Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model X Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this sort of distortion around the edges of the display normal?

View attachment 811974

On the sides, it makes it almost impossible to see the cruise control speed during the day.

View attachment 811975

I already submitted a service request, just seeing if it's normal or not from other owners.

Yeah, it is unfortunately. Its a vignette around the edges of the instrument cluster display to dull the edges of the display in low lighting conditions. Its odd that they would put valuable instrument cluster elements behind the vignette - maybe thats something that address with OTA software update

If you change your wheel config in the settings, the car does a reboot and the screens all go gray, and you can see this vignette super clear - its part of the instrument cluster glass, not the display itself.

Unfortunately time to post over here. Interior and exterior were nearly flawless (yay!) but finding more and more things in the first few hours of ownership.

Issues:
1) backup camera only displays 30% of the time (black square when it doesn’t display). When it does display it shows one frame every 5-8 seconds or so rendering it completely useless as a backup camera.
2) turn signal cameras do not work at all - they just show black squares
3) internet connectivity does not work at all - no premium connectivity feature, no navigation no streaming music etc.
4) autopilot freaks out often with red hands on wheel warnings on well defined easy highway lanes with great lane lines. When it does this a red brake light flashes on the upper left of the dash screen so not sure what that means.

Have already tried soft reset and soft reboot (double scroll wheel, and controls: safety: power off for 3 minutes) which didn’t fix anything.

Need to do the first software update from phone hotspot tomorrow to see if that fixes anything otherwise am going to try to get Charlotte dealership to look at it first thing.

I hope this is the right place for this question. 10 Years ago I spent hours and hours on this forum. I ordered a signature MX in February 2011, received it in December 2015 almost 4 years later. (Sorry, my picture doesn’t work, I have the “MODEL X” plate for the state of Washington.). Attended a couple of launch parties in Freemont while waiting, I was the ultimate Tesla supporter. Now, 7 years later with 140K miles on the car, I have to make a decision about a new MX plaid. I ordered it awhile back and it is now ready for delivery.

I’ve tried every possible route I can think of to get a view and/or test drive of the new version. Not possible. I live in the Seattle area but happened to be on a road trip down the coast so I stopped today at the factory at Freemont. Nothing to even look at. No test drives. I asked if I would be able to test drive my car before final delivery, answer no. You can look at the outside but if you unlock the car, you have accepted delivery. (Seems crazy to me, here is a 150k diamond but you can’t look at it until you have paid for it?). Given all of the comments I am seeing about the new version, I’m more concerned than ever. It’s a 150K purchase and you can’t look at what you are buying? I get that I did that with the first one, it wasn’t even being made at that time but this is different. Had issues being a pioneer, some of which were never resolved, but I accepted that. The pioneers get the arrows.

My most important question that I’m hoping someone can answer is the interior road noise. It’s the single biggest negative I have about my car. I’ve spent extra money trying to soundproof doors, floors, etc but it hasn’t made much different. In my previous BMW X5, I could make phone calls on the car system and no one even knew I was driving. I have a small GMC Canyon pickup, (Diesel BTW), and it is quieter than my current MX. Seems ridiculous to me that a luxury car at that price sounds like you are driving a van.

Is there a previous MX owner that has purchased a new one that could give me their opinion on the difference in road noise? I understand from the specs that the new model has “noise cancelling” features. I assume that to be like Bose noise cancelling headsets but have no idea how effective that is in a vehicle. It seems like better insulation would be a simpler solution. My ultimate solution would be that someone in the Seattle area with a new one would let me take a ride with them.

Based upon my delivery window, I have a couple of weeks to make a final decision. Any information or help would be appreciated.

BTW, have you tried a hard reboot? (Scroll wheels + brake)
Dude - you saved my bacon. This fixed ALL my problems with the vehicle. I had done double scroll wheel reboots several times with no change but doing this resolved backup camera lag/glitching, blind spot cameras not working, Internet not working, random brake failure notices etc.

Dude - you saved my bacon. This fixed ALL my problems with the vehicle. I had done double scroll wheel reboots several times with no change but doing this resolved backup camera lag/glitching, blind spot cameras not working, Internet not working, random brake failure notices etc.
I have read this 6 times and cannot figure out the difference between what Iron already did and what Bama recommended. They both seem to be the tried and true Tesla recommendation when anything glitches.

I have read this 6 times and cannot figure out the difference between what Iron already did and what Bama recommended. They both seem to be the tried and true Tesla recommendation when anything glitches.
Double scroll wheel versus “double scroll wheel AND pushing brake the same time”. They apparently are two different things as the former did not fix anything and the latter fixed everything.

Double scroll wheel only perhaps just reboots all the screens but not the actual MCU?

Glad it worked. I had all the same issues you had, especially when supercharging. Always had to do a Double Scroll + Brake reset.

Apparently these issues are due to computer overheating. This is supposedly fixed with a recent software update.

• Informative
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
Glad it worked. I had all the same issues you had, especially when supercharging. Always had to do a Double Scroll + Brake reset.

Apparently these issues are due to computer overheating. This is supposedly fixed with a recent software update.
Ahhh..so maybe I just need the newer update. Hope the service center can force that today when I go over. All the problems came back on the next drive within 5 minutes.

