Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Replacement for Mercedes-Benz GL550

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, alphainfinity!

Excellent points, which we will consider before trading. We are concerned that a Tesla Model X won't have the same quality 'reminders' as our 2015 GL 550, e.g., ride quality, absence of wind and road noise, fit and finish, but especially what you describe as "the endless power" of the bi-turbo V8. On the other hand ... our driving has declined to about 7,000 miles per year and we don't have the driving opportunities you have in Montana. Are your interstates still unrestricted?

We also will lose our specific advantage of a local M-B dealership that always has loaners as we are a one-car family. Not that we want to spend time at a dealership for service and at 7,000 miles per year it only needs to go in annually. No idea at this point who or where to service a Tesla, but once we take a test drive we'll know.

Montana is now speed limited to 80MPH on our highways. Ultimately, we decided to jump on the EV bandwagon because of cost of ownership and our desire to do our part to reduce emissions and buy energy from a local source(hydropower). Mercedes doesn't have a viable option yet and is still probably a few years away from producing a real competitor to Tesla. We looked at other brands like Audi and were not impressed with the Etron. The build quality was better but the car was NOT fun to drive and did not have autopilot capability, OTA firmware updates, all the stuff that makes Tesla a Tesla.

I had a 15 S550 which is by far the finest mass produced sedan in the world. Incredibly comfortable seats, world class sound system and the quietest ride I have ever experienced. My wife really liked her GLS. We may go back to Mercedes someday, but for now we are really enjoying our Model X raven despite the imperfections. I love being able to plugin and not be subjected to geopolitical market forces that raise and lower my gas prices on a whim.

Two last things to note, the Model X does have a GVRW to qualify for the section 179 tax depreciation. This was important to us for the write off. I also did extensive research on the safety of the vehicle and the Model X is currently one of the, if not THE safest in the world. The low center of gravity puts it above other SUV's in the rollover crash testing.

We have already "written-off" the M-B EQC. We have had several GLCs as loaners ... most recently a 2020 with less than 500 miles. It is at least "one size too small" for us, there are too many compromises in comfort, ride quality and conveniences. Electrifying a GLC and rebadging it as a EQC won't make much difference.

We might consider an "electrified GLE" but it would still be just that rather than an electric vehicle from conception as the Tesla is. We don't expect nor need an "electrified GLS" ... our GL550 is too big and too cumbersome, the 2020 GLS will be several inches larger, plus we will soon be moving into a smaller home with only a one-car garage so we need to also downsize our car.

P.S. Sorry about your speed limit. Our last visit to Montana was in the Spring of 1996 when they were unlimited ... too bad we had a rental SUV!