Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model X Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was in the same boat, my car had 2021.43.202 (factory loaded) I was not experiencing any of the issues other folks were having (restraint error message, freaking out at supercharger, etc...) the only issue I did have was the charge port not opening with the charger button (no big deal)

Anyway I was then faced with the same dilema when 2022.8.3 popped up for me. After much deliberation with myself lol... I decided to pull the trigger and update... and happy to report that so far so good, none of those issues have popped up, and my charge port door issue was fixed.... I took a 200 mile trip and supercharged at a 250kw charger for about 20 minutes.. no issues

YMMV but it appears to me that if your car doesn't have the issues in the first place, the software update will not introduce them. Again that is based on my personal experience.

(picking random response to reply to)

Thanks to all for the info! I pulled the trigger on the update to 2022.8.3. As far as I can tell from just a few minutes' experimentation, nothing broke, although I didn't even get a chance to move the car out of the garage after the update. I'll test tomorrow during school drop-off.

Interestingly, climate keeper started working (so I now see "keep climate on", "dog mode" and "camp mode" on the MCU screen), and the climate control system is behaving sanely for the first time in this car's lifetime. Was not expecting that, although I'm going to keep that issue on my service request for Friday for investigation.

Bruce.

(picking random response to reply to)

Thanks to all for the info! I pulled the trigger on the update to 2022.8.3. As far as I can tell from just a few minutes' experimentation, nothing broke, although I didn't even get a chance to move the car out of the garage after the update. I'll test tomorrow during school drop-off.

Interestingly, climate keeper started working (so I now see "keep climate on", "dog mode" and "camp mode" on the MCU screen), and the climate control system is behaving sanely for the first time in this car's lifetime. Was not expecting that, although I'm going to keep that issue on my service request for Friday for investigation.

Bruce.
Though you've already upgraded, I do want to add one thing for sanity and others looking at this thread.

Several people have said that the upgrade does not seem to introduce issues if the car did not have them previously. I believe this is mostly correct for many of the odd behaviors mentioned in this thread, but 2022.8.2 DID introduce the restraint error.

That said, I have not experienced it once after installing 2022.8.3 (though others have said that they did), and again not since upgrading to 2022.12.1.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah
Though you've already upgraded, I do want to add one thing for sanity and others looking at this thread.

Several people have said that the upgrade does not seem to introduce issues if the car did not have them previously. I believe this is mostly correct for many of the odd behaviors mentioned in this thread, but 2022.8.2 DID introduce the restraint error.

That said, I have not experienced it once after installing 2022.8.3 (though others have said that they did), and again not since upgrading to 2022.12.1.
I had no issues prior to 2022.8.2. After, I had the restraint issue once, cleared it with a reboot, and it did not happen again. Installed 2022.8.3, and took a road trip this weekend, with two 5 hour drives. Everything functioned normally for the first 2 to 3 hours, then started getting the multiple warning lights and frozen back up and blind spot cameras that people have described in detail previously. Also, the app would not connect to the car. However, my phone as a key function would still work. After stopping at our destination and rebooting, everything was normal the next morning.

We did not take any extended road trips prior to downloading 2022.8.2. Did anyone else take any road trips earlier in the year or late last year? I don’t remember this issue manifesting itself until 8.2. It seems like if it was a hardware issue, that people would have been reporting it last fall or this winter. Does the software update cause processors to over clock, or is it throttling the cooling system for the processors?

Reactions: Fxnbonz
I had no issues prior to 2022.8.2. After, I had the restraint issue once, cleared it with a reboot, and it did not happen again. Installed 2022.8.3, and took a road trip this weekend, with two 5 hour drives. Everything functioned normally for the first 2 to 3 hours, then started getting the multiple warning lights and frozen back up and blind spot cameras that people have described in detail previously. Also, the app would not connect to the car. However, my phone as a key function would still work. After stopping at our destination and rebooting, everything was normal the next morning.

We did not take any extended road trips prior to downloading 2022.8.2. Did anyone else take any road trips earlier in the year or late last year? I don’t remember this issue manifesting itself until 8.2. It seems like if it was a hardware issue, that people would have been reporting it last fall or this winter. Does the software update cause processors to over clock, or is it throttling the cooling system for the processors?
I had same issue on long trips with 2022.8.2, 2022.8.3 and 2022.12.1. It always happens once your bring up backup camera, for me anyway. It was like clockwork. I logged many Bug Reports with Tesla and am chatting with them this week. It appears to be processor heat related.

Reactions: AudreyHTX1
Does Tesla still provide the '4-pin pigtail connector' for brake controller as part of the towing hitch kit on refreshed model x? Or do we now have to purchase this separately? I didn't find it in my tow hitch kit bag. Model X LR build date 03/22.

photo credit: edmunds.com

2016_tesla_model-x_det_lt_509167_717.jpg

I had same issue on long trips with 2022.8.2, 2022.8.3 and 2022.12.1. It always happens once your bring up backup camera, for me anyway. It was like clockwork. I logged many Bug Reports with Tesla and am chatting with them this week. It appears to be processor heat related.

