Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model X Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
argh im pretty sure my wheel alignment is off. The yoke kinda favors to the right on straight/flat roads. About 1500 miles on the car.

SC estimates $280 to fix alignment.
Ugh that's what I'm afraid of on my MXP that I'm taking delivery of on Friday. I had an alignment issue (pulls to the right) on my current MYLR which was adjusted by SC. Things worked for a few months, then I had my tires rotated recently and things seem to be back to pulling to the right again.

That, and panel gaps.

Last edited:
Did you also have the issue with the backup camera freezing on long road trips or while preconditioning for supercharging? If so, is that happening again?
Its getting ceramic and a frontal PPF, but I can try to check those things when I get it back. I see there's another software update available for my car. Don't know what version since it doesn't have wifi at the detailers.

Smaller HEPA?

Why would they do that? Does anyone know if the replacement cost for new filter and labor would be SIGNIFICANTLY LESS, as the old replacement was pretty costly. That could be a benefit.

Does the Smaller air HEPA filter mean higher wind velocity at the intake and exhaust so it's now louder? Any engineers care to chime in? I would think it might be louder if the overall surface area is reduced and its thicker meaning more resistance and air friction.

Quick question for those who moved from their old X to a new one- or especially those who currently have the Old X and the NEW Model X.

Ahem COMPARATIVELY to the OLD Model X How Loud is the NEW MX HVAC system on the lower settings i.e. fan speeds 1,2,3,4? And expecially in cold weather, because its my understanding that heat pumps eventually frost up and have to go through a heating cycle to the outside heat exchanger and hence work harder in extreme cold. The Old MX would not have this issue as it would not need to "defrost" the outer coils in winter.

Is it louder or quieter? Louder I would consider an Issue, for instance I find Model 3 and Model Y HVAC to be way too loud for stealth camping and if the new MX is as loud... thats an issue for me.

I "stealth Tesla Camp" quite a bit in the winter- making much use out of the Multi Ski passes to multiple IKON Pass and EPIC Pass destinations. So Stealth is important to me. A loud HVAC on low is an absolute deal breaker. It's bad enough that the Yoke looks like it will not be good for correcting for an emergency "turn into the skid on black ice while simultaneously honking your horn" (try hitting the horn button for an emergency press while simultaneousy moving the wheel hand over hand (which I have gotten good at in old MX) ... It's when "Task Management" is at its most critical overload when we tend to get into crashes and not being able to warn other drivers to try and move away from you when you are in a skid seems, well, irresponsible to me .

Black Ice is not avoidable in many situations even at reduced speeds. There may be times when I am pulling an Airstream as well and early lightning fast intervention and signaling to others is very very very important. I will likely have to do an after market parallel circuit pressure sensitive momentary on switch to the center of the steering wheel to restore safety in that situation, but even so Im not sure the Yoke will be as good for correcting a skid on black ice. Has anyone successfully executed the above maneuver?

Smaller HEPA filter ?? Well thats a total drag since my filter got pretty dirty quickly (Lasts about 2 years) as I have trained turtles that are with me at all times and they need climate control in the winter when they come to Aspen. Oddly they are VIP at the best Après ski events, and love being social. Their newest trick is "High Fiving" everyone .

The Tesla and my unlimited free supercharging on my 2017 Model X has enabled me to introduce more people to how important conservation is for Sea turtles as well as Land turtles. I bought MX to tour with an Airstream to help with conservation efforts, but I have never been able to do this for years because I can't outfit my car since it's been in Lemon limbo with Tesla.

Tesla Turtles

Sadly my 2017 Model X is a total Lemon- looks like it was in a crash before Tesla sold me it as the replacement car for one that was delivered backed into a pole , and it's drivers door was out of wack on delivery, I was so tired of waiting for my car I just begrudgingly took it. (Tesla is not required to disclose damage on cars delivered if the damage is less than 6% of the purchase price).

I took it to (in California) Barranca, Costa Mesa, Lake Forest, Centinella, Burbank (Burbank scratched all my interior panels when the car was just 10 days old and still has not replaced the all panels and Tesla even gave me a worse scratched one!) , Torrance, Littleton CO, Las Vegas, I even had a Ranger come out twice. Multiple attempts at Costa Mesa (who dented my car twice in service backing into bushed near the entrance TWICE!) , Lake Forest.... sigh...

