Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X reliability...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is going to be an unpopular take, but I’ve had more issues with my Tesla’s than any other car I’ve owned.

I’d also say repairs and not maintenance. But it’s the technology, not the drivetrain. Keep in mind there’s mitigating factors. You asked me if I still own one, and I said yes. Here’s why...with the miles I drive here are the places where I make it up.

1) One to two oil changes per month. Average of $80-$150 each time depending on car and using fully synthetic.

2) Differential and transmission fluid change once a year at $300

3) Brake pad replacement once a year at $80

Those three things alone total roughly 18 dealer visits a year at a cost of about $3,000/year per car.

I visit the Tesla dealer less than 18 times a year across all three cars and am currently averaging $1200/year per car in repairs. That includes tires, alignments, cracked windshield repairs - things that aren’t unique to Tesla.

So if you continue budgeting (time&money) for oil changes; in general you’ll keep that budget for a Tesla. It just won’t be as scheduled and routine as you’re used to with an oil change.

Appreciate your honest view. You have/had 3 Tesla's, so there's good credibility. Your take, along with the link @cwerdna posted from Edmunds, seem to mirror that of Consumer Reports reliability rating.

As of the new year, I drive roughly 1,100 miles per month in a 11 year old Lexus SUV that gets 13-15mpg depending on summer or winter gas blend. I'm guessing repairs/maintenance are going to average $3-4k/year due to it being a 10+ year old ICE vehicle and at this point of the auto's life, maintenance costs add up quickly: Oil change every 5,000 miles, front brake pads and rotors/rear need replacement more often due to it being a 6,000lb SUV. In addition the Lexus needs front and rear differential/transmission oil changes/repairs, power steering rebuilds, etc... If I factor in gas, it's going to get scary.

If your budget for your X is $1200 year, not including gas, that doesn't seem too bad. How does the X yearly maintenance costs compare to the S or 3 AWD?

This is going to be an unpopular take, but I’ve had more issues with my Tesla’s than any other car I’ve owned.

I’d also say repairs and not maintenance. But it’s the technology, not the drivetrain. Keep in mind there’s mitigating factors. You asked me if I still own one, and I said yes. Here’s why...with the miles I drive here are the places where I make it up.

1) One to two oil changes per month. Average of $80-$150 each time depending on car and using fully synthetic.

Those three things alone total roughly 18 dealer visits a year at a cost of about $3,000/year per car.

I visit the Tesla dealer less than 18 times a year across all three cars and am currently averaging $1200/year per car in repairs. That includes tires, alignments, cracked windshield repairs - things that aren’t unique to Tesla.

So if you continue budgeting (time&money) for oil changes; in general you’ll keep that budget for a Tesla. It just won’t be as scheduled and routine as you’re used to with an oil change.
You change your diff fluid once a year??

Oil changes and brake pad replacements? Sounds like your mechanic is talking you to the cleaners.

You change your diff fluid once a year??

Yup, most don't I do. Diff and transfer cases on AWD cars. I used to do it myself but I've gotten older. You'd be surprised at the metal flakes and how quickly the fluid turns. They're typically the cost of an oil change if you do a dump and fill. They're more expensive if you actually want to flush. At my peak I was driving 6,000-7,000 miles a month. So a year is roughly 75,000 miles or so. Little things like this goes a long way as to whether a car lasts 300,000 problem free miles or not.

Oil changes and brake pad replacements? Sounds like your mechanic is talking you to the cleaners.

Kind of a snarky comment when you don't really know the specifics don't you think?

A Porsche Panemera takes 10 quarts of oil. At $30 for 5 quarts, that's $60 in Mobil 1 Full Synthetic alone. Add on a OEM filter, o-ring, for $20. Then take into account proper disposal of the oil at the recycling center for another $5 and that's $85 when I'm my own mechanic - though Walmart usually has sales. My independent charges me slightly more but far less for when I get lazy but far less than the $450/change rate from a Porsche dealer.

OEM pads typically run $250 PER SET on the Panemera for parts alone. I used to grab Hawk pads when they went on sale and did the work myself. You can certainly go to pep boys as well, but the cheapest pads there for the Panemera still ran $50. That's also assuming you checked the pad depth manually and replaced it when necessary instead of relying on the brake pad wear sensor. Because once that gets tripped, you have to replace it.

