Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - Replacing 20" with 22" Turbine Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got a new set of 22" wheels I will be mounting next couple days. Is there anything I should know?

From what I understand the TPMS will auto sync to the car?
Should I get an alignment done?
How do I go about changing the avatar in the car to show the correct rims?

Thanks!!!

How bad is the range loss? I keep reading mixed reviews, I currently don't have a charger at home but will be moving in the next few months.

Like how much of a difference does it make to road trips or city driving?

How bad is the range loss? I keep reading mixed reviews, I currently don't have a charger at home but will be moving in the next few months.

YMMV, but in my case, my 250 mile range drops to around 180 practical mile range at California highway speeds. The range loss is worse at higher speeds. If you can keep it close to 65mph, the range loss isn't as bad with efficiency around 350Wh/mile. But at 75-80mph, my efficiency is around 450Wh/mile.

YMMV, but in my case, my 250 mile range drops to around 180 practical mile range at California highway speeds. The range loss is worse at higher speeds. If you can keep it close to 65mph, the range loss isn't as bad with efficiency around 350Wh/mile. But at 75-80mph, my efficiency is around 450Wh/mile.

This ^ on P100 this is my experience

Reactions: commasign

Depends on the tires you put on the 22's. If you want to minimize the loss be sure to get some low rolling resistance tires. No, you won't stick quite as well in the corners, but there always compromises.

I've read about folks with lightweight wheels (which the OEM Turbines are NOT) and low rolling resistance tires only losing ~5% range.

This ^ on P100 this is my experience

+1 to this.

I'm not complaining one bit, because I absolutely LOVE this car (Late-March build 2019 MX P100D), however, my actual range is nowhere near rated range. I figure it's a combination of my driving style as well as the 22" wheels. I'm getting *maybe* 175 miles per 90% charge. My commute to work is about 45 miles each way daily, so 90-miles per day. Given I charge almost daily, the range isn't an issue at all.

The only time this is ever going to matter is when I take the car on much longer trips. For example, I'm planning a trip to my vacation home (500 miles away) in July. I'll be doing a LOT of supercharging along the way, so I'm going to have to embrace a much longer door to door trip time. This car, however is such a revelation... such a joy to drive... none of that matters.

+1 to this.

I'm not complaining one bit, because I absolutely LOVE this car (Late-March build 2019 MX P100D), however, my actual range is nowhere near rated range. I figure it's a combination of my driving style as well as the 22" wheels. I'm getting *maybe* 175 miles per 90% charge. My commute to work is about 45 miles each way daily, so 90-miles per day. Given I charge almost daily, the range isn't an issue at all.

The only time this is ever going to matter is when I take the car on much longer trips. For example, I'm planning a trip to my vacation home (500 miles away) in July. I'll be doing a LOT of supercharging along the way, so I'm going to have to embrace a much longer door to door trip time. This car, however is such a revelation... such a joy to drive... none of that matters.

Proud to drive this electron guzzler. Road trips tricky, but it's a joy for city driving. The falcon wing doors make it the perfect car for school drop off and pickup.

+1 to this.

Beautiful car and color !;)

Main thing to keep in mind is the significant range loss.

So basically its 28% range loss with the larger wheels, Assuming traveling at 75-80 mph?

Range drop going from 20s to 22s is not that bad at all, no where near 28%. At most your see 10% on short urban trips, long trips 5% and less.

I'm saw virtually identical consumption on my 75D running 22s and a loaner 100D running 20s over the same 10 mile stretch of road in identical weather, with AP set to 85mph.

46621745685_d89435a945_z_d.jpg

32594820677_2a2e069ee8_z_d.jpg

Just yesterday I did 94 miles in our 75D X with 22s. Travelling at 10% above speed limit where possible, beat estimated arrival time by about 10 minutes, consumption was bang on what the car predicted.

Last 2500 miles consumption on 22s is barely 5% above average figures for the previous 20,000 miles done with 20s, at 380Wh/miles, versus 360Wh/miles over similar distance in similar weather last year.

Oh tyres on both wheels are Tesla OEM.

3000 miles on 20s.

32359923278_5feb167622_z_d.jpg

2500 miles on 22s.

33897278288_87d7c95692_z_d.jpg

Last edited:
Range drop going from 20s to 22s is not that bad at all, no where near 28%. At most your see 10% on short urban trips, long trips 5% and less.

I'm saw virtually identical consumption on my 75D running 22s and a loaner 100D running 20s over the same 10 mile stretch of road in identical weather, with AP set to 85mph.

46621745685_d89435a945_z_d.jpg

32594820677_2a2e069ee8_z_d.jpg

Just yesterday I did 94 miles in our 75D X with 22s. Travelling at 10% above speed limit where possible, beat estimated arrival time by about 10 minutes, consumption was bang on what the car predicted.

Last 2500 miles consumption on 22s is barely 5% above average figures for the previous 20,000 miles done with 20s, at 380Wh/miles, versus 360Wh/miles over similar distance in similar weather last year.

Oh tyres on both wheels are Tesla OEM.

3000 miles on 20s.

32359923278_5feb167622_z_d.jpg

2500 miles on 22s.

33897278288_87d7c95692_z_d.jpg

Same season and same tire condition? Not bad at all. I didn’t keep a record but I remember 380-420Wh/mile when I had 20” wheels. But as always, YMMV.

I laugh/cry when driving my sister’s 3LR with aero wheels and her ridiculous 250Wh/mile at 80mph.