Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model X Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for your kind update. Hope all is well soon for your software update.
Tesla service remotely analyzed the vehicle and said it’s not software issue. They confirmed some parts need to be replaced so they’re working on sourcing the parts to fix it.

Seems like everyone should be watching for these kinds of issues caused by thermal management as there is some bad hardware that’s overheating even in the latest vehicles coming off the line :(.

Tesla service remotely analyzed the vehicle and said it’s not software issue. They confirmed some parts need to be replaced so they’re working on sourcing the parts to fix it.

Seems like everyone should be watching for these kinds of issues caused by thermal management as there is some bad hardware that’s overheating even in the latest vehicles coming off the line :(.
Oh too bad! I am a bit nervous about picking up our vehicle which was built just 9 days later than yours. But if it misbehaves on the first part of driving home I’ll turn around and go back to the SC.

Thank you so much for keeping us updated.

Last edited:
Reactions: BonB
My most important question that I’m hoping someone can answer is the interior road noise. It’s the single biggest negative I have about my car. I’ve spent extra money trying to soundproof doors, floors, etc but it hasn’t made much different. In my previous BMW X5, I could make phone calls on the car system and no one even knew I was driving. I have a small GMC Canyon pickup, (Diesel BTW), and it is quieter than my current MX. Seems ridiculous to me that a luxury car at that price sounds like you are driving a van.
Been driving my new MX Plaid for about 10 days now, and I’m very impressed with call quality and sound. I was on calls from the car all morning today, including while at a very loud Supercharger, and nobody even asked/noticed where I was. I came from a pretty loud ICE SUV so the difference is night and day. Can’t compare it to any other Teslas, but I can tell you that you will love this car.

Thanks for your update. Glad to hear that they will be replacing some parts to resolve the thermal management issues that you encounter. Hope all is well!

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
I hope this is the right place for this question. 10 Years ago I spent hours and hours on this forum. I ordered a signature MX in February 2011, received it in December 2015 almost 4 years later. (Sorry, my picture doesn’t work, I have the “MODEL X” plate for the state of Washington.). Attended a couple of launch parties in Freemont while waiting, I was the ultimate Tesla supporter. Now, 7 years later with 140K miles on the car, I have to make a decision about a new MX plaid. I ordered it awhile back and it is now ready for delivery.

I’ve tried every possible route I can think of to get a view and/or test drive of the new version. Not possible. I live in the Seattle area but happened to be on a road trip down the coast so I stopped today at the factory at Freemont. Nothing to even look at. No test drives. I asked if I would be able to test drive my car before final delivery, answer no. You can look at the outside but if you unlock the car, you have accepted delivery. (Seems crazy to me, here is a 150k diamond but you can’t look at it until you have paid for it?). Given all of the comments I am seeing about the new version, I’m more concerned than ever. It’s a 150K purchase and you can’t look at what you are buying? I get that I did that with the first one, it wasn’t even being made at that time but this is different. Had issues being a pioneer, some of which were never resolved, but I accepted that. The pioneers get the arrows.

My most important question that I’m hoping someone can answer is the interior road noise. It’s the single biggest negative I have about my car. I’ve spent extra money trying to soundproof doors, floors, etc but it hasn’t made much different. In my previous BMW X5, I could make phone calls on the car system and no one even knew I was driving. I have a small GMC Canyon pickup, (Diesel BTW), and it is quieter than my current MX. Seems ridiculous to me that a luxury car at that price sounds like you are driving a van.

Is there a previous MX owner that has purchased a new one that could give me their opinion on the difference in road noise? I understand from the specs that the new model has “noise cancelling” features. I assume that to be like Bose noise cancelling headsets but have no idea how effective that is in a vehicle. It seems like better insulation would be a simpler solution. My ultimate solution would be that someone in the Seattle area with a new one would let me take a ride with them.

Based upon my delivery window, I have a couple of weeks to make a final decision. Any information or help would be appreciated.
Model X Plaid owner for a few months, previously had a 2021 Pre-refresh LR with 22” wheels that I bought just to see if I’d like a Tesla prior to ordering and waiting for the Plaid. 2021 was a bit noisy on phone calls, people noticed. Same people say they don’t hear the same background noise with the new Plaid. Bluetooth might also be better. So YES, big difference in road noise. Double pane glass on driver & passenger side door on new Plaid makes a big difference for sure. Probably many other underbody improvements that are helping. Car is simply tighter and more refined. Note; have summer tires on, winter or all season’s might impact road noise. Also, opted for 20” instead of 22” wheels to mitigate noise from road cracks & heaves. Located in Wisconsin where roads are in rough shape so its a good testing ground. That said, I still hold my 2019 Audi Q8 as a winner for the quietest interior but it doesn’t surpass the Plaid’s technology, speed, and fuel savings!