Sorry to hear! A few followup questions:
1. How long of a roadtrip? I've done a ~2 hour roadtrip, so wondering if I need to do a longer one to trigger.
2. Are you supercharging as well?

Thanks!

Does Tesla still provide the '4-pin pigtail connector' for brake controller as part of the towing hitch kit on refreshed model x? Or do we now have to purchase this separately? I didn't find it in my tow hitch kit bag. Model X LR build date 03/22.

photo credit: edmunds.com

View attachment 792811
No, the pigtail is no longer included. Go to the service center and ask for the trailer brake ECU adapter (part 1072586-00-A). When I purchased one last week, it cost $4.40 + tax. I suspect it's an off-the-shelf connector, but at that price, it's not worth the hassle of trying to track down the generic part.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jboy210 and AttoPro
1. How long of a roadtrip? I've done a ~2 hour roadtrip, so wondering if I need to do a longer one to trigger.

Thanks!

I'm a little nervous, I haven't had any of these issues, but I have my longest road trip coming up on Thursday.... 4.5 hours one way... then 4.5 hours back the next day. I am going to have a car full of people so I am really hoping for the best.

Thanks!

We drove from ATL to FL and back. Multiple superchargers along the way. However, the first time it happened was after 1.5 hours of driving without supercharging. For me, car is fine until I put in reverse and bring up the backup camera. The backup camera seems to be the trigger 100% of the time (again for me anyway).

Mine appears to be a hardware issue. Tesla reviewed my logs during trip and has ordered parts for my SC visit on 5/2.

I'm a little nervous, I haven't had any of these issues, but I have my longest road trip coming up on Thursday.... 4.5 hours one way... then 4.5 hours back the next day. I am going to have a car full of people so I am really hoping for the best.
Good luck!!

Let us know how it goes! 😁 I am in the same boat - I have a 6+ hour roadtrip coming up in early May, so I am trying to see if I can do a "pre-trip" this weekend to see if I trigger any of the issues before going on my longer trip in May.

Reactions: JER85
I just noticed this evening that my second row captains chairs are not really moving forward all the way.... They move all the way back, and they get out of the way just fine with the top buttons to allow someone in to the back seat.... but when you press the button on the side of the seat to adjust it, they don't seem to be moving up much... I really feel like there's a lot more travel forward they should be doing. I've never had an X before so I can't really compare it to anything which makes it frustrating.

Last edited:
I just noticed this evening that my second row captains chairs are not really moving forward all the way.... They move all the way back, and they get out of the way just fine with the top buttons to allow someone in to the back seat.... but when you press the button on the side of the seat to adjust it, they don't seem to be moving up much... I really feel like there's a lot more travel forward they should be doing. I've never had an X before so I can't really compare it to anything which makes it frustrating.
mine don't move up much either but i figured it's b/c adults who sit in it would have their knees jammed against the back of the 1st row seats no?

Mine is weak too. I was wondering if that is by design. Barely felt anything at mid/comfort setting. I had to set on either HI or LO to feel something.

Same here....or at least my wife claimed. I have yet to try it myself. Adding to list for next time I got out there.

perhaps little kiddos who sit in the 3rd row don't need much a/c - more power to the adults :eek:

Requesting a sanity check:

Palladium LR X running 2021.43.202 (factory software load). Everything's basically working software-wise, including Supercharging, backup camera, etc. The car has a software update to 2022.8.3 staged, but I haven't installed it yet due to bug reports that have been associated with 2022.8.2 and 2022.8.3. The car has a service appointment scheduled for this Friday to look at a climate system failure (discussed in various threads, including probably this one), possible FWD alignment, rattle in drivers side door, a few fit and finish issues.

Should I just punch the button and install 2022.8.3, knowing that the service center will probably do this anyways a part of the service procedure? So if the update causes the issues noted upthread to appear, I can note that in the service request before Friday. Or should I just enjoy the rest of the week with (EDIT: almost) all systems operational and let the service center roll the dice for me when I take the car in?

Thanks for any opinions.

Bruce.
Just upload I’d say. Mobile guy or sc will do it probably as you said. I started with the sand went to the two new ones and still no issues with my Field Model 2021+ MXLR.
Just got the new features like the -/+ charge indicator and the noise cancellation.

Reactions: bmah
perhaps little kiddos who sit in the 3rd row don't need much a/c - more power to the adults :eek:
Yeah. When I was a kid sitting in the 3rd row of the station wagon, there wasn't any AC back there. We BAKED under that big back window! My kids experienced some of the same with our Model S - it had the rear facing 3rd row seats. No ventilation back there. But we lived in the Bay Area at the time so temps were mild and I had the window tinted to cut down on the heat.

Just chiming in for all those experiencimg the supercharging/computer overheating issue on the MXP. It seems 2022.12.1 has made significant headway. I only have a sample size of 1 but I received no errors, no reboots, my outside temp display never faltered, had a normal charging curve from 45% to 90% after a 1hr drive. I know it’s a small sample size but at least two of these issues have occurred 100% of the time previously for me. I know everyone’s issues may be different but wanted to post for anyone with similar issues. I will try a deeper charge this weekend and reply to this post.