Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X regret (taxes)?

From what I understand both Model S and X are eligible for the $7500 tax credit. One advantage the Model X has is that the full cost amount can be deducted in the first year on your tax return since it weighs over 6,000 pounds whereas only 30% of the Model S can be deducted. Do I have that right? Can the other 70% be amortized (?) deducted over future years? If that is the case then I am fine with that. If anyone familiar with the tax codes / tax laws that could chime in that would be great.

Also would it be possible or a huge mistake to try to trade-in my Model S for a Model X (only 1 month old and 300 miles)?
 
Explain. If I buy a Model S and a Model X, I would be eligible for two $7500 tax credits.
Yes but to a new buyer that choses between a 100mi car and a brand new one, if they are eligible for the new tax credit, your car is $7500 more expensive after tax, so the price of the 100mi car has to adjust accordingly.

If you are eligible for $15000 in tax credits you might be sell the 100mi car to a third party who is not tax credit eligible (like a retiree) for less than the $7500 loss but as you wont be trading in the car you pay full sales tax on two new cars.
 
Last edited:
So the $1 per mile and $1k / month is not true?

Tesla can sell their inventory cars at whatever price they like.

Leaving out the $7500 tax credit...

If you post a $80k car for sale $78,700... Not many people are going to pick that over a new car that they get to select all the options.

Also, a new car buyer typically pays sales tax. Amount determined by your jurisdiction. So that money is lost. The person purchasing the used car would also typically pay sales tax.
 
Yes but to a new buyer that choses between a 100mi car and a brand new one, if they are eligible for the new tax credit, your car is $7500 more expensive after tax, so the price of the 100mi car has to adjust accordingly.

If you are eligible for $15000 in tax credits you might be sell the 100mi car to a third party who is not tax credit eligible (like a retiree) for less than the $7500 loss but as you wont be trading in the car you pay full sales tax on two new cars.
Trade-In does not mean sell to 3rd party.

Trade-In means sell back to the Tesla dealership, so not sure why you are bringing up CPO/3rd party deals.
 
Trade-In does not mean sell to 3rd party.

Trade-In means sell back to the Tesla dealership, so not sure why you are bringing up CPO/3rd party deals.
Because when you trade it back in, Tesla has to sell it as a CPO.

So far nobody has responded to my question about Model S depreciation over multiple years.

You haven't been clear. But yes, in *most cases* a business can depreciate an asset over several years. The heavier vehicle falls in a special category that allows accelerated depreciation. As with most tax advice, your best to discuss with someone that is familiar with your particular situation.
 
Trade-In does not mean sell to 3rd party.

Trade-In means sell back to the Tesla dealership, so not sure why you are bringing up CPO/3rd party deals.
I am clear on what trade in means. If you trade the car you will likely lose more car value, but you don't pay the full sales tax on the second purchase. You only pay sales tax on the difference between your trade in value and the second car purchase price. If you sell to a third party you pay the sales tax twice, in states that charge sales tax.
 
I am clear on what trade in means. If you trade the car you will likely lose more car value, but you don't pay the full sales tax on the second purchase. You only pay sales tax on the difference between your trade in value and the second car purchase price. If you sell to a third party you pay the sales tax twice, in states that charge sales tax.
Good point. Nevada does reduce the new car registration tax by the trade in value. So the tax hit isn’t as bad as I was thinking if traded in. Still, Tesla would have to sell as a CPO.