Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X repair - part delay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

in a rather disastrous turn of events my 2020 Model X performance has had the rear end caved in by someone at a roundabout.

the repairs have been approved but have been advised the the parts need to be imported from EU/USA.

has anyone any idea how long parts take to be sent ?

I’m moderately staggered given how many Teslas there now are in the UK that there isn’t a UK stockist. Thinking about the damage I’d say it needs a rear tailgate, bumper, light clusters etc

cheers

Rob

Sorry to hear.

I think the supply chain of parts to UK is definitely a weak link. I think they need to come from the Nederlands, and if they don't have it, the US. Nederlands seem quite quick, day or so, but if they don't have it, its a different story.

No idea of stock levels kept, but we recently needed some glass to be replaced and the planned service visit could not undertake the work at that time due to something out of stock. Seems like they only order parts just in time, so even though this service appointment had been scheduled for nearly 5 months, they still didn't manage to order parts in a timely manner. They had no idea when it would come back in so gave the car back until the work could be completed during another visit a month or so later. I dread to think how long we would have been out of action if it was a major glass issue.

Alas seems not to be confined to Tesla. As my Fiat was still under warranty, I wanted its first MOT done at same time as a dealer 'service' (no idea what they looked at but certainly not anything important like brakes or windscreen wipers). Anyhow, the car failed its MOT on 2 counts - brakes and windscreen wiper. The dealership refused to give our car back to us until they had rectified the work unless we signed a disclaimer written in unicorn blood. So I let them keep hold of it thinking, windscreen wiper, no problem, should be all sorted next working day (Monday). Nope, even though I popped in to Halfords on way home and collected a windscreen wiper (cheaper and better) there and then, they insisted on only fitting their own which were out of stock and expected in the following Friday - thankfully it arrived a few days early, but 5 days to get a consumable item like a windscreen wiper, wtf. Will never buy another Fiat because of the dealer and same is now true of Tesla unless things improve.

Been in for two months now ! Apparently just discovered it needs a new chassis leg! It’s just been ordered but is on back order - could be months more - completely unacceptable
2 months is shocking and I dare say pessimistically but realistically you could still be sans car for another 2....

My most recent repair (there have too many for my liking for a car not yet 3 years old)...I’ve been waiting about 5 weeks for simple parts so my drivers side door will openable from be outside. Given they can’t even tell if parts have been despatched means I will probably be waiting at least another month.

Tesla really need to sort their parts supply, quality control and Service Centre experience out pronto now that M3 are arriving en masse.

Reactions: MrBadger
I wonder if its a poorly thought through implementation of just in time parts ordering that seems to becoming common in many motoring areas.

My (non Tesla) car was in for a 'service'/MOT with a main dealership as it was still under warranty - otherwise I would have used my independent chap. The car failed the MOT on passenger wise windscreen wiper coverage - personally I didn't see anything wrong with it that a wipe of the blade with a cloth wouldn't have fixed. This and a brake fix that was sorted in a few days resulted in the dealership keeping my car for best part of a week waiting for a new wiper blade even though I picked up one at Halfords the same day - dealership refused to fit after market Bosch one.

Certainly my independent chap for more common vehicles diagnoses issues in the morning and parts delivered and fitted in the afternoon. Clearly not having parts readily available in UK or even Tilberg with a few days delay is leading to very long lead times. I had a part ordered after a Nov appt, that was postponed to Jan then again to Feb and had it not have been for Covid, March. Ironically by the time the appt actually happened in May, they were still missing parts to complete the job so it had to go back again in Jul.

Last edited:
4 months next week ! Bonkers
Pretty shocking mate. Really sorry to hear that. I trust you have other transportation and you're not totally high and dry by this.

I bought my MX knowing the ownership experience was going to be a bit 'experimental' and I have kept a reasonably open mind throughout, and have given T the benefit of the doubt (and the benefit of a large wedge of our hard earned). However weighing up all the pros and cons, I would say this will be my last Tesla.

There is simply too much promissory value in the products and although there are some very good, cool and funky things about the the brand and its products, there is also a helluva a lot of things that can and must improve (vastly)....there is quite a lot off frankly bullshit too.

I'll sweat the MX for as long as I see fit, but I think I've done my experimenting, and I probably wont be replacing it.