Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Reservation for sale ($5k)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a backlog right now. They have over 30,000+ reservations so you can't possibly get your car in 2016 if you walked into a store now.

Despite having my reservation for two years, someone could order a P90D today and probably take delivery before me. I do think your reservation is worth the $5000, though -- assuming the buyer gets to keep the $5000 deposit at Tesla on the trade. ;)

That's classic ohmman, Truth/Humor combo. "Everybody" has "known" for years that reservations are not transferable. What has reportedly happened, or been attempted, is configuring the car for a third party, reservation holder buys it, then immediately hands it over to the third party buyer. Have Fun!

There's a backlog right now. They have over 30,000+ reservations so you can't possibly get your car in 2016 if you walked into a store now.

Do I understand this correctly that you have not configured yet? If so that means your deposit is refundable. That also means you don't have a place in the only line that matters, the configured line.
I configured a MX90D in February and, as @Ohmman explained, I fully expect that someone could walk into a store today, configure one that is fully loaded and they would get theirs before me. Even the configured line has a process that enables later configurations to get ahead of others with less fully equipped orders.

Last edited:
That's classic ohmman, Truth/Humor combo. "Everybody" has "known" for years that reservations are not transferable. What has reportedly happened, or been attempted, is configuring the car for a third party, reservation holder buys it, then immediately hands it over to the third party buyer. Have Fun!

"reservation holder buys it"

That triggers sales tax, doesn't it?

"reservation holder buys it"

That triggers sales tax, doesn't it?
yes and when just the sales tax approaches 5 figures, it starts to matter :rolleyes: The original buyer pays CA (or wherever delivery is final) then as a secondary transaction, the third party would have to pay sales tax in whatever state in order to get his registration. Right? Pretty much any deal is doable, but I've certainly heard better plans :wink:

People still don't get the fact that a reservation has no value. It doesn't guarantee you a spot in line in addition Tesla prohibits the transfer. If you going ahead and buy it with the intent of selling you are ineligible for the Federal Tax Rebate and the purchaser is also ineligible because it is a used car. Then as they said previously you and the purchaser have to pay sales tax.

Cancel you reservation and get your $5k back.

If Elon really gets the 1000 Xs per week he promised by the end of Q2, 30k deliveries can go by pretty fast. I think they're hoping to go higher than 1000 later in the year, too.
Walter

For them to go over 1000 a week the Model S would need to be selling far fewer, combined capacity is about 1600-1800/week. They were cranking out 1000 S per week last year, once they get to 1000 X's the S capacity will drop to the balance.

Just to reiterate, reservation number is irrelevant. My reservation number was just about 20,000. My car is already in production. What matters is the order confirmation date and configuration options. That is it. Anyone who places a deposit now will have access to the design studio within 2 to 5 business days, it actually seems that access is granted the Monday following your deposit payment. Once the order is placed, it allows for one week to make changes before it is confirmed. Once confirmed, you're in the production queue. Anyone who places an order now for a P90D jumps in line ahead of all the 90D and 70D orders.

The only thing reservation numbers did for us was grant earlier reservations first access to the design studio.

The only way your reservation would have any value to anyone is if it's for a Signature or Founders [by referral] model. And at that point, you still can't transfer. Best you could do is allow someone to work with you to buy the car. Or you can add their name to the order as an "or" on the naming and they can just title it in their name, but that still muddies up the tax credits as your name will still be on the purchase paperwork.

If Elon really gets the 1000 Xs per week he promised by the end of Q2, 30k deliveries can go by pretty fast. I think they're hoping to go higher than 1000 later in the year, too.
Walter

Exactly!
Remember, they talked about an exponential curve or some wording like that.
They will greatly surprise everyone with how many they start cranking out. Under promise and over deliver!

In fact, if you look at the website it clearly says: "estimated delivery for new reservations is the latter half of 2016".

So besides the issues already mentioned about taxes, the tax incentive eligibility, the ESA, and other issues, (you don't want to get on their bad side - look at poor Stewart), it seems the best course is to just order now and get your X in the latter half of this year!

Last edited:
You are not getting it, a reservation has no value. First, Tesla won't allow you to transfer it but more importantly I can go online and reserve a car and within a few days get an invitation to configure and within two weeks have a confirmed order and if I ordered loaded car I could have one in a couple months. The reservation number is not used to determine the order cars are produced.

Finally, Tesla reads this forum on a regular basis and have reached out to users with specific questions in the past. I guarantee you record had been flagged.