Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Reservation in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody paid for a Model X reservation and were you given any indication of when you might be offered a slot? I was told recently that delivery would be late 2017 at best and possibly early 2018. I'm thinking of reserving one for Marge...

I have a reservation but no time frame. Speculation starts at late 2016 but could be anytime after this. One determinant may be the configuration you select when it comes to the time. At present it seems tesla are only producing the 6 and 7 seat versions in us so those waiting on a 5 seat have a longer wait. Also the 90 model seems to be coming out faster in us than the 70. There is a thought that by the time the deliveries cone to Australia this delivery times for different set ups may have evened out.

I just re-checked the email I received about Model X deliveries in Australia and I shouldn't have used the phrase "late 2017"; that was from memory and it turns out that the advice was that reservations made now - as distinct from those that already have a reservation - could expect a delivery anytime in 2017 and, worst case, early 2018. I was keen to order a Model X but didn't want to wait until an unknown point in 2017 or 2018 so that's why I ordered a Model S. But I think I should still go ahead and plum for a reservation slot on a Model X and was just wondering what others had been told.

I just re-checked the email I received about Model X deliveries in Australia and I shouldn't have used the phrase "late 2017"; that was from memory and it turns out that the advice was that reservations made now - as distinct from those that already have a reservation - could expect a delivery anytime in 2017 and, worst case, early 2018. I was keen to order a Model X but didn't want to wait until an unknown point in 2017 or 2018 so that's why I ordered a Model S. But I think I should still go ahead and plum for a reservation slot on a Model X and was just wondering what others had been told.
We might be waiting til next decade for model 3, based on those numbers.

Homer, thanks for clarifying. I expect they'll do a lot better than that as many investors will expect them to double production this year, and you're quoted timeframe hit model 3 launch where they better be doing 200k vehicles per year or they'll be hugely constrained to meet demand (not a bad problem to have huh?)

Personally I feel that if they aren't shipping both signatures and mid-year 2016 X orders by the end of this year then they aren't ramping up sufficiently to meet what they need to deliver model 3 globally.

Homer, thanks for clarifying. I expect they'll do a lot better than that as many investors will expect them to double production this year, and you're quoted timeframe hit model 3 launch where they better be doing 200k vehicles per year or they'll be hugely constrained to meet demand (not a bad problem to have huh?)

Personally I feel that if they aren't shipping both signatures and mid-year 2016 X orders by the end of this year then they aren't ramping up sufficiently to meet what they need to deliver model 3 globally.
History suggests there wont be any RHD version until the US market is fully satisfied. Thats how model s went, including the dual motor version.