Appreciate your honest view. You have/had 3 Tesla's, so there's good credibility. Your take, along with the link @cwerdna posted from Edmunds, seem to mirror that of Consumer Reports reliability rating.

As of the new year, I drive roughly 1,100 miles per month in a 11 year old Lexus SUV that gets 13-15mpg depending on summer or winter gas blend. I'm guessing repairs/maintenance are going to average $3-4k/year due to it being a 10+ year old ICE vehicle and at this point of the auto's life, maintenance costs add up quickly: Oil change every 5,000 miles, front brake pads and rotors/rear need replacement more often due to it being a 6,000lb SUV. In addition the Lexus needs front and rear differential/transmission oil changes/repairs, power steering rebuilds, etc... If I factor in gas, it's going to get scary.

If your budget for your X is $1200 year, not including gas, that doesn't seem too bad. How does the X yearly maintenance costs compare to the S or 3 AWD?

I haven't had a 3, so I can't make an educated comment on that one. The S and X have been the same in terms of pure maintenance. Get out your pen and paper, here's what you'll need...alignments and tires.

That's about it. You'll wear through tires faster than say a Lexus GX; but that's because you're not tossing that 6500lb SUV around like it's a 3500lb Ford Mustang. With the MX, you forget you're driving a 6000lb SUV and you toss it around. That takes a toll on the tires as they try to hold on for dear life. If you've driven a performance SUV - X5M, X6M, MB AMG, the X or even a heavier performance sedan ie, Audi S7, wears through the tires at about the same rate.

My experience buying a used Tesla off their website was very good. The car was exactly as shown/advertised...actually a tad better. I got premium connectivity for life and the tow package at no extra cost. The car is great looking, super fast, and so far, very reliable...other than the need to reboot the car every now and then to clear out stray electrons. The autopilot and summon works as advertised. FWDs open and do not hit things that are in the way, such as when I open them in my garage. 2016 MX P100D.

You guys forget that Tesla doesn't really align their cars out of teh factory, you will probably wear the tires out quicker....

I get mine aligned every year. Quicker is relative too as I was careful to note. If you're coming from a 170hp Subaru, the stock all season tires will last 75,000 miles. On a Vette, the PS2s last only about 20k maybe 25k miles.

For a used Model X (or even the S and 3 for comparison) how much should one budget for annual maintenance and repairs?

I'd ask how old and how many miles about? But even that isn't a great indicator. Two of my cars are built within a month of each other and have been drastically different in repairs. I'm budgeting $1200/year per car.

Although on one of them right now, that might not do it the new problem child keeps on giving with two new messages "GPS Antenna Disconnected" and "Unable to confirm the hood latch is closed" (It is). The other is still problem free...

One month into ownership of a used 2016 P90D and we got our first issue besides the acceleration shudder. When you roll the front windows down above 55 mph they won't roll all the way up. I could see the driver window start to separate from the door so I pulled over and rolled them up from a stop. The crappy part is I live 150 miles from closest service center and they wont do the mobile tech to my address. They only have availability mon-fri from 9am to 12:30pm and we work weekdays and can only make the drive on weekends. Not sure what to do.

One month into ownership of a used 2016 P90D and we got our first issue besides the acceleration shudder. When you roll the front windows down above 55 mph they won't roll all the way up. I could see the driver window start to separate from the door so I pulled over and rolled them up from a stop. The crappy part is I live 150 miles from closest service center and they wont do the mobile tech to my address. They only have availability mon-fri from 9am to 12:30pm and we work weekdays and can only make the drive on weekends. Not sure what to do.

Sounds like you need a window alignment...yes that exists. Never had to do one before owning a Tesla. did they say why they won’t send mobile? They usually do.

• Helpful
Reactions: E Dizzle
Sounds like you need a window alignment...yes that exists. Never had to do one before owning a Tesla. did they say why they won’t send mobile? They usually do.

I tried to select the mobile option and they asked for my address. After I put in my address it said I had to choose a service center and the closest was 150 miles away. I also tried to get Tesla solar on our house and they said they don't install in my area. I live in the largest city in northern Arizona so it's not like I'm way out in the boonies. Is there another way to select the mobile service?