Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model X Reset Techniques

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@UncaNed Try Safety and Security from the menu. Close all doors and do not press any pedals. Press "Power Off" and confirm Power Off. The screens will all go off. Wait for the cooling fans to stop and all interior lights to go off. Pressing the brake pedal will restart the screens.
What is the issue your are trying to resolve?
Thanks! The issue is both scroll wheels and all steering wheel buttons stopped working. So I thought I'd reboot. Couldn't hurt to try that, no?

@UncaNed Understand. OK if you can reboot. Again, do not press Restore to Factory Settings without Tesla asking you do to so. It will require all your Configurations to be re-established. I was advised to do son on a totaled vehicle with the warning this can not be undone.

Good Luck

Last edited:
I turned it off and back on, but I just realized that none of the scroll wheels, buttons, and not even the horn works on the steering wheel. The buttons are lighted however.

Is there one wire harness for the steering wheel lights and another for all the rest of the steering wheel input stuff? Is there a connector for all the controls on the steering wheel that might have fallen loose? If so, where might I find it??

Thanks for all the help, @Aljohn .

Since the X is "drive by wire", that is the primary steering control is electronic, not mechanical. I would recommend contacting Tesla before you drive the X as a precaution. The only access to the front requires removal of the Frunk liner and Frunk ass'y. Even if you remove, I am not sure you can access the steering column wiring. Again -- Contact support/service before you drive.

Reactions: UncaNed
Since the X is "drive by wire", that is the primary steering control is electronic, not mechanical. I would recommend contacting Tesla before you drive the X as a precaution. The only access to the front requires removal of the Frunk liner and Frunk ass'y. Even if you remove, I am not sure you can access the steering column wiring. Again -- Contact support/service before you drive.
OK, Thanks a bunch!

since you mentioned the trunk & wires...i am curious about some wires i found at the very front of the frunk ..several not so long ones just laying there attached to nothing. Have any ideas what they are ?Thanks in Advance

I just wanted to add a Tidbit to the "Method 2" Windows Reset Procedure. This is on a Raven X.

I was suffering from a mysterious "Phantom Obstacle" on my Drivers Door (coincidentally the first usage after V10 update). Note: I might have had window partially open during the update. Also update may have had absolutely nothing to do with it. But I think it had something to do with adding the "Vent" features. Like adding new "Vent" Positions to a Table and messing something up.

I could nudge an inch at time past this "Phantom Obstacle" to get the window to close, but if I did a full click up or held it up it would go up 2/3's and turn around and back off, like the Window thought it hit something. Same issue if door was open (way less resistance) and even if I was helping the window up past the "phantom obstacle" it instantly stopped and reversed in the exact same some spot every time. It was NOT binding.

This went on for a couple days. Tried car reboot with window up and window down. No luck.

Finally I tried "Method 1" reset from this thread, no luck. Then I tried "Method 2", after 4 times or so it felt pointless (despite it saying it might take 15 attempts). Then I decided to open the door and try "Method 2".

Suddenly after a couple tries the "Phantom Obstacle" moved, by a lot, now it would go up 1/3 of the way and turn around. I must be close. Then it was back to the obstacle at the 2/3 position again. Then suddenly after a couple more tries the Window went all the way to the VERY top (as in the Closed Door Position, with the Door Open). We know it's not supposed to do that. But at that point it felt like that all the "Phantom Obstacles" were magically cleared. But the fact that it was too high with door open didn't feel so good. Glass would hit trim if I tried to close it, in that position.

At that point I put the window half way up and did the "Method 1" Reset procedure for good measure. I'm not sure this was needed but figured it would not hurt. Window has been 100% normal for the past several days. Vent is also working. But sometimes not all windows Vent (one rear window sometimes stays up).

Thank you - we were driving along all of a sudden out of the front speakers - as one TMC person mentioned this is a shame because the Whoopi cushion sounds come from here. The holding down of the two scroll buttons on either side of the steering column for 20 seconds (in my case it was a full 20) worked for me! Thanks TMC - so happy:) glad I joined
Methods for resetting various features in the Model X:

Center Display
Press and hold both scroll buttons for a few seconds. Center console display will turn black and reboot.​
Instrument Cluster
Press and hold both of the steering wheel buttons above the scroll wheels. IC display will turn black and reboot.​
Reset of 'most' systems (4 fingers) ~~
Put/keep foot on brake. Press and hold both scroll buttons *and* steering wheel buttons above the scroll wheels. Keep foot on brake until CD and IC display are non-blank.​
Reset of 'all' systems
Under Settings, E-Brake and Power Off. Power vehicle off, then use the brake to restart.​

Front Door Calibration

From inside the vehicle, do a scroll wheel (touchscreen) reset.
Open the door from inside (the manual handle will always release the door).
Manually push the door to the full open position, then slowly and deliberately push the door manually closed so that it will latch. Close it slow enough that it takes about 5 to 10 seconds. If the latch pulls the door in, all is working okay.
Front Door Windows Calibration
Method 1
With the door closed, roll the window all the way down with a "soft click" (not the full down click). Hold the window down for at least 5 seconds after it is fully closed.
Roll the window back up with a soft click (not full up) and hold the window all the way up for at least 5 seconds.