The cars are cool but the service is about the most uncool experience I have ever had.

I feel like I've been repeatedly bullied and beaten up by a gang .

Want your blood pressure to surge??, Service your car at Costa Mesa run by incompetent Carmel Rodgers a scatter brained service manager, it's the worst experience you can have as a Tesla owner. If I can help save just one Tesla owner from Costa Mesa Service I would feel like I have done a service for the Tesla community.

I tried to hand my lemon back in before Model X production shut down and it would have cost nothing to do the swap in terms of my equity in the car and cost of the replacement Model X in 2020 (which actually would have had 360 miles of range) . But Tesla botched the color and interior on the replacement so I said I would wait for another car. The line was supposed to be shut down for a few days so I agreed to let them make me another car. Well, $22,500 of 17 months of car payments late r(of which Tesla gave me none of that essentially ignoring Lemon law rules for delays that were their fault) and slapped me with a $28,000 price increase (Despite telling me I was grandfathered on price when I got caught in production limbo..I'm sure Elon would have their heads if I could ever get to him) and endless lies about delivery...I still don't have my car and Tesla has taken over 4 weeks to buy back my car since the new one arrived in Portland.

My Model X "upgrade" means loss of :

• Unlimited lifetime supercharging (what will cost me about $40 a day now ...I may as well have an ICE car or RV that I could do climate control on for less per day in propane during fossil fuel.)
  • Loss of Premium lifetime data
  • Loss of Enhanced Autopilot
  • Loss of Center console heating (dang the rear seat area is was cold enough in the old MX)
  • Loss of $50,500 for the upgrade delays of 17 months and Tesla Skirting the lemon law (Lawyers feel free to contact me it would be very appreciated)
  • Loss of a steering wheel that could help save my life in an emergency skid with a heavy trailer
  • Fireplace Romance Mode won't look as nice on the Horizontal screen (they better not delete this ..is it still there?)
The benefits:

• A car that is mildly faster 0-60 and might have more 50 miles more range (or not, as range estimates are never accurate and likely is about 25 miles of extra range.)
  • An firmer Raven type suspension than my 2016 or 2017 MX
  • New Warranty , better book value if the car was totaled.
  • Netflix may be easier to see landscape , but still might burn up the MCU chips like it did on older models, still necessitating an Ipad .
But loud HVAC is something that would be a Toal drag. and would require me to replace the car with a car even older than the one I currently have!!! Just to get back free supercharging and Premium connectivity and Enhanced auto pilot ! So I'm just hoping it sounds quieter from the outside.

Someone here has got to know this answer or MAYBE could shoot a video comparison in their grade with side by side X's?

To end on a positive note. I still love Teslas. I don't like being in any other car.

FWIW I am amazed at how women ABSOLUTELY love CAMP MODE in Model X, and how they adore the fireplace romance feature- major Props to Elòn for those two features which seem to be missing on other EVs.

The dude may have horrible service and be on Elòn time (lets hope he lives a long long time on Elòn time because Tesla wouldn't be nearly as good without him, and if he died his fleet would immediately be used as roving 24/7 surveillance) , but Elòn is so insanely cool for doing these simple two things. Camp mode and Romance mode.

There simply is no other airstream towing great handling crossover with camp mode so you can stealth camp that can use the Tesla Supercharging network so for me I still need MX and can't consider anything else.
I have a 2017 MX and a 2022 MX and am aware of the HEPA filter size / shape differences. I don't perceive any sound level increase, maybe even a slight decrease in the passenger cabin.

The velocity in the new filter should not be a major issue, as compared to maximum air flow rates. And certainly less of an issue, at lower fan speeds. If anything, the old HEPA filter was just way oversized. The new filter enabled Tesla to provide you with a slightly bigger frunk as well as rearranging their equipment that's behind it.

I do suspect that the new HEPA filter will not last as long as the old one, due to the smaller surface area. I have not replaced my 2017 @ ~63,000 miles and I use dog mode extensively. However, I have cleaned it with a vacuum cleaner - but it was never too dirty to begin with.

