Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X refresh to sell or not to sell?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK. I ordered a Model X right when it was announced. It will be my 5th Tesla. I was given a delivery timeline of March 2021. That was perfect for me as we were about to spend the summer at our second home in Colorado where I needed the car for. Obviously that did not happen. So I went out and bought a 2017 Model X P100D with ludicrous mode, full self driving and free supercharging for life of the car. So really a perfect car.

Now I still have my reservation for the refreshed Model X. Expected delivery in February 2022. Blue 100D, 5 seater, FSD, white interior, regular rims. Now I am left with a decision. Keep my current P100DL and sell the updated X or the other way around. Obviously the prices of the revised Model X have increased quite a bit since I ordered it. And the interior of the P100DL really needs a do over as the seats were quite damaged when I bought it.

I guess I would need to take delivery and pay sales tax and then turn around and sell the car. Any opinion which way I should lean? What would be the best way to sell the new Model X?
I have a feeling it would be much easier to sell the new one than the 2017 one. And being from out of the country easy is preferred. I switch my view on all of this like twice a day.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat, except my "old" X is a 2021 Raven LR with 12k miles. I actually think the "old" X will be easier to sell. Current asking prices for my old X are around what I will pay (including taxes) for the new X. I think demand for wheel is broader than demand for yoke and I think the rear screen is seen as a disadvantage by some with kids (again, broader demand for old model). I'll also enjoy having the 1Y of full warranty from Tesla, again, and the free connectivity. So I plan to keep the new one.

BUT. I will list both vehicles on Cars.com and will ultimately make the choice that has the best economics, since really, both cars are new.

What a great problem to have!

Undeniably used car prices are off the charts. But the same must be true for new cars. There is no reason for the spread between new and old to narrow. So somebody having a new car in his possession has the same value proposition to a buyer as if he had a used car. If you want a car you have to pay. The only difference is that with new cars there is a time for money trade that you do not have with used cars.
In this case if you are willing to wait a year you can have a new Model X. So what's that year worth. Probably just as much as it is worth to buy a used car over its historically fair price.
So it does not help in my predicament. The used and the new car will both sell at a premium.

Undeniably used car prices are off the charts. But the same must be true for new cars. There is no reason for the spread between new and old to narrow. So somebody having a new car in his possession has the same value proposition to a buyer as if he had a used car. If you want a car you have to pay. The only difference is that with new cars there is a time for money trade that you do not have with used cars.
In this case if you are willing to wait a year you can have a new Model X. So what's that year worth. Probably just as much as it is worth to buy a used car over its historically fair price.
So it does not help in my predicament. The used and the new car will both sell at a premium.
Your used car will likely sell well and at a high price perhaps without having to fix up the interior too much. Once more cars ship there will be more comparable used cars available and buyers can be pickier and/or drive a harder bargain.

OK. I ordered a Model X right when it was announced. It will be my 5th Tesla. I was given a delivery timeline of March 2021. That was perfect for me as we were about to spend the summer at our second home in Colorado where I needed the car for. Obviously that did not happen. So I went out and bought a 2017 Model X P100D with ludicrous mode, full self driving and free supercharging for life of the car. So really a perfect car.

Now I still have my reservation for the refreshed Model X. Expected delivery in February 2022. Blue 100D, 5 seater, FSD, white interior, regular rims. Now I am left with a decision. Keep my current P100DL and sell the updated X or the other way around. Obviously the prices of the revised Model X have increased quite a bit since I ordered it. And the interior of the P100DL really needs a do over as the seats were quite damaged when I bought it.

I guess I would need to take delivery and pay sales tax and then turn around and sell the car. Any opinion which way I should lean? What would be the best way to sell the new Model X?
I have a feeling it would be much easier to sell the new one than the 2017 one. And being from out of the country easy is preferred. I switch my view on all of this like twice a day.
I had the same problem. Here is what I did if it helps.
I ordered my refresh X in February 2021.
Got tired of my 2020 Mercedes GLS 450 just before the gas prices went up and the dealer bought out my lease to get it back. Since still no delivery on the refresh X I bought a CPO 2019 Model X to drive until the new one came and it was such a great car. Then I went through months of the same questions as you are having- keep the old one or get the new one. All complicated by the rumors of new matrix headlights, batteries etc.
Then I noticed that some of the software updates did not include features for the 2019 X that the refresh X did get. So being a techie decided it would be better to have the new one. And it would be worth more when I trade it for a newer one some day. Do not regret my decision especially since I got the sales tax credit back from the state. And the new one is so much better a vehicle and I LOVE the 6- seat “space ship” arrangement.

I have read several times where people were in the same boat. Waited so long for their 'refresh' that they made other plans and when their new MX came in they sold it. Then they received a letter from Tesla stating they had violated the terms of the contract with Tesla and are now given a life time ban to purchase future Tesla's and the letter stated the decision is final and cannot be appealed.

I had the same problem. Here is what I did if it helps.
I ordered my refresh X in February 2021.
Got tired of my 2020 Mercedes GLS 450 just before the gas prices went up and the dealer bought out my lease to get it back. Since still no delivery on the refresh X I bought a CPO 2019 Model X to drive until the new one came and it was such a great car. Then I went through months of the same questions as you are having- keep the old one or get the new one. All complicated by the rumors of new matrix headlights, batteries etc.
Then I noticed that some of the software updates did not include features for the 2019 X that the refresh X did get. So being a techie decided it would be better to have the new one. And it would be worth more when I trade it for a newer one some day. Do not regret my decision especially since I got the sales tax credit back from the state. And the new one is so much better a vehicle and I LOVE the 6- seat “space ship” arrangement.
What’s better about the car? I was thinking I invest the $30k I will make on the sale of the new car into the old one and really have a nice one with new seats. A new wrap. Probably new steering wheel etc etc.