Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model X Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone who received a White MX had any luck getting the service center to address the mismatched bumper color?

My car is currently in service and they told me that this was due to the bumper being a different material and "we are constantly working to improve our paint process so we will relay this issue to the Fremont factory"... sure...

I seem to recall that another user got a bumper replacement but I couldn't find the post in 46 pages of this thread.. maybe I am imagining things?

Note in the image below the bumper has a slight tan hue to it. This is even more obvious in direct sunlight. Also excuse the dirty car :)

View attachment 814228
Mine looks exactly like this. Did you ever get a resolution? What's weird is that under direct sun or bright light it looks 100% fine (perfect match with metal panels). But at dusk or on a cloudy day and it looks very yellow.

Even weirder: the front bumper looks fine. I assume it's the same material, so the "all white bumpers will look mismatched" line you hear seems wrong.

Mine looks exactly like this. Did you ever get a resolution? What's weird is that under direct sun or bright light it looks 100% fine (perfect match with metal panels). But at dusk or on a cloudy day and it looks very yellow.

Even weirder: the front bumper looks fine. I assume it's the same material, so the "all white bumpers will look mismatched" line you hear seems wrong.

Sadly no. First they claimed it matched and they couldn't see the difference. I then parked mine right next to another white MX in the delivery lot and they saw the difference.

I was then told that this was "within fault tolerance" and they would not be able to replace the unit. However - they gave me a complimentary yearly routine service for my next visit to compensate... Eh.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark and mix261
Sadly no. First they claimed it matched and they couldn't see the difference. I then parked mine right next to another white MX in the delivery lot and they saw the difference.

I was then told that this was "within fault tolerance" and they would not be able to replace the unit. However - they gave me a complimentary yearly routine service for my next visit to compensate... Eh.
Interesting that another X didn't have the fault. I was starting to think they all have it. So at least you proved that it's possible for them to produce a matching bumper.

The thing is, I wonder if the "other X" would then show a mismatched bumper in direct sunlight (mine only shows in the shade).

Reactions: studioloft
Interesting that another X didn't have the fault. I was starting to think they all have it. So at least you proved that it's possible for them to produce a matching bumper.

The thing is, I wonder if the "other X" would then show a mismatched bumper in direct sunlight (mine only shows in the shade).
My friend just got a red X a couple weeks ago - saw a similar mismatch issue. Looked like the bumpers were either shy some primer or missing a layer of paint.

Hello there, that was me that got the bumper replacement but that was a nightmare in and of itself. It took two weeks for the new bumper to arrive and when I came to pick up, it had a big area where the paint got scraped off. And so I waited another two weeks for another bumper which they then notified me that it too had a paint defect. I thought that I was in the bumper twilight zone lol.

I then asked them to just have a body shop fix and paint the bumper instead of keep ordering new bumpers. And when I finally got the car back… the bumper is still yellow🙄.

• Informative
Reactions: studioloft
I’m going to post this in several threads to try to capture as many responses. Does anyone feel a hard lump when sitting in the front seats? In the driver’s and front passenger seat, I find a hard lump right where my posterior rests on the seat. The pressure on my butt feels like I’m sitting on a basketball. When I push down on the area of either front seat with my hands, I can feel something — like a 8-10 inch x 6 inch plastic air cushion. It feels like an inflatable lumbar air cushion was placed in the seat but it cannot be deflated. Am I going crazy?
Does the control on the side of the seat not do anything?

What is the impact of the ECU failure?

Thanks for sharing. What was the error message (if any) or the problem you noticed for this failure?
The error message was: "Chart port error detected - Service is required. AC charging may not function / OK to supercharge"
And that was exactly the impact, supercharging was fine however was unable to charge at home.

Have the initial issues with QC on the refreshed X's gotten better? How's the overall build quality? What about the recent yoke issues, I read they are being replaced under warranty but did tesla fix the issue with the replaced yokes and get better material? I went to see the model S plaid in the showroom and the steering there had the same issue.

My parents have an X on order with EDD of Nov-Dec. They have always had german suv's but were convinced to give tesla a try. Would hate to have to hear about all the issues right after taking delivery on a 100k+ car.

I personally love my M3 and MY, but im more of a tesla fanboy willing to look past those issues because of the overall experience.

Have the initial issues with QC on the refreshed X's gotten better? How's the overall build quality? What about the recent yoke issues, I read they are being replaced under warranty but did tesla fix the issue with the replaced yokes and get better material? I went to see the model S plaid in the showroom and the steering there had the same issue.

My parents have an X on order with EDD of Nov-Dec. They have always had german suv's but were convinced to give tesla a try. Would hate to have to hear about all the issues right after taking delivery on a 100k+ car.

I personally love my M3 and MY, but im more of a tesla fanboy willing to look past those issues because of the overall experience.
A Tesla is not a German car, period. It is, however, the best damned electric sedan/SUV you can buy. You have to take the fit/finish, delivery, and service with a grain of salt. Perhaps change the language in the car to Deutsch when they get the car delivered?

I did finally get the tailgate paint imperfections repaired. Looks perfect now, happy with the results. Still need to get the passenger side falcon wing door looked at next Friday. It occasionally does not open all the way and it appears to be from the way the rubber weatherstripping hits the roof when fully open. It also rests slightly different when closed, may need to be aligned better.

Reactions: BonB
Delivered 12/03/2021
MXLR Blue/Black/20”/6 Seater/No FSD

1. Missing trunk tray.
2. Stains on chairs and panels.
3. Driver side window stops going up as if gets stuck.
4. Passenger side FWD doesn’t close. Thinks something is in the way. I can see the red sensor flashing on the display like something is outside the door.
5 looks like clear coat drops on the driver side rear window.
6. Panel carpet in rear truck not assembled correctly. Completely missed the holes.
7. Clunk sound from front and rear passenger side suspension on uneven surfaces.
8. Driver side FWD panel rubbing paint off body of car.
9. Wipers leaving streaks of I wiped rain.
10. Creaking sounds on uneven surfaces. Probably the FWD and the body.
11. Probably more that is not known…

It’s brand new!!! Needless to say, disappointed and would not recommend Tesla to anyone. Seems like they are taking advantage of buyers with touchless pick up.
Our expected delivery is November 27 - January 1st. I cant believe Tesla would deliver their flagship (at least most expensive) vehicle in that condition. I'm terrified now but not a "world ender" if they repair everything (quickly)...

I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but here is a video clip (turn the sound on) where you can hear the noise my MCU makes constantly. It sounds like a fan or buzzing noise. AC is not on, and it will make this noise even as the car is rebooting. Does anyone else have this sound?

Yes, mine has this. Did you ever get it fixed were they receptive to your request?