I have a 2017 MX and a 2022 MX and am aware of the HEPA filter size / shape differences. I don't perceive any sound level increase, maybe even a slight decrease in the passenger cabin.

The velocity in the new filter should not be a major issue, as compared to maximum air flow rates. And certainly less of an issue, at lower fan speeds. If anything, the old HEPA filter was just way oversized. The new filter enabled Tesla to provide you with a slightly bigger frunk as well as rearranging their equipment that's behind it.

I do suspect that the new HEPA filter will not last as long as the old one, due to the smaller surface area. I have not replaced my 2017 @ ~63,000 miles and I use dog mode extensively. However, I have cleaned it with a vacuum cleaner - but it was never too dirty to begin with.
Is the new filter the same thickness as the old filter? I assume that a thicker filter with a smaller area could provide the same surface area and thus avoid a reduction to replacement time (iirc, they increased the maintenance schedule to specify replacement every three years instead of every two years, which suggests to me that something is allowing for a longer lifespan, as opposed to shorter).

Is the new filter the same thickness as the old filter? I assume that a thicker filter with a smaller area could provide the same surface area and thus avoid a reduction to replacement time (iirc, they increased the maintenance schedule to specify replacement every three years instead of every two years, which suggests to me that something is allowing for a longer lifespan, as opposed to shorter).
The new filter is behind the framework and battery - you can see its width and height, and you can see inside of it - but I don't have a sense of the depth. (see my previous post pointing at the Monroe & Ass. video of the model S)...

Because of its location I am not as confident it will be easy to remove and replace... but I did not really try.

So I brought my car in last Friday to get the passenger door fixed and have the rattle looked at. I told them I had complained about the rattle at the last visit and they agreed to remove the $105 charge. Went on a road test with a technician and the rattle was easily reproducible. They have seen the problem before so they know what to do. Nice to be in an area with lots of Teslas and close the factory. The SC ordered a replacement "dash pad" because the current one won't survive removal very well.

Bad news is that they need another part to fix the door so the car is staying until Friday.
What was the rattle caused by??

Great. Picked up my new MXP to drive to Glacier NP and I’m currently stuck up here with a charge port that won’t work. Only shows blue and no charger will work. Roadside says they’ll only cover 200 miles and it’s a 250+ mile tow to the nearest service center (which is nowhere near home). A ruined vacation and I’ll be probably paying out of pocket on a brand new $140K car. Should’ve just rejected delivery on this POS.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
Great. Picked up my new MXP to drive to Glacier NP and I’m currently stuck up here with a charge port that won’t work. Only shows blue and no charger will work. Roadside says they’ll only cover 200 miles and it’s a 250+ mile tow to the nearest service center (which is nowhere near home). A ruined vacation and I’ll be probably paying out of pocket on a brand new $140K car. Should’ve just rejected delivery on this POS.

Ouch!

In the old days, (pre Grimes/ 420 tweet) they actually had a delivery checklist and used it, even for CPO cars.

What is your current state of charge?

PM me, I have some ideas if you are willing to try a few things.

Maybe it will get fixed just in time for the road to the sun to open.

As reported on other threads, the Tesla service manual access is now FREE.

Just go to tesla.support.com and log in.

Why? Because all the Service bulletins are there, including the one on the charge port not opening (Bad BT antenna)

When the SvC tried to give you the bum rush "Normal, functioning as designed, they all do that, normal wear and tear, software update coming soon, we are waiting for engineering, not covered by warranty, your CAN bus reader broke your car, Teslafi will invalidate your warranty, etc*"

Shove that SB in their face

*Not that I have been personally scarred, by things like this...
Went through the service bulletins and the only one germane that I saw applied to 2021 Model S.
If you could include a link to BT issues for the Model X charge port I would deeply appreciate it.

argh im pretty sure my wheel alignment is off. The yoke kinda favors to the right on straight/flat roads. About 1500 miles on the car.

SC estimates $280 to fix alignment.

Good news is I got my alignment fixed by the awesome SC folks in Berkeley. Better news is they didn't charge me for it. They gave me the alignment report and holy hell were the before measurements a mess. Car has 1600 miles on it. Suspicion is the misalignment came when the wheels were removed during PPF/Ceramic installation (wheels were coated).

Image from iOS (2).jpg

Reactions: AudreyHTX1