Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model X Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of my black 22 X Plaid with regrets! I even asked if i could return for refund the next morning which was rejected lol.

Issues:
1) 2 door dings (1 on each side)
2) Bumper scratches, mirror scratch
3) Overspray all over the car especially the windshield (very hazy under bright sun and you can see tiny dots/overspray that doesn't come off with commercial cleaners)
4) Rear drivers seat doesn't work (power switch not working)
5) Panel gap on the frame to hood (not fixable according to the local service tech)
6) Buffing swirls everywhere
7) White wax marks in deep crevices
8) Charge-port door opening randomly at traffic lights
9) Dirty finger prints and hand marks on the white seats
10) Wheel plastic aero parts not installed (not sure if I am supposed to do this myself which I don't see why I should have to)

This reminds me of the GUNG HO movie with Michael Keaton. Just about vehicle output numbers, and quality last!

Their solution, come back in 3 weeks, keep car there for 2 weeks to iron out the issues if possible. Also risk if something new shows up at pick up which I have heard. The detailers at the Roswell, GA are from the worst talent pool.

I am going to address the scratches, overspray and dings myself (scared to bring it back for service) but I am in shock how HORRIBLE the experience was for a $140k + car. I was 50/50 rejecting the car / taking delivery. That being said, the car is a pleasure to drive, very different and pleasing in driving experience. Looking forward for long EV trips this summer.

Has anyone had any success in return/refund of Tesla vehicles via legal channels?
Hate to clue you, but every Tesla has the crap on the windshield.

1) 2 door dings (1 on each side)
2) Bumper scratches, mirror scratch
I would take back to Roswell SC and have them repair. They outsource all body work to local body shop. They don’t do it themselves.

4) Rear drivers seat doesn't work (power switch not working)
SC to fix.

6) Buffing swirls everywhere
Same as #1 and #2 above.

10) Wheel plastic aero parts not installed (not sure if I am supposed to do this myself which I don't see why I should have to)
The wheel aero inserts should be in the frunk. I think they are metal and not plastic, but could be wrong because I don’t like them and didn’t install. Roswell SC does not install those (unless you request) because there is a chance of scratching the wheel during installation and some people don’t want them installed.

I am in shock how HORRIBLE the experience was for a $140k + car. I was 50/50 rejecting the car / taking delivery.
Agree and wouldn’t have blamed you for rejecting

That being said, the car is a pleasure to drive, very different and pleasing in driving experience. Looking forward for long EV trips this summer.
We have taken numerous long trips in MXP and it is fabulous.

Has anyone had any success in return/refund of Tesla vehicles via legal channels?
No advice here. Lemon law I think is your only path legally and I don’t see it applying in this instance.

Just took delivery of model x refresh few days ago for 7 seaters. Has anyone experienced this? This seat is dead. Cannot fold back even manual. Press the button behind the seat but not hearing anything.

Attachments

• C6179FB7-6AD8-40A1-AA4C-900845864F67.jpeg
    C6179FB7-6AD8-40A1-AA4C-900845864F67.jpeg
    420.2 KB · Views: 111
My comment refers to the fact that my “22 will start up and start drawing power through the HPWC any time I go out to the garage or open the door (HVAC is turned off) if I have it plugged in and charging scheduled. My “16 X did not didn’t do this, it would draw from the battery and wait until the scheduled start time to start charging. My current work around (until I can figure another way) is not to plug the car into the HPWC until late at night to preclude electrical draw through the HPWC before the scheduled time. The downside is that it won’t charge if I forget to plug into the HPWC. I got into the habit of plugging into the HPWC whenever I parked in the garage but somewhere along the models progression from 16 to 22 the parameters must have changed.
Hmmm. Just saw something similar on my 2017. Car was plugged in and already fully charged for the evening. Walked out to car and opened car door with AC and infotainment system coming on as expected. A moment later the wall charger indicated current flow; however, car charge ring which was green, was not pulsating and my app was not showing that I was charging car.

Note, I can't test the problem of it drawing current even if it's not time yet to charge (pre-schedule). At this location, we charge as soon as we plug in and it was already done for today.

Just took delivery of model x refresh few days ago for 7 seaters. Has anyone experienced this? This seat is dead. Cannot fold back even manual. Press the button behind the seat but not hearing anything.
Yes, this happened to us just the other day -- I ran it by the service center and they were able to temporarily get it to lock back into the normal position, but have an appointment to get it more fully repaired in a week. A little discouraged that you're seeing it too...

Yes, this happened to us just the other day -- I ran it by the service center and they were able to temporarily get it to lock back into the normal position, but have an appointment to get it more fully repaired in a week. A little discouraged that you're seeing it too...
You are still lucky. My Tesla service center does not want to look at it until our first service appointment (for scratches on window glass) in the next 10 days. They have to order new glass. Until then, they are not going to look at the seat. Feel very annoying.

You are still lucky. My Tesla service center does not want to look at it until our first service appointment (for scratches on window glass) in the next 10 days. They have to order new glass. Until then, they are not going to look at the seat. Feel very annoying.
See if you can try calling/messaging and mention it as a safety issue for people seated in the rear seats (if yours is doing what ours was, it sliding back and forth while driving could definitely hurt someone.) That's what got them to give me quicker attention at our local SC.