Method 2 (Newer)
Open door.
Roll window down.
Auto-roll window up (pull up fully on the switch and release so it rolls itself up without you holding the switch).
When window is about half way open, give it a firm smack downwards from above. This simulates something getting stuck in the window and it will roll down to prevent injury.
Repeat this process until the window will no longer auto roll up. This can take 10-15 repetitions.
Close and open the door to verify
Falcon Wing Door Calibration
Take the vehicle outdoors where there’s nothing in range of the FWD (and probably no overhead cache - that is, the display allows you to fully open the doors on one touch.) Hold the physical door switch inside the vehicle until door is all the way open. Next, hold the physical door switch down until the door is all the way closed. The door should be recalibrated at this point.

Falcon Wing Door Complete Reset:
Remove access panel in funk area (no tool required)
Disconnect emergency services power loop located under the orange sticker that should be above your funk space.
Get a stubby 13mm socket and disconnect ground strap (black wire bolted to chassis under the area of the Emergency Services loop.) Wait 20 Seconds. Reconnect it.
Plug the loop back in.
Center screen will suggest you need to recalibrate the doors.
This reset is needed when no button pushes or holds work and the door is completely non-responsive.

Vehicle Stuck in Park
Have all passengers exit Model X for 2 minutes with doors closed. Re-enter vehicle. Use Power Off/Reset Technique above. Wait 2 minutes, start vehicle again.
Active Spoiler Stuck Down
Put vehicle in park. Go to Settings, Service & Reset, Spoiler and set it to Extended. This will raise the spoiler up. Perform center display reset technique from above. Spoiler will remain up and fully extend as part of reset.
~~ steering wheel reset graphics - How to reboot your Tesla if something is going wrong

reset the height of the FWD (from another part of the forum)
Thanks to Tony AVI

With the help of a very knowledgeable young lady in the Edinburgh (Scotland) sales centre I have resolved the problem, hopefully. Tested it over several days and so far all good in that the doors now open to full height when I first get the car out of the garage.

The procedure was:
Get the car out of the garage
Open the FWD which, of course only opened to low height
Press and continue pressing the open FWD button on screen
An alarm sounds but the FWD slowly opens to full height
A blue pop up button then appears on the screen asking if I always want to open at full height at this location
Press that button
Problem solved

Hope this works for those of you still struggling with half open doors when the car has just come out of the garage and is still very close to it.

Thanks to Tony AVI

With the help of a very knowledgeable young lady in the Edinburgh (Scotland) sales centre I have resolved the problem, hopefully. Tested it over several days and so far all good in that the doors now open to full height when I first get the car out of the garage.

The procedure was:
A blue pop up button then appears on the screen asking if I always want to open at full height at this location
Press that button
Problem solved

Hope this works for those of you still struggling with half open doors when the car has just come out of the garage and is still very close to it.

And it still opens to a safe height in Garage?

Thanks to Tony AVI

The procedure was:
Press that button
Problem solved

OK, I tried this.

I was worried if I set it too high in the driveway it might hit something in the garage (same location as far as it knows).

So I tried it in the garage first. It was opening like 25% in the garage and I had room for 75%.
No go, nothing pops up on the screen.

So then I went outside the garage and tried again. It opens higher outside before doing anything (like 50%) but there is room for 100% of course.
Success. As soon as it reached 100%, and only when you reach 100% does the blue button pop up to save it.
And when you "save it" your telling it to open BOTH doors to 100% in this location.
What's nice is, it retains a button, right where the blue button was to cancel the full height at this location.

Now the question is, what will it do in the garage?

I pull in, and VERY carefully watch it open. It opened to 60%. Not as wide as it could but way better than it was.
I also tried the other side which is very close to a wall and used to open to like 10% and now it's like 20% (safe and wider)

I also opened the garage door, which makes things worst (lower ceiling) and it opened slightly less, perfect.

Overall 100% improvement. Not as custom as I thought it might be but it's much better and still pretty safe.

Thanks for the find !!

Curious how far I have to drive before the "Full Height, This Location" Cancel Button disappears.
Because I assume I can do this at another location.

Still don't understand why it opened so low outside the garage in the first place, but still higher than in the garage.

• Helpful
Reactions: jlv1 and scottf200
Awesome thread - i'm looking to do a deep reset of my MX after AP cameras and such have gone on fritz. In Model 3 forums, users were disconnected 12V battery terminal and also disconnecting a connector located under rear seats. This would fix camera issues for many. Can i simply disconnect the emerg power in the Frunk to accomplish same thing in MX? What is the proper procedure - thank you.

Can i simply disconnect the emerg power in the Frunk to accomplish same thing in MX? What is the proper procedure
This will only disconnect the high voltage battery pack, but won't touch the 12V if I'm not mistaken.

On the other side of the frunk you can find the 12V battery and you can disconnect the + pole for a full power off of all 12V systems such as the MCU and camera's.

Reactions: Rossy