Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model X Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can folks here who have their X's check for the grease plug that should be in the tow receiver port behind the tow door when your modular receiver is not installed?

Tesla wants to charge me $143 for that missing tow receiver port grease retaining plug.

Anyone get the speaker grill squeak fixed by their SC?

I took mine into the SC a few weeks ago where I was getting squeaks on bumps (1% of the time). It got "fixed" and was great for a few days.

Then it got severely worse - now it squeaks ~30% of the time.
I brought mine in for what sounds like the same issue. They said in my case the grille was actually touching the windshield but while “fixing” they damaged the grille itself and I’ve been waiting for a replacement part ever since. I have had to push the appointment 2x now due to parts unavailability with the next attempt being next week. Hopefully they will actually fix it this time.

Reactions: Q-ship
Anyone get the speaker grill squeak fixed by their SC?

I took mine into the SC a few weeks ago where I was getting squeaks on bumps (1% of the time). It got "fixed" and was great for a few days.

Then it got severely worse - now it squeaks ~30% of the time.
haha we seem to have the same problem.

The grill is a buzz, the squeak seems to be the left corner of the top part of the dash, the part that meets up with the door

Originally going into SC tomorrow for passenger door issue and I added rattle/squeak from steering column/instrument cluster. Now they are sticking me with a $105 charge for that! For a brand new car.... That's horrible!

Based on what? I have 32 items that need fixing when I bring mine in tomorrow for the post delivery fixes. They're already trying to charge me $143 for the missing plastic grease plug that goes in the tow receiver port. I responded in the app asking why they're quoting me $143 for a 50 cent piece of plastic that they forgot to install.

Based on what? I have 32 items that need fixing when I bring mine in tomorrow for the post delivery fixes. They're already trying to charge me $143 for the missing plastic grease plug that goes in the tow receiver port. I responded in the app asking why they're quoting me $143 for a 50 cent piece of plastic that they forgot to install.
I'll definitely have a talk with them tomorrow. Officially the Tesla limited warranty excludes "normal noise and vibration" (page 7 of the linked doc).

I brought mine in for what sounds like the same issue. They said in my case the grille was actually touching the windshield but while “fixing” they damaged the grille itself and I’ve been waiting for a replacement part ever since. I have had to push the appointment 2x now due to parts unavailability with the next attempt being next week. Hopefully they will actually fix it this time.
I brought mine in for the same reason. It seems better, but not completely gone. Fortunately, they didn’t damage anything else. I heard about somebody else saying that the SC damaged the Alcântara on one of their A pillars removing the speaker grille.

I'll definitely have a talk with them tomorrow. Officially the Tesla limited warranty excludes "normal noise and vibration" (page 7 of the linked doc).

Was this a new noise or one you reported in the first 100 miles/24 miles? If the latter, it's a due bill issue since you technically can't gain access and test drive it before you accept it. If it's the former, then you have to fight with them over what "normal" is.

Was this a new noise or one you reported in the first 100 miles/24 miles? If the latter, it's a due bill issue since you technically can't gain access and test drive it before you accept it. If it's the former, then you have to fight with them over what "normal" is.
I had noticed the rattle on day 2 of ownership and thought I could live with it given all the repair horror stories. I brought it up at my first SC visit a few weeks ago for other issues but the SA said I would have to open a new ticket. They deferred one of my repairs to tomorrow due to part availability. I then added the rattle concern to this ticket and they decided to charge me $105.

My dashboard top had fraying stitching on the instrument cluster, so luckily was scheduled to be replaced before the rattle from the speaker grille started. they still noticed the noise after the new dash top was installed, so they put some insulation felt between the grille and windshield. Its dead silent in the vehicle ever since.

IMG_A848E04F8124-1.jpeg

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
I've searched the forums to see if anyone else is complaining about this issue, but haven't found any hits. Has everyone else noticed the inconsistent volume of the turn signal sound? Sometimes it's at a normal volume and sometimes the turn signal click sound is deafening loud. I hope they fix this in a future software release.
The clicks adapt to the sound level of the entertainment system and speed. You might try Joe Mode, that reduces all vehicle tone/clicks/beeps a significant amount (for me, a bit too much).

Last edited:
The clicks adapt to the sound level of the entertainment system and speed. You might try Joe Mode, that reduces all vehicle tone/clicks/beeps a significant amount (for me, a bit too much).
I guess I can try "Joe Mode" and I did assume the change in volume it was part of the adaptive sound leveling. It just seems like their sound leveling processing isn't very good.

My dashboard top had fraying stitching on the instrument cluster, so luckily was scheduled to be replaced before the rattle from the speaker grille started. they still noticed the noise after the new dash top was installed, so they put some insulation felt between the grille and windshield. Its dead silent in the vehicle ever since.

View attachment 801049
if stitching is fraying they will replace it? i have fraying on the driver door handle that's annoying

I've searched the forums to see if anyone else is complaining about this issue, but haven't found any hits. Has everyone else noticed the inconsistent volume of the turn signal sound? Sometimes it's at a normal volume and sometimes the turn signal click sound is deafening loud. I hope they fix this in a future software release.
I noticed this also, especially when I'm talking to my wife on the phone and she's the one driving the X. The turn signals are ridiculously loud for the person on the other end of the call. I jokingly told her to stop using her turn signals when she's on the phone with me :D

I noticed this also, especially when I'm talking to my wife on the phone and she's the one driving the X. The turn signals are ridiculously loud for the person on the other end of the call. I jokingly told her to stop using her turn signals when she's on the phone with me :D
In my area, the rules now prevent the driver from using the phone at all, while driving. That also solved the problem 😇