Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - Replacing 20" with 22" Turbine Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can somebody make some aero wheel caps for us model x owners. Desperately deed that
I’d like to see this too, though I bet the percentage impact is much less than M3 due to overall drag and weight. I’d be curious to see what 19 inch tires would get compared to 20. Some people run 19s with snow tires, but you can’t compare efficiency with one set in winter and the other in summer.

Range drop going from 20s to 22s is not that bad at all, no where near 28%. At most your see 10% on short urban trips, long trips 5% and less.

I'm saw virtually identical consumption on my 75D running 22s and a loaner 100D running 20s over the same 10 mile stretch of road in identical weather, with AP set to 85mph.

46621745685_d89435a945_z_d.jpg

32594820677_2a2e069ee8_z_d.jpg

Just yesterday I did 94 miles in our 75D X with 22s. Travelling at 10% above speed limit where possible, beat estimated arrival time by about 10 minutes, consumption was bang on what the car predicted.

Last 2500 miles consumption on 22s is barely 5% above average figures for the previous 20,000 miles done with 20s, at 380Wh/miles, versus 360Wh/miles over similar distance in similar weather last year.

Oh tyres on both wheels are Tesla OEM.

3000 miles on 20s.

32359923278_5feb167622_z_d.jpg

2500 miles on 22s.

33897278288_87d7c95692_z_d.jpg

I appreciate all the information on this, I'm planning a road-trip next month and was worried on getting 22" on a 75D. 5-10% is reasonable as I always have extra space when I get to a supercharger.

Driving speed and wind will kill more range ...however i still think you will lose more than 5-10 on 22s;)

You can think that, but I have actual real life data that shows that even 10% range drop is way over estimatation.

Changing to 22s have had so little impact on range of our 75D X am now considering selling the spare 20s I have sitting in the shed.

Plan was to use 20s in winter when range matters more, but my experience on 22s so far have been great. By the end of this month I will have covered well over 3k on 22s, likely close to 3.5k, really love how they look, so much better than 20s.

Reactions: Solidred
You can think that, but I have actual real life data that shows that even 10% range drop is way over estimatation.

Changing to 22s have had so little impact on range of our 75D X am now considering selling the spare 20s I have sitting in the shed.

Plan was to use 20s in winter when range matters more, but my experience on 22s so far have been great. By the end of this month I will have covered well over 3k on 22s, likely close to 3.5k, really love how they look, so much better than 20s.

Agreed -- it's not just the larger tires. It's a combination of factors. I think in my case it's my lead foot! I really can't tool around at 65mph when the flow of traffic is going much faster. I average between 80 to 85mph on the highway, and have noticed a huge difference in energy consumption vs. driving at a steady 65mph. Again, I'm not complaining; I expected this. The thrill of moving quickly down the road comes at a cost (expending energy more rapidly). But what a thrill :D

Driving speed and wind will kill more range ...however i still think you will lose more than 5-10 on 22s;)

Had 'ideal' driving conditions in the UK today, flowing traffic, not too hot/cold, family asleep for 90% of the trip, so set the speed to 60-65mph rather than 70-75mph which is the UK limit.

Overall consumption was just over 300Wh/mile, on 20s I recon I would have sneaked in under 300Wh/mile, so 5% worse consumption at most.

The average speed is low, but sadly thats the realities of UK driving, Google Maps predictions for the same trip showed extra time added taken by going below the speed limit was only about 5 minutes over a 2hr+ trip.

Oh I also beat the trip advisors arrival SOC by 14%, 100-0% trip range in same conditions would be 220 miles equating to roughly 4hrs of non stop driving. No bad for the least efficient car Tesla sold combined with massive 22inch wheels :).

40866070613_5727d4a6c2_z_d.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
Had 'ideal' driving conditions in the UK today, flowing traffic, not too hot/cold, family asleep for 90% of the trip, so set the speed to 60-65mph rather than 70-75mph which is the UK limit.

Overall consumption was just over 300Wh/mile, on 20s I recon I would have sneaked in under 300Wh/mile, so 5% worse consumption at most.

The average speed is low, but sadly thats the realities of UK driving, Google Maps predictions for the same trip showed extra time added taken by going below the speed limit was only about 5 minutes over a 2hr+ trip.

Oh I also beat the trip advisors arrival SOC by 14%, 100-0% trip range in same conditions would be 220 miles equating to roughly 4hrs of non stop driving. No bad for the least efficient car Tesla sold combined with massive 22inch wheels :).

40866070613_5727d4a6c2_z_d.jpg

I can probably do that as well but I refuse to drive Under 75mph :eek:

Reactions: BryWay
New to the whole Tesla wheel-tire thing.

Are the tires and wheels in the "Model X 22" Turbine Wheel and Pirelli Scorpion Tire Package" in onyx black (sold online at the Tesla-USA Model X Shop site for $6,800 [parts, shipping, installation]) the same tres and wheels making up the "22-inch Onyx Black Wheels" option offered for an additional $5,500 when "building" a pre-refresh USA Model X (say from 2020)? You also see the "22-inch Onyx Black Wheels" description on the Tesla Inventory pages. Just want to make sure they are the same thing.

What is the TPMS will auto sync to the car? This was mentioned in a post where 20" Model X wheels were swapped to 22" wheels.
I had heard that there is some type of 'chip' in the TESLA rims

I am new to this topic, but I think I read somewhere that the (newer?) Tesla TPMS sensors use some sort of Bluetooth technology; is that right?

I want to buy 20" Slipstream wheels for a new Model X, and I am getting the impression that it is reasonable to get fairly recent Tesla factory sensors for (a) battery life, (b) compatibility with the new car's software, and of course (c) quality/durability/reliability.

Last edited: