Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model X Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my Model X 7-seater LR late last month. Couple of things I noticed:

- MCU makes an electronic/fan noise all the time, even when the car is parked/powered off from reset/not charging.
- Rear display, YouTube doesn't really work right. Some of the buttons don't even work or respond, like the search button.
- The cooled seats seem a little loud for the amount of air you get. Almost sounds like a white noise machine. I've been in a Rivian with cooled seats, was way quieter.
- For the left steering wheel scroll button. When I scroll up or down to adjust the volume, the screen will show the same volume level unless I scroll twice up/down. Also, when I want to go next/skip for the music it sometimes thinks I'm pressing down (activating pause instead). I have a model 3, and I never have this issue in that car.
- Sometimes I hear creaking noises at the top of the windshield (where the plastic tube is to hide front camera wiring) after it's been parked in the hot sun for a while.
- I'm having an issue installing 2022.20.6 keeps getting stuck downloading around 50-60%.

Also, I see some people talk about aero wheel covers for the Model X. I have the stock 20". I thought the X doesn't have aero covers? Or am I missing something?
YouTube is stretched horizontally and yeah I think some parts of the screen/parts of YouTube don’t respond, but the kids have fun with it which is cute. I would like separate audio (like Bluetooth headsets for them) so I could continue to enjoy my music, but personally I’m ok with listening to their silly YouTube videos they are playing.

I’m trusting there will be improvements to things like this in software updates.

I haven’t heard of aero covers for the X wheels.

I took delivery a couple of days ago and noticed under the yoke. There are two cut marks on the leather, one on each side. Common?

Attachments

• C1FA25C7-A627-424D-AD49-765528B9C04B.jpeg
    C1FA25C7-A627-424D-AD49-765528B9C04B.jpeg
    226.9 KB · Views: 233
Reactions: bobusn

Thanks for the link to that—I had forgotten where I had seen it. It will be interesting to see when & how (if?) that methodology is implemented.

If you have the service manual subscription you can see that the present implementation is, indeed, fans.

I did see a patent that was basicly, liquid cooled seats. Refrigerant, through the use of a heat exchanger, cooled another liquid that ran through tubing in the seats for heat and cooling. This seems much more efficient..
Interesting, though that would not help with the natural evaporation of water from the skin, which the air REALLY helps with (prevents the sticky feeling).

Edit: I guess if your skin is kept cool, the rate of water evaporation will go way down, though not to zero. So without doing a scientific study on it, IMO air is better.

Reactions: Donsla MS
I put my hand on the seat yesterday and could definitely feel some airflow. But I don’t think it’s intended to blow on you where you feel a breeze, just to cool the seat.
Yesterday car was set to 74 and we got a little hot. I lowered it to 72 and woosh, a blast of cool air came out of the seats. Right on my bottom, felt good. It dropped off quickly but you do feel it.

Definitely feels lately that the ventilated seats have way less fan power than they did when I took delivery in Feb. I wonder if something was updated recently via an update. I went so far as to schedule a service appt for next week to have them look at the seat fans because its notably less airflow than I had a few weeks back.
Or, your fanny got bigger, plugging up more holes in the seat! Just kidding. More heat now than Feb. so maybe the seats seemed more effective back when the outside temp and humidity was less obnoxious..🤔

• Funny
Reactions: lexus26 and bobusn
no heat here in San Francisco. Temps in upper 50s. 😉

FWIW - we just did a SF -> Chicago -> SF road trip, and the ventilated seats were much more prominent on the first leg of the trip than the second. Service visit next week will confirm.
Wow. OK, It will be interesting to hear what they have to say. If they say it is whithin spec, ask them what is the reference the use for, "spec"...

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
I can only say that I have confidence Tesla will make things right and they will get to the bottom of the issue.

In no way would I detract from your chagrin and disappointment, but I would encourage you that Tesla has THE most motivated engineers in the world working constantly on solving Tesla issues.

Here’s hoping yours is doing better soon! 🤗
It’s been weeks, tesla still did not get to the bottom of my gps issue and have no interest fix it for me.

There will probably be very little airflow through the seats when you are sitting on them, as you will block the holes.
Perhaps the idea is that if you sweat, the moisture will wick through the material, while a fan from below will evaporate that moisture and provide a cooling effect to the fabric.

You definitely feel the coolness on your body where it touches the seat when you have the chair cooling on and turn the AC down a couple of degrees. I think that’s the point. It’s just that when cabin temperature reaches the new lower temperature it’s not that noticeable anymore.

Reactions: KidsEyeDr