I hope this is the right place for this question. 10 Years ago I spent hours and hours on this forum. I ordered a signature MX in February 2011, received it in December 2015 almost 4 years later. (Sorry, my picture doesn’t work, I have the “MODEL X” plate for the state of Washington.). Attended a couple of launch parties in Freemont while waiting, I was the ultimate Tesla supporter. Now, 7 years later with 140K miles on the car, I have to make a decision about a new MX plaid. I ordered it awhile back and it is now ready for delivery.

I’ve tried every possible route I can think of to get a view and/or test drive of the new version. Not possible. I live in the Seattle area but happened to be on a road trip down the coast so I stopped today at the factory at Freemont. Nothing to even look at. No test drives. I asked if I would be able to test drive my car before final delivery, answer no. You can look at the outside but if you unlock the car, you have accepted delivery. (Seems crazy to me, here is a 150k diamond but you can’t look at it until you have paid for it?). Given all of the comments I am seeing about the new version, I’m more concerned than ever. It’s a 150K purchase and you can’t look at what you are buying? I get that I did that with the first one, it wasn’t even being made at that time but this is different. Had issues being a pioneer, some of which were never resolved, but I accepted that. The pioneers get the arrows.

My most important question that I’m hoping someone can answer is the interior road noise. It’s the single biggest negative I have about my car. I’ve spent extra money trying to soundproof doors, floors, etc but it hasn’t made much different. In my previous BMW X5, I could make phone calls on the car system and no one even knew I was driving. I have a small GMC Canyon pickup, (Diesel BTW), and it is quieter than my current MX. Seems ridiculous to me that a luxury car at that price sounds like you are driving a van.

Is there a previous MX owner that has purchased a new one that could give me their opinion on the difference in road noise? I understand from the specs that the new model has “noise cancelling” features. I assume that to be like Bose noise cancelling headsets but have no idea how effective that is in a vehicle. It seems like better insulation would be a simpler solution. My ultimate solution would be that someone in the Seattle area with a new one would let me take a ride with them.

Based upon my delivery window, I have a couple of weeks to make a final decision. Any information or help would be appreciated.

Go for it! I had a 2017 Model X (5 seater) that was terrific. My only complaint was the poor rear a/c and the front end shudder needed to be fixed twice. I had no complaints about interior noise. I now have a 2022 Model X (5 seater) which is the quietest vehicle I have ever been in. The glass is double paned and there is very little, if any, road noise. I have not played with the noise cancelling feature to see how effective it is. However, the a/c on high is fairly loud. The ventilated seats are fantastic and might help with keeping the a/c fan on low. My only issue with my new X was a creaking noise coming from the dash. This has been fixed. You will love it. My old Model 3 (with only single pane glass) had terrible road noise. My newer Model Y is pretty quiet, but not as good as the new X. Good luck.

Reactions: goldenage and jc368
Ahhh..so maybe I just need the newer update. Hope the service center can force that today when I go over. All the problems came back on the next drive within 5 minutes.
Hi thanks for posting, can I confirm that your “no internet/connectivity” issue has completely been resolved with the double scroll + brake reset?

Thanks

Yes. I was able to reproduce any time car was hot and I put in reverse. Bringing up backup camera screwed it up. Required reboot.

SC ultimately replaced my computer to solve.
Ouch. Was hoping the software update was enough to fix it. Can mobile service replace the computer or it requires going to a service center? I live 2+ hours from Charlotte so it’s really inconvenient to have to drive out there for this. Feels like on a brand new car if that’s required Tesla should have to pay to flatbed tow it both ways for me to fix it.

• Love
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
Ouch. Was hoping the software update was enough to fix it. Can mobile service replace the computer or it requires going to a service center? I live 2+ hours from Charlotte so it’s really inconvenient to have to drive out there for this. Feels like on a brand new car if that’s required Tesla should have to pay to flatbed tow it both ways for me to fix it.

My replacement computer was done before the software update to fix overheating was released, so it may solve it for you. Not sure if mobile can change computer.

Reactions: BonB and ironwill96
Thanks for your kind sharing. Hope the issue gets resolved soon.
Will try to update this thread once I figure it out. They didn’t have any service techs working on sundays at the Charlotte location so I drove it home and mobile service is coming to work on it this Thursday at my house. No updates have been offered to me since failed installation of 101.1 on Sunday morning. Mobile service can force install the latest firmware so that will hopefully fix it all.

Crazy to have so many issues with a brand new vehicle. There was a wreck on I-85 and a traffic jam due to it on the way home and it sucked with no autopilot due to the computer gremlins. It freaks out every 10-30 seconds due to the computer overheating issues so it’s totally unusable.

Will try to update this thread once I figure it out. They didn’t have any service techs working on sundays at the Charlotte location so I drove it home and mobile service is coming to work on it this Thursday at my house. No updates have been offered to me since failed installation of 101.1 on Sunday morning. Mobile service can force install the latest firmware so that will hopefully fix it all.

Crazy to have so many issues with a brand new vehicle. There was a wreck on I-85 and a traffic jam due to it on the way home and it sucked with no autopilot due to the computer gremlins. It freaks out every 10-30 seconds due to the computer overheating issues so it’s totally unusable.
Thank you for your kind update. Hope all is well soon for your software update.