Reactions: BonB
I’ve tried every possible route I can think of to get a view and/or test drive of the new version. Not possible. I live in the Seattle area but happened to be on a road trip down the coast so I stopped today at the factory at Freemont. Nothing to even look at. No test drives. I asked if I would be able to test drive my car before final delivery, answer no. You can look at the outside but if you unlock the car, you have accepted delivery. (Seems crazy to me, here is a 150k diamond but you can’t look at it until you have paid for it?). Given all of the comments I am seeing about the new version, I’m more concerned than ever. It’s a 150K purchase and you can’t look at what you are buying? I get that I did that with the first one, it wasn’t even being made at that time but this is different. Had issues being a pioneer, some of which were never resolved, but I accepted that. The pioneers get the arrows.

Hi there. We did not have a pre-Refresh X but my wife says that our Refresh MX is much quieter than her 2018 MS. I think it's the new glass mostly. I get some weird pulsing with the Noise Cancelling so I have turned it off.

The quality seems to be getting much better. My car was an EOQ1 (March) car but it is/was in fantastic shape. I don't see nearly the horror stories over the last few weeks in the delivery thread about mismatched trims, misaligned doors, damage, etc.

That being said, assuming you are taking delivery at a delivery center, you can ABSOLUTELY crawl around the car inside and out before taking delivery. What they said about unlocking the car equals acceptance is wrong. You have to push a button in the app to Accept. Tesla can definitely unlock the car for you as they had to do so in order to prep the car.

When I arrived they already had the key fobs programmed, handed one of them to me, and said come back when you're ready to sign the paperwork. I suppose I could have driven it but didn't think to do so. But I spent a good 30 minutes crawling all around, kids sitting in the back testing the A/C, raised and lowered the FWDs a bunch of times looking for paint rubbing, inspected the seals, raised and lowered the 3rd row, moved the second row forward and backward, kids tested the video games, etc. Once we were happy I went in, signed the paperwork, and transferred the money.

Now if you're doing home delivery, they won't like you to do that since the DS has to sit and wait for you to inspect and they want to get back to the Delivery Center and/or move on to their next delivery. You can still demand it though. If they balk, tell them to take it back. I agree that no one should be made to accept a product that they haven't been able to examine ahead of time.

Hi there. We did not have a pre-Refresh X but my wife says that our Refresh MX is much quieter than her 2018 MS. I think it's the new glass mostly. I get some weird pulsing with the Noise Cancelling so I have turned it off.

The quality seems to be getting much better. My car was an EOQ1 (March) car but it is/was in fantastic shape. I don't see nearly the horror stories over the last few weeks in the delivery thread about mismatched trims, misaligned doors, damage, etc.

That being said, assuming you are taking delivery at a delivery center, you can ABSOLUTELY crawl around the car inside and out before taking delivery. What they said about unlocking the car equals acceptance is wrong. You have to push a button in the app to Accept. Tesla can definitely unlock the car for you as they had to do so in order to prep the car.

When I arrived they already had the key fobs programmed, handed one of them to me, and said come back when you're ready to sign the paperwork. I suppose I could have driven it but didn't think to do so. But I spent a good 30 minutes crawling all around, kids sitting in the back testing the A/C, raised and lowered the FWDs a bunch of times looking for paint rubbing, inspected the seals, raised and lowered the 3rd row, moved the second row forward and backward, kids tested the video games, etc. Once we were happy I went in, signed the paperwork, and transferred the money.

Now if you're doing home delivery, they won't like you to do that since the DS has to sit and wait for you to inspect and they want to get back to the Delivery Center and/or move on to their next delivery. You can still demand it though. If they balk, tell them to take it back. I agree that no one should be made to accept a product that they haven't been able to examine ahead of time.

