Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Regeneration not linear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please look at this 11 second poor quality video I made of my Model X as I fully back off on the accelerator and get full regeneration.

Notice is starts at about -50kw and then as it smoothly approaches -25kw it takes a small jump in the opposite direction and then resumes it's progress to zero.

Do other folks Model X's do this? Just seems kind of strange. Do Model S's do the same thing?

Ron

I noticed the regen isn't linear during my test drive simply from the way the car behaves (how fast it brakes). At first I thought the regen on the X was less aggressive than on our Kia Soul EV, but I think it's simply the way it does it to give you a smoother experience.

//TB

Please look at this 11 second poor quality video I made of my Model X as I fully back off on the accelerator and get full regeneration.

Notice is starts at about -50kw and then as it smoothly approaches -25kw it takes a small jump in the opposite direction and then resumes it's progress to zero.

Do other folks Model X's do this? Just seems kind of strange. Do Model S's do the same thing?

Ron

After reading your post, I was doing some errands and watched regen rate on the energy meter of my MS 70. Sure enough, it started at a bout 50 kW, smoothly and gradually decreased to about 25 kW, when it took a little jump and then decreased smoothly again. I tried it three times with same results.

I wonder if the firmware increases regen at that point in order to maximize braking power at slower shaft rpms?

It's possible that they couldn't find one algorithm to handle the complete range of speeds smoothly, so they took 2 different algorithms (one high speed, one low speed) and the point at which they switch over is where you see that little bump. Totally guessing here, but it seems plausible to me.