see what happens to us Guinea pigs. There is nothing exciting in this update.

Reactions: Model S M.D.

@Model S M.D. , you should track down the S Plaid shudder experiment thread and try the instructions to set the drive bias to the rear wheels and then accelerate hard to see if it goes away. If you indeed have THAT shudder, the one that happens worse on harder acceleration from 15 to 40 mph or so, then you'll officially be the first to report it and even stranger on a non performance model.

I hope I was just feeling/seeing things. I have less than 100 miles on the car, currently at the detail shop getting wrapped/coated/tint. I only accelerated onto the highway and from a stoplight a couple of times and noticed a vibration very similar to the acceleration shudder on my MS P100D. It was only when I literally floored it—my suspension is set to auto. Is it straight forward to have it on “always low” like the old air suspension settings? This is my first Tesla with the new dynamic air suspension.

After I updated to 2022.8.3 Monday night I started getting the Rear Restraint System Fault for the rear left and right. I scheduled a service appointment, although I am sure it will be resolved through another update. Yesterday the red airbag light illuminated on my dash. It's on again today. I added that to the service appointment. Again, I'm sure it's a software issue, but it's a little unnerving to drive around with these warnings.
Same problem here. Rear right restraint system fault with an red airbag light on dash. I thought by 2022.8.3 it would be fixed. Now I’m worried that some parts weren’t available and they shipped the cars anyway.

Reactions: Zygote1975
I thought FWD rubbing paint off the door frame had been solved a long time ago. My brand new X is doing just that. Have to wait 2 weeks for SC appointment for parts for other issues. What's the prognosis? Am I destined to lemon this thing? Alignment at the roof and bottom look good. The alignment at the bottom of the window is off. Unless they give me a new door I don't see how they can fix this.

I thought FWD rubbing paint off the door frame had been solved a long time ago. My brand new X is doing just that. Have to wait 2 weeks for SC appointment for parts for other issues. What's the prognosis? Am I destined to lemon this thing? Alignment at the roof and bottom look good. The alignment at the bottom of the window is off. Unless they give me a new door I don't see how they can fix this.
The Refresh X has a new motor in back, new dash and new tail lights. And that’s about it. Shudder and FWD are exactly the same. My 2019 FWD were pretty damn good. Except when they felt like not opening all the way under clear blue sky. And phantom obstacles when closing on a hill. And the chrome didn’t line up perfect with drivers door (which might be what you are referencing). Lucked out no rubbing. All normal. I knew to not mess with it. I thought shudder wasn’t fixed when I bought it. Still not fixed on 2022.

Don’t get a new door if it’s generally working. It will only be worse.

Still a great car though. Don’t regret owning it one bit. I miss it some ways. But I don’t mind moving past some of those glitches either.

I posted this in another thread. Posting here as well.

I seriously hope the delivery delay (April 15th) is purely related to a software fix.

I could easily claim the current software is not safe.

Here is my experience yesterday.
Currently on 2022,8.3. Have been having the rear restraint error on and off ever since 2022.8.2.

Yesterday we took a trip from Atlanta to Tallahassee. Drove for about 1.5 hours. Car was operating normally. Stopped for lunch. Got back in car after lunch and noticed the rear restraint error. Not a big deal. Changed wheel config and cleared the error. A few minutes later it came back, along with a ton of other issues...

Rear restraint error
Tire flat warning popping up from time to time.
Brake error warning popping up from time to time.
Airbag warning.
Side camera video on turn signal were garbage/frozen/garbled.
Backup camera came up, but it was really just a snapshot that updated every 5 seconds.
No internet
Nav was useless. Again it updated every 20 seconds maybe.
External temp display went from a real temp to "--" on an off.
Voice commands didn't work so I couldn't log a bug report.
Cruise control would freak out when activated.
I didn't even think about trying AP.
Car charged thankfully at supercharger, but had random horn beeps.
Speed limit indicator on dash was coming and going.
AP icon was flashing yellow.

The computer was basically freaking out.

I tried a soft scroll reboot, hard scroll + brake reboot, power off, nothing worked. Finished the drive to Tallahassee with the car beeping constantly and in this state.

Let the car sit for dinner at hotel and went back out after about an hour and did a power down and restart. Internet was back, so I could now connect from my phone. Let the car sit overnight to sleep and this morning everything is normal.

I don't know if this is a software issue, a faulty processor, an overheating processor, or something else. I fear it's more than a software thing.

We will be traveling again tomorrow for a few hours and I'll see if the same thing happens after driving for a few hours.

I do have to say, I did not feel safe driving in the car.

The Refresh X has a new motor in back, new dash and new tail lights. And that’s about it. Shudder and FWD are exactly the same. My 2019 FWD were pretty damn good. Except when they felt like not opening all the way under clear blue sky. And phantom obstacles when closing on a hill. And the chrome didn’t line up perfect with drivers door (which might be what you are referencing). Lucked out no rubbing. All normal. I knew to not mess with it. I thought shudder wasn’t fixed when I bought it. Still not fixed on 2022.

Don’t get a new door if it’s generally working. It will only be worse.

Still a great car though. Don’t regret owning it one bit. I miss it some ways. But I don’t mind moving past some of those glitches either.
I went and took some pictures... It looks like the alignment with the driver-side door looks good. The alignments towards the back show the FWD is about 2 to 3mm too low. Perhaps if the SC can move that up a bit the rubbing will stop. It's a complex piece of 3D puzzle; I don't envy their job. The area affected is covered with a piece of blue painters tape temporarily.

Attachments

• IMG_0852.jpg
    IMG_0852.jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0851.jpg
    IMG_0851.jpg
    555.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0850.jpg
    IMG_0850.jpg
    550.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0849.jpg
    IMG_0849.jpg