Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model X Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is supercharging making anybody's car go crazy? Near the end or after every supercharging session, it starts throwing error messages and ultimately reboots itself. Even after the reboot, it will have persistent issues like frozen navigation & backup camera not working (side cams fine). A few more soft reboots or time passing takes care of it. Sometimes it takes a day to get back to normal. One time it hilariously starting honking randomly during the supercharge and telling me to pull over immediately... I could only stop it by unplugging. Service doesn't seem to know what to do. This car was delivered in February and has the latest software... however this issue existed on original 2021.X software as well. MCU issue??

Is supercharging making anybody's car go crazy? Near the end or after every supercharging session, it starts throwing error messages and ultimately reboots itself. Even after the reboot, it will have persistent issues like frozen navigation & backup camera not working (side cams fine). A few more soft reboots or time passing takes care of it. Sometimes it takes a day to get back to normal. One time it hilariously starting honking randomly during the supercharge and telling me to pull over immediately... I could only stop it by unplugging. Service doesn't seem to know what to do. This car was delivered in February and has the latest software... however this issue existed on original 2021.X software as well. MCU issue??

Did you rename your car, “Christine”?

Loving my new MX LR - just crossed the two week mark. I seem to be suffering from acute battery drain 15-30 miles (6-10%) per day while parked. Sentry mode (and climate preconditioning) is off and it’s parked primarily in a heated garage. Is the battery still in ‘learning’ mode or should I be concerned? Anything else I should be doing to minimize?

Reactions: JAG and Great White
This person had a similar problem:

Last edited:
Reactions: renshcp
Loving my new MX LR - just crossed the two week mark. I seem to be suffering from acute battery drain 15-30 miles (6-10%) per day while parked. Sentry mode (and climate preconditioning) is off and it’s parked primarily in a heated garage. Is the battery still in ‘learning’ mode or should I be concerned? Anything else I should be doing to minimize?
Do you keep It plugged in? I’ve heard just checking the app a lot and having summon on standby can drain battery a lot. I keep my plaid parked outside but plugged in with sentry on and cabin overheat protection on and only lose 3 miles overnight

Reactions: Great White
I’m 120 miles in and I still can’t get autopilot to work, the calibration in progress doesn’t show on the screen anymore, I also did a hard reset by pressing both wheel buttons. Any thoughts on what I can do?
You must go into the main menu and enable auto steer beta. And it must be done for each driver profile as well like a bunch of things must be now.. Select one or two clicks of the right scroll wheel as well. For each profile….

Reactions: Great White
If you press and hold the FWD button, the door will continue to open all the way. Then, there will be an option on the screen to "Always open fully at this location." Tap that, and you should be good to go.

View attachment 783499
Tried and tried this but this is not an option. I wish it was, must not be working on the new model refresh unless I missed something. Can’t do a lot of things the previous software did apparently.. like scroll wheel controls for various functions.

This person had a similar problem:
Great find, thanks! This is exactly my situation. I'll follow up with this guy and see if it gets resolved for him. The service center told me today that it was a known issue and to wait for a firmware resolution. I do wonder why it only affects certain Model Xs though. Perhaps we have a few chip substitutions on our builds that haven't had the bugs worked through yet.

Last edited:
Ah yes. I knew it wouldn’t be long until I was here.

My third row back passenger side seat stopped functioning. Motor won’t work. Wires look crushed. Throwing out a right rear safety restraint system fault message that persistently stays in the screen.

Every other time I use my turn signal, it says turn signal light fault, service required to restore functionality. Doesn’t seem like it actually stops working and the error message doesn’t even log itself in active alerts, just shows up and goes away several times a trip.

Mobile service coming to check everything April 6th. Also, Devon service center told me that the yoke worm is what it is and they can’t fix it because anything they replace it with will have the worm as well, so that’s kinda lame. Yay Tesla.
My guess is that your third row issues are all related to the software woes. I’ve noticed that when I get that stupid warning about the right rear safety restraint system, the motor in the middle seat stops functioning. Then, if it’s pushed back as far as it goes, the third row seat won’t fold down because the second row seat needs to “automatically” move forward an inch out two to get out of the way.

Whatever method you use to turn off that warning (seems like random luck after starting to me), the middle seat works again and so does the third row.

Good luck!

Reactions: renshcp
8B9F682E-CAAC-472E-9057-19EFF74CABC6.jpeg

Well, this is what my plaid looks like right now.. 1 month of ownership.

View attachment 788036
Well, this is what my plaid looks like right now.. 1 month of ownership.

Wtf. I have a 1500 mile road trip in 10 days and seeing all these bricked MXs has me really nervous. Did any of you who got bricked notice anything before this happened? I saw that someone’s X started freaking out while supercharging. I normally charge at home and was thinking of doing a quick charge at a SC to make sure mine doesn’t freak out.
I’ve had mine since 1/31 and all has been fine except for the occasional random reset of the screens but other than that I’ve had no other issues at all. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

Hope you guys get figured out sooner than later.

Reactions: jebinc
Wow, what ended up being the problem?
Wtf. I have a 1500 mile road trip in 10 days and seeing all these bricked MXs has me really nervous. Did any of you who got bricked notice anything before this happened? I saw that someone’s X started freaking out while supercharging. I normally charge at home and was thinking of doing a quick charge at a SC to make sure mine doesn’t freak out.
I’ve had mine since 1/31 and all has been fine except for the occasional random reset of the screens but other than that I’ve had no other issues at all. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

Hope you guys get figured out sooner than later.
I had no issues or warnings before this. I’ve only driven the car under 200 miles since getting it last months, with the majority miles going too and from the place I got it wrapped. I did update software a few days ago, but had no errors before this. And of course it took the tow truck 2 hours to come to my house and we pulled up to Tesla 2 minutes after they closed. It was a ghost town. Going to be interesting to see what they find the issue is tomorrow.

Wow, what ended up being the problem?

I had no issues or warnings before this. I’ve only driven the car under 200 miles since getting it last months, with the majority miles going too and from the place I got it wrapped. I did update software a few days ago, but had no errors before this. And of course it took the tow truck 2 hours to come to my house and we pulled up to Tesla 2 minutes after they closed. It was a ghost town. Going to be interesting to see what they find the issue is tomorrow.
They had no idea. Kept the car two weeks. Did very little, but Re grounded some connections. Told me to drive and monitor. Right, like I feel like taking a long trip in this car when they have no clue why it failed.

Tried and tried this but this is not an option. I wish it was, must not be working on the new model refresh unless I missed something. Can’t do a lot of things the previous software did apparently.. like scroll wheel controls for various functions.

I noticed this not working for me at one point and noticed GPS was not functioning properly.

Drive car around a bit and make sure GPS is tracking in your nav and then stop and try again. Maybe make sure you are outside.

It does function for me on my new MXP.