See if you can try calling/messaging and mention it as a safety issue for people seated in the rear seats (if yours is doing what ours was, it sliding back and forth while driving could definitely hurt someone.) That's what got them to give me quicker attention at our local SC.
Thank you so much for your help. Mine could not move. Like its stuck and dead.

Model X Front Plate holder:

We were given the wrong front plate holder at delivery (given the one for Model Y instead). This was a stick on plate holder, which was what we wanted, but of course does not fit.

We swung by Tesla service during a trip, and we were given a bolt on version from 2019. We were told that only Models 3 and Y had stick-on front plate holders. They scheduled Tesla mobile service to mount it for us.

Returning home DH found a part number for a stick-on front plate holder in the Tesla parts catalog for Model X 2021+. So it appears that they do exist and are the most recent version.

How on earth do we get one of these?!? That's what we should have been given in the first place.

Model X Front Plate holder:

We were given the wrong front plate holder at delivery (given the one for Model Y instead). This was a stick on plate holder, which was what we wanted, but of course does not fit.

We swung by Tesla service during a trip, and we were given a bolt on version from 2019. We were told that only Models 3 and Y had stick-on front plate holders. They scheduled Tesla mobile service to mount it for us.

Returning home DH found a part number for a stick-on front plate holder in the Tesla parts catalog for Model X 2021+. So it appears that they do exist and are the most recent version.

How on earth do we get one of these?!? That's what we should have been given in the first place.
Is this the right one you need? Happy to ship it to you if so. We don’t have to do front plates in South Carolina so it’s just taking up room on my workbench.

Attachments

• 3F3F0AE5-62E7-4CFF-B09E-5C4AD171EE9B.jpeg
    3F3F0AE5-62E7-4CFF-B09E-5C4AD171EE9B.jpeg
    375.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 78D80EBE-45D9-4ADD-84EA-6468AB52880D.jpeg
    78D80EBE-45D9-4ADD-84EA-6468AB52880D.jpeg
    308.6 KB · Views: 85
Took delivery of my black 22 X Plaid with regrets! I even asked if i could return for refund the next morning which was rejected lol.

Issues:
1) 2 door dings (1 on each side) Ridiculous
2) Bumper scratches, mirror scratch. Probably an easy repair
3) Overspray all over the car especially the windshield (very hazy under bright sun and you can see tiny dots/overspray that doesn't come off with commercial cleaners) Not sure how easy to remedy
4) Rear drivers seat doesn't work (power switch not working) They can fix this
5) Panel gap on the frame to hood (not fixable according to the local service tech) They can adjust. (Did on mine in Decatur) There is a big difference in knowledge and attitude amongst the techs.
6) Buffing swirls everywhere Easy fix
7) White wax marks in deep crevices They can get these out
8) Charge-port door opening randomly at traffic lights. Super annoying.....Mine randomly will not open and so far have not had them step up with a solution
9) Dirty finger prints and hand marks on the white seats. It happens...not a biggie
10) Wheel plastic aero parts not installed (not sure if I am supposed to do this myself which I don't see why I should have to). Unlike Bama I like them. Was also perturbed that they had not been installed. Tried doing it myself but with my skills I had them do it next time was in the area.

This reminds me of the GUNG HO movie with Michael Keaton. Just about vehicle output numbers, and quality last!

Their solution, come back in 3 weeks, keep car there for 2 weeks to iron out the issues if possible. Also risk if something new shows up at pick up which I have heard. The detailers at the Roswell, GA are from the worst talent pool.

I am going to address the scratches, overspray and dings myself (scared to bring it back for service) but I am in shock how HORRIBLE the experience was for a $140k + car. I was 50/50 rejecting the car / taking delivery. That being said, the car is a pleasure to drive, very different and pleasing in driving experience. Looking forward for long EV trips this summer.

Got this while driving yesterday. 10 mins later, got home parked, called Tesla, then went to my car again then the error message is gone. Drive a bit this morning and no error message came up. Anybody seen this message before and what was the issues? 2022.16.1.2

D24887FD-92FE-425A-A3DD-9B427FE35032.jpeg
17C42306-D8B0-4AAD-85CB-76F64E27B7AE.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
Is this the right one you need? Happy to ship it to you if so. We don’t have to do front plates in South Carolina so it’s just taking up room on my workbench.
I sent you my contact info. Are you able to see that private conversation I started with you? It’s the envelope symbol near the top of this page. But I have to turn my phone horizontal to see the envelope symbol.

First time Tesla X owner here and first time poster too. I picked up 2022 X last Friday with a near perfect car with only one very small panel alignment needed which was done while I waited. The X has not had a single problem since.
I often wonder how many buyers have a good experience with no problems. Obviously a thread like this is to talk about issues one is experiencing and not necessarily "no issue" reports, but it's encouraging to hear that someone got a car with no problems.

This X will be my second Tesla and my S had a bumpy start but once the issues were resolved it has been a splendid car. The best I have ever owned and I have had some very good cars.

What percentage of buyers have issues overall, I wonder?

Seat has a mid way stop point. Press hidden button and hold and it will release and continue down to be completely flat.

Or wait… are you trying to sit it up straight? Hmm might need service.

I took delivery of my MX LR today, seems I am lucky in that I see no issues (so far!) -- I went through the checklist and all seems well.

That said, I'm missing the 14-50 NEMA adapter from the mobile charger, not sure if they stopped including it? I ordered the car a long while ago so figured this would be a part of it.