I guess it all depends on the SC.... When I went for my pick up they would absolutely not budge no matter what I said... the key fobs and cards were inside the car and it was locked. After much pleading, expressing frustration and debating, I had to hit accept in order to unlock the car with my phone... And only then was I able to fully inspect the interior and test doors, etc.

Has anyone who received a White MX had any luck getting the service center to address the mismatched bumper color?

My car is currently in service and they told me that this was due to the bumper being a different material and "we are constantly working to improve our paint process so we will relay this issue to the Fremont factory"... sure...

I seem to recall that another user got a bumper replacement but I couldn't find the post in 46 pages of this thread.. maybe I am imagining things?

Note in the image below the bumper has a slight tan hue to it. This is even more obvious in direct sunlight. Also excuse the dirty car :)

1654712616545.png

Has anyone who received a White MX had any luck getting the service center to address the mismatched bumper color?

My car is currently in service and they told me that this was due to the bumper being a different material and "we are constantly working to improve our paint process so we will relay this issue to the Fremont factory"... sure...

I seem to recall that another user got a bumper replacement but I couldn't find the post in 46 pages of this thread.. maybe I am imagining things?

Note in the image below the bumper has a slight tan hue to it. This is even more obvious in direct sunlight. Also excuse the dirty car :)

View attachment 814228
This is pretty common on white pearl colored cars and it's not just a Tesla problem. It is because of material... but sometimes it comes out better than other times. It's sort of hit and miss it would seem. My MYP has a VERY VERY slight color mismatch that I can detect depending on lighting condition. It seems to be worse on the Model X. It is enough of a concern for me that I didn't want to chance it so we ordered MSM.

@ironwill96, it will be interesting to hear what you find, I'm still on 101.1 and wondering if this release is stable

my wife has driven it a few times after the update and she’s had no overheating related issues so far, everything is working again including internet. I’m on a work trip but I’ve been able to watch the car remotely now.

Reactions: BonB and darhall993
Go for it! I had a 2017 Model X (5 seater) that was terrific. My only complaint was the poor rear a/c and the front end shudder needed to be fixed twice. I had no complaints about interior noise. I now have a 2022 Model X (5 seater) which is the quietest vehicle I have ever been in. The glass is double paned and there is very little, if any, road noise. I have not played with the noise cancelling feature to see how effective it is. However, the a/c on high is fairly loud. The ventilated seats are fantastic and might help with keeping the a/c fan on low. My only issue with my new X was a creaking noise coming from the dash. This has been fixed. You will love it. My old Model 3 (with only single pane glass) had terrible road noise. My newer Model Y is pretty quiet, but not as good as the new X. Good luck.
I have a creaking/rattling noise coming from the mesh piece up against the windshield. Is that where yours was making noise? Also, how long did it take them to fix the noise?

my wife has driven it a few times after the update and she’s had no overheating related issues so far, everything is working again including internet. I’m on a work trip but I’ve been able to watch the car remotely now.
Well that is very encouraging!

We updated to 22.16.1.1 overnight. It might have cured the frequent spontaneous charger door opening problem we experienced yesterday (only when parked) as we haven’t seen it this morning.

Anyone else have speaker issues? Seems like at least one of the speakers is bad or flaky - it sounds bad but only in certain songs and others I can play at volume 9 no issues. Is the sound system actually designed to function correctly at volume 10-11? Just wondering if I need to file service for it.

Also debating if they still need to replace the MCU since the software update seems to have resolved everything for the moment.

Anyone else having a spontaneous charging startup? Car is set to charge at 0115 to take advantage of time of use super off peak rates. If I go out to the car for anything or have the key fob near the car, it will start charging as soon as the car turns on. Currently on 22.12.3.12 ver but it did not just start with this update. I think the problem is with the car not the Tesla HPWC because it did not do this with my 2016.
Feedback?

I hope this is the right place for this question. 10 Years ago I spent hours and hours on this forum. I , I have a couple of weeks to make a final decision. Any information or help would be appreciated.
I have both Mx 2017 and 2022, identical configuration. (See my signature for details. )

I would say the 2022 is slightly quieter and smoother, but only slightly. The noise cancellation is minimal at this time, you can hear a slight difference when you turn it on.

Generally, people are happy to speak to me via the car 's Bluetooth system. I don't sense any substantive difference between the two cars

The 2022 is a better built car and definitely ha a longer range. It also has more bells and whistles...