Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Regen seems very weak?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

We just took delivery two days ago of our used 2018 MX 75D. I have been driving our Nissan LEAF a lot and love the regen on that car. True one pedal driving, with strong regen.

The regen on the X is...well, weak. I almost never, maybe 5% of the time, have to use the brakes on the LEAF, but almost 100% of the time in the X to bring it to a stop.

It also doesn't hold psoition and will roll backwards sometimes. I feel like something is not right, but I only have two days experience in the X, so hoping to get some feedback from the community.

Creep is OFF, BTW.

Thanks in advance.

Off was relabeled roll when they introduced hold mode. Your car must be too old for hold mode and I guess they left the old labels on older cars (unfortunate because roll is much more descriptive).

In any case, you are in roll mode. At low speeds you are essentially in neutral. It will never come to a full stop and it will roll backwards if you are on a hill.

Last edited:
I don't think it has anything to do with that. There are two settings for regen, I'm not at my vehicle now so I can't remember them. But one is low and one is hi! Pretty simple. Find the regen setting, which I thought was in driving also, and set it to the higher amount you should be fine.

I don't think it has anything to do with that. There are two settings for regen, I'm not at my vehicle now so I can't remember them. But one is low and one is hi! Pretty simple. Find the regen setting, which I thought was in driving also, and set it to the higher amount you should be fine.

good point, that is another setting to check to ensure max regen, but will not ultimately give the outcome the OP is after which is the regen to full stop and hold (if I understood them correctly). that behavior is selectable in the “stopping mode” options where it is available as “hold” setting in raven MX models with the permanent magnet motor. In pre-raven (earlier than early 2019?) the hold option does not exist because the older hardware (motor) cannot support it. At least that is what I have deduced from various threads on the topic and can confirm that on my 2020 MX LR+ I do have the 3 options in the stopping mode and “hold” does exactly what is being discussed.

the rolling in upgrades, features, etc at any point in a model year approach that Tesla takes definitely makes it tough to keep track of what you are getting! Thank goodness for the Internet now though, so many resources to help sort through it all!

Hi all,

We just took delivery two days ago of our used 2018 MX 75D. I have been driving our Nissan LEAF a lot and love the regen on that car. True one pedal driving, with strong regen.

The regen on the X is...well, weak. I almost never, maybe 5% of the time, have to use the brakes on the LEAF, but almost 100% of the time in the X to bring it to a stop.

It also doesn't hold psoition and will roll backwards sometimes. I feel like something is not right, but I only have two days experience in the X, so hoping to get some feedback from the community.
Creep is OFF, BTW.
Thanks in advance.

That is exactly how the 2018 is supposed to operate. Regen (on Standard) is adequate, but it goes away completely below roughly 5 mph. The cars that have a permanent magnet front motor, can provide regen down to 0 mph, thus can offer one pedal driving. That motor began to appear in late 2019 (“Raven”) models. It cannot be added to earlier models. You will need to operate the brake to come to a complete stop. “Hill Hold” will prevent the car from rolling after a full stop. However it is not difficult to de-activate Hill Hold, depending upon how you come off the brake when stopping.

An interesting side note, I had failure of a “speed sensor” a few weeks ago, which among other things, caused there to be NO regen at all. It was quite interesting driving when that happened. Like riding a lead sled. It just felt like the car was under power. A little scary.

Given the Service Centers are operating under Covid no contact protocols, you will not be able to get any face time with a service advisor or tech. If this is the only reason you set an appointment, it will be a waste of your time. You can find information on both features in the owners manual.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Taoweiji
Well, F@kk . Is this something a software update can remedy? I’d be super pissed if this $70k Tesla can’t stop but the LEAF can.

I totally understand your disappointment, it is all due to Tesla's crappy policies around used cars. If you had test driven the car before purchase you would not be in this situation. Too bad Tesla will not allow you to test drive their used cars.

Insisting that used car purchases test drive new cars, with different features and different driving characteristics is just setting people up for disappointment.

Thanks, all. I'm pissed and disappointed. Both in the underhanded way they do their used car sales, and the fact that a $70k car doesn't have regen to 0mph when a Nissan LEAF 1/2 the price has it.

I guess in 5 years when I buy a used MX or MY, I'll confirm the car has that feature beforehand.

Oh yeah, don't get me started on the seats either :-(

• Funny
Reactions: GasNah
I've never understood the argument "I can't believe a $70K car doesn't do what at $30K car can do". Price has nothing to do with features. Only recently Tesla switched to using permanent magnet motors that can allow for regen down to 0 MPH. If you purchased a used car you should have researched what options and features were available on the car you were looking to purchase. You should have also sat in the seats and test drove the car before handing over the final check.

• Helpful
Reactions: X-pilot
I've never understood the argument "I can't believe a $70K car doesn't do what at $30K car can do". Price has nothing to do with features. Only recently Tesla switched to using permanent magnet motors that can allow for regen down to 0 MPH. If you purchased a used car you should have researched what options and features were available on the car you were looking to purchase. You should have also sat in the seats and test drove the car before handing over the final check.

And how, pray tell, am I supposed to do all that when they won't let you drive the bloody car before you buy it? We did research the features, but since our little LEAF can do it, why would I think the might Tesla Model X cannot?

Price has everything to do with features. Go compare a used $55K MX with a new $100K plus one, and tell me price doesn't have anything to do with features.

I totally agree - but short of breaking into the lot after hours, that isn't possible. Tesla won't let you see the car until after they have their money.

Yeah, we asked. Both reps for both instances when we were at the dealership to accept the first MX *which we refused due to damage) and when we picked up the second one.

They will gladly let you drive a brand spanking new 2020 MX, but that's not the same thing. I have previously test driven a used 2016? MX P100D, at a used car dealership. Those seats were fine, but different model year = different seats apparently.

Thanks, all. I'm pissed and disappointed. Both in the underhanded way they do their used car sales, and the fact that a $70k car doesn't have regen to 0mph when a Nissan LEAF 1/2 the price has it.

I guess in 5 years when I buy a used MX or MY, I'll confirm the car has that feature beforehand.

Oh yeah, don't get me started on the seats either :-(

I don't think the Nissan leaf does region to a stop. It uses the mechanical brakes for the last part. Tesla chose not to do that in the early cars, I rather like it. But, to each their own!