Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Resale Value - 6 or 7 seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering which variant, 6 or 7-seater, will be in higher-demand/have higher resale value in Hong Kong?

There are threads on this already, but not specifically on resale value, especially in HK.

So far I'm guessing that the 6-seater would be in higher demand due to it's roomy interior, something that would probably especially be preferred in HK.

7 seats sound good on paper, but the way the model X is set up, 6 seat is sooo much better...

bear in mind that the second row seats can't be folded down, which means the model S can actually carry a larger piece of luggage/ furniture (a 60" flat screen TV with packaging can fit in a model S) should that be necessary

Doesn't mean it's gonna have a better resale value tho. Since we have no historicals to base this on, you should probably just go with whatever setup suits yourself best

you can see it as that... having really bad 3rd row seats taking up space that you don't really use and just use 2 in 1st row and 3 in second.

OR

you can get 6 seat configuration, so you have 2 seats in 1st, 2 comfortable seats in the 2nd, and if just 1 person sits in 3rd, he'd still be comfy due to the looooooong leg room. and you wouldn't have to move the 2nd row seats either, just walk in between the two 2nd row seats. i've done quite a bit of monkeying around in the car and that's what i'd go for.

as for buyback from tesla i doubt they're too fussed

For anyone with kids, the third row is perfectly usable. And while I understand the 'transporting furniture and 60" TVs' argument, I really don't think it applies to Hong Kong. Never had to transport a 60" TV in my life here. I have had to pickup stuff from Ikea (because I was in a hurry) but that is flat pack so should work fine with the folding 3rd row, and nowadays would probably just use their delivery service anyway.

What I do see here is lots of families in SUVs and 3-row-estates. I think the 7 seater configuration addresses that market.

I also see Alphards, which the 6 seater configuration provides an alternative to.

As to resale value, I really don't think it matters. Who can predict what will be out there in 3+ years time? If I could, I'd do better on the stock market.

I tried it 2 months ago and yesterday, just try to get different feeling about this car. I definitely recommend 6 seat. The second row mid seat won't comfotably sit people 170cm or taller, its quite similar felling with third row seat, too small, and it makes all 5 back seats feel uncomfortable.

My conclusion is that 6 seater lets 4 taller and 2 shorter persons all sit very comfortable, while 7 seater lets 2 taller people and 5 shorter people sit very comfortable.

I went to the "Meet Model X" in Pacific Place with one specific question in my mind: can we park model X in HK car park?

Overall, I love the car especially the new techs like automatic car doors, falcon wings, panoramic windshield, what else you can ask for at this price?

I asked the lovely Tesla lady there if Tesla HK has tried to park model X in any HK car park, she replied, with confidence, "你可以上 YouTube search 下" (Go find yourself a video in YouTube.)

Don't she know Tesla has all the model X in HK, which is left hand drive only, and no one else could have tried parking it in HK... (And why am I not surprised by her answer...)

Anyway, I take that as a no, she mentioned the height of the car may cause some trouble, but I guess the most difficult part is the width, unlike the Japanese 7 seater which the driver can walk to the second row and exit via the sliding doors, you have to get off a model X by the driver's door. Given the difficulties in finding a wide enough parking space for the smaller model S (around 10 cm smaller in width), I doubt if you (as the driver) can park and leave a model X in most of the HK car park without Summon

Even with Summon (if we ever see that in HK), you still risk having new dents and scratches from the car parking next door every time

For me, I am not going to order model X until I am rich enough to own at least 2 cars, a model S which I can park in a few (but enough numbers of) car parks, and a model X which is cool to have but can't go too many places with and hopefully a model III also which I can go and park anywhere I want

If you are considering resale value in the open market, you better make sure there are enough people out there who want to have a second hand model X and at the same time, have a very wide parking space for it

model X = 2271 mm (width) x 5037 mm (length)

GLE = 2141 mm (width) x 4819 mm (length)

X6 = 1979 mm (width) x 4877 mm (length)

so GLE is 13 cm narrower and 21.8 cm shorter, X6 is 29.2 cm narrower and 16 cm shorter than a model X. In fact both GLE and X6 are smaller than a model S

A better comparison may be a BMW 7 series at 2169 mm (width) x 5098 mm (length), yet model X is still wider than a 7 series by 16.8 cm if both of them have mirrors folded - 2070 mm (model X) vs 1902 mm (BMW 7 series)

I met a few GLE / X6 / 7 series on the road, but I never seen one in HK car park, perhaps they are expensive cars and don't go to places where average people like me will do, but data on "parkability" is lacking

• Informative
Reactions: ediot
Full width of various cars with mirrors extended:
(blue color: moved up a rank compared to the previous list)

1870 mm = Toyota Alphard
2112 mm = Volvo XC90 (2003)
2130 mm = Mercedes S-Class
2169 mm = BMW 7-Series
2170 mm = BMW X6
2187 mm = Tesla Model S
2141 mm = Mercedes GLE
2140 mm = Volvo XC90 (2016)
2214 mm = Hummer H2
2220 mm = Land Rover Discovery
2271 mm = Tesla Model X
2300 mm = Toyota Coaster (minibus, rough estimate from me)