Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model X Reset Techniques

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My front passenger door opens violently and does not detect people or cars in front of it. It swings so hard that when it opens fully it strains the hinges and rebounds back a bit. Would injure a person standing next to and absolutely destroy any car next to it. It will not respond to the fob or the door button or the touchscreen to close. When I close it manually it fights back the entire time and my wife can barely pull it closed. Tried the reset-and-open-the-door-from-inside-then-close-it-slowly and that didn't work. Will make a service and let you know the outcome. From what I can tell, this is a motor replacement. Our X just came out of warranty this year and I'm already over $15K out of pocket for repairs to the failing exotic door latches and air suspension and the THIRD replacement of the front suspension in just over 5 years of ownership (it's a known issue but now I'm paying for it instead of warranty). So much for a lower total cost of ownership.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
My front passenger door opens violently and does not detect people or cars in front of it. It swings so hard that when it opens fully it strains the hinges and rebounds back a bit. Would injure a person standing next to and absolutely destroy any car next to it. It will not respond to the fob or the door button or the touchscreen to close. When I close it manually it fights back the entire time and my wife can barely pull it closed. Tried the reset-and-open-the-door-from-inside-then-close-it-slowly and that didn't work. Will make a service and let you know the outcome. From what I can tell, this is a motor replacement. Our X just came out of warranty this year and I'm already over $15K out of pocket for repairs to the failing exotic door latches and air suspension and the THIRD replacement of the front suspension in just over 5 years of ownership (it's a known issue but now I'm paying for it instead of warranty). So much for a lower total cost of ownership.
A good reason to look at after market Waurantees. Sorry you’ve had so many OOP expenses

Methods for resetting various features in the Model X:

Center Display
Press and hold both scroll buttons for a few seconds. Center console display will turn black and reboot.​
Instrument Cluster
Press and hold both of the steering wheel buttons above the scroll wheels. IC display will turn black and reboot.​
Reset of 'most' systems (4 fingers) ~~ [non-"refreshed" models - no yoke]
Put/keep foot on brake. Press and hold both scroll buttons *and* steering wheel buttons above the scroll wheels. Keep foot on brake until CD and IC display are non-blank.​
Reset of 'most' systems (temporarily change wheel configuration trick)
Change your wheel configuration to something not on your X (Service -> Wheel Configuration) and after it restarts the car then change it back to the original.​
Reset of 'all' systems
Under Settings, E-Brake and Power Off. Power vehicle off, then use the brake to restart.​

Front Door Calibration
From inside the vehicle, do a scroll wheel (touchscreen) reset.​
Open the door from inside (the manual handle will always release the door).​
Manually push the door to the full open position, then slowly and deliberately push the door manually closed so that it will latch. Close it slow enough that it takes about 5 to 10 seconds. If the latch pulls the door in, all is working okay.​
Front Door Windows Calibration
Method 1
With the door closed, roll the window all the way down with a "soft click" (not the full down click). Hold the window down for at least 5 seconds after it is fully closed.​
Roll the window back up with a soft click (not full up) and hold the window all the way up for at least 5 seconds.​
Method 2 (Newer)
Open door.​
Roll window down.​
Auto-roll window up (pull up fully on the switch and release so it rolls itself up without you holding the switch).​
When window is about half way open, give it a firm smack downwards from above. This simulates something getting stuck in the window and it will roll down to prevent injury.​
Repeat this process until the window will no longer auto roll up. This can take 10-15 repetitions.​
Close and open the door to verify​
Falcon Wing Door Calibration
Take the vehicle outdoors where there’s nothing in range of the FWD (and probably no overhead cache - that is, the display allows you to fully open the doors on one touch.) Hold the physical door switch inside the vehicle until door is all the way open. Next, hold the physical door switch down until the door is all the way closed. The door should be recalibrated at this point.​
Falcon Wing Door Complete Reset:
Remove access panel in funk area (no tool required)​
Disconnect emergency services power loop located under the orange sticker that should be above your funk space.​
Get a stubby 13mm socket and disconnect ground strap (black wire bolted to chassis under the area of the Emergency Services loop.) Wait 20 Seconds. Reconnect it.​
Plug the loop back in.​
Center screen will suggest you need to recalibrate the doors.​
This reset is needed when no button pushes or holds work and the door is completely non-responsive.​
Vehicle Stuck in Park
Have all passengers exit Model X for 2 minutes with doors closed. Re-enter vehicle. Use Power Off/Reset Technique above. Wait 2 minutes, start vehicle again.​
Time Zone is off by 1+ hours when "road tripping"
If the displayed time was changed as you were traveling across timezones and does not change "back" after crossing the timezone again (AT&T cell tower zone) then you can just press and hold the time shown for about 5 seconds and it will re-sync the time. (hat tip)​
Active Spoiler Stuck Down
Put vehicle in park. Go to Settings, Service & Reset, Spoiler and set it to Extended. This will raise the spoiler up. Perform center display reset technique from above. Spoiler will remain up and fully extend as part of reset.​
~~ steering wheel reset graphics - How to reboot your Tesla if something is going wrong - Tesla Owners UK
Thanks!! Super useful

Reactions: Nikon201068
Dear Collective Wisdom:
One of my hobbies is to resuscitate dead Teslas when their owners go away for several months and then return to find the high voltage battery and the 12 volt battery dead. (I also help out non-Tesla EVs when they pull into the superchargers to try to charge their cars). However the newer models are coming with a 16 volt battery that is charged from the HV battery and I am not sure if my older techniques of getting into the frunk and locating the hot plug and charging the car battery will work. Will my 12 volt battery charger wake up the 16 volt battery enough so we open the charge port and charge the car?

Dear Collective Wisdom:
One of my hobbies is to resuscitate dead Teslas when their owners go away for several months and then return to find the high voltage battery and the 12 volt battery dead. (I also help out non-Tesla EVs when they pull into the superchargers to try to charge their cars). However the newer models are coming with a 16 volt battery that is charged from the HV battery and I am not sure if my older techniques of getting into the frunk and locating the hot plug and charging the car battery will work. Will my 12 volt battery charger wake up the 16 volt battery enough so we open the charge port and charge the car?
Check the manuals for those 16v systems. Simple. The quick look I saw didn't indicate to use anything but a standard 12v jump device

Again just go check the manual for some of the common models you would work on. See roadside section.
TMX: https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/modelx/en_us/GUID-3567D5F4-A5F4-4323-8BE0-023D5438FFC6.html
jLBpDa4.jpg

Iin this case a lithium battery apparently has a 'self-recover' reserve feature. Again just go check the manual for some of the common models you would work on. See roadside section.
TMY: https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/modely/en_us/GUID-3567D5F4-A5F4-4323-8BE0-023D5438FFC6.html

cvA6ii4.jpg

• Helpful
  • Love
Reactions: ohmman and mbp11
Well the other day I was inside the car with my drivers window open and my hand on outside top frame. Closed the window and caught my hand at the top of the glass. Oddly it did not hurt much. It just sort of forced the glass outward but appeared to go up all the way. I retracted my hand and since then when I lock the car I get a message that the window is not up all the way on the app. Looking at the window it only goes down about 1/4" instead of the 3/4 before when opening. Just enough to clear the trim.

I tried every front window calibration in this thread to see if I could restored the proper action but none fixed it. I now have a mobile service scheduled next week for $200 extended warranty minimum to have Tesla fix it. If anyone has an idea what I can do to fix it myself that would be appreciated.

An update on my drivers window: It turns out the recalibration techniques were not going to work in my situation. When I got my hand caught in the window while it was being raised, it stretched the safety springs that are designed for just this reason. So the window regulator mechanism had to be replaced. All done by Mobile Service in under 1/2 hour for my $200 deductible.

An update on my drivers window: It turns out the recalibration techniques were not going to work in my situation. When I got my hand caught in the window while it was being raised, it stretched the safety springs that are designed for just this reason. So the window regulator mechanism had to be replaced. All done by Mobile Service in under 1/2 hour for my $200 deductible.
You got luck! Check my invoice for the same problem in attachment. And I have “used car warranty“ which they refuse to grant due to “tear and wear“ (???).
what do you mean under 200 deductible?

Attachments

• IMG_3411.png
    IMG_3411.png
    230.8 KB · Views: 66
Did you find out what caused this?
They replaced the door motor. Fixed the problem but every once in a while I still get a weird situation where the latches don't work properly and the door takes a couple of tries to close. Ironically I am writing this post from a Tesla service centre where I am having all my brakes replaced and the front suspension (AGAIN) replaced.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200