Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X reveal impact on TSLA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly. I was trying to explain what's going on with the MX release to my wife and as I was talking about it I realized the release has gone from exciting to confusing and sort of miserable. Maybe it's just because I'm reading too much TMC - what do we think the MX launch looks like to the outside world?

To the outside world there is no X launch. It doesn't look like anything. We TMC people are working ourselves up by examining spy photos and then getting mad about what the spy photos say. I think it is fine a fun sport, but getting mad about it is crossing a line. Tesla Motors doesn't owe us an explanation about their unreleased secret products! </soapbox>

Uelesslogin and I are synchronized posting... :)

Maybe the seat back can move forward so that the seats face the rear? That would give almost the same space as folding the backs down. Also the benefits of "club seating"... the five people in back can have a party while the Autopilot is on, like in the Ron Burgundy movie.

And, simply because I don't know the answer, do CUVs like the Audi Q7 (that is, the competition) have folding 2nd rows? I assume there's a third row at least.

Grr, that was my thought too. Another variation would have the outside seats facing inward and the middle seat moved all the way forward and facing aft.

Can we please have a separate thread for foldgate. This is ridiculous and only relevant to the stock price in its ridiculousness. At least, those who are concerned about this should follow relevant Model X threads and make comments there. There is a lot of functionality being discussed there with the benefit of pictures. It was known on September 1 that the seats do not fold, but it is also true that the seats move in ways we will not fully understand until the reveal. If the market was really freaking out over this, it would have done so already. There is no need to spaz out over week old information.
I agree, but I enjoyed having a good laugh.

That is the problem, they aren't trying to sell the car. They may only ship 2,000 in Q4. We'll see. Maybe there aren't that many people who would buy a Model S instead of reserving and X but it still, at least to Tesla, may make more logical sense to not do anything to encourage Model X sales when someone tired of waiting might decide to buy a Model S instead.

Sorry, I meant configure a signature reservation rather than 'sell'. My point wasn't in the technical details, only they are selling the car to the public through the information they release. Having this recent speculation about what it can't do, how it won't work for me and implanting those doubts as first impressions are not positive reactions when seemingly you could show those features. Even if some percentage do become X cancellations they might still become Model S purchasers...once they can make an informed decision comparing the two.

I know I've been hanging out and reading too much in the X forums. :smile:

I think many short term traders don't give enough credit to the extent that psychology can drive short term price movements. Just remember back to late 2012... TSLA was selling for $20 per share, hadn't moved significantly above or below that level for years. Even when Motor Trend made it the "Car of the Year", stock was still flat. The reason is that the Fisker debacle and the GM EV debacle cemented in peoples minds that an EV couldn't possibly be successful. Mind you, this mind set even persisted after the car of the year award. CAR OF THE YEAR AWARD!

Tesla now is in the news every day, no matter what little thing happens. Media coverage is over the top. Tesla is like Donald Trump, nobody is paying attention to anyone else, even if they are saying/doing the same thing. Bad news sells, good news doesn't. Turn on any "news" channel and see what is presented as news. CNN now only shows "breaking news" for anything related to homicides or other spectacular events that have no impact to the real world. Why? Because people eat it up.

My band leader back in high school had an interesting take on our annual pilgrimage to the state competition. Expectations for our school were very high, because we always got the top possible award. It wasn't good enough for our band to just be really excellent. He said the judges paid special attention to us versus other schools because we had always done so well. When other bands played and many different instruments were hitting bad notes, as long as the overall performance was still good, they did pretty well. But, when our band played, everyone was so good, that when a single bad note was hit by anyone, it stood out like a sore thumb. That is what the judges were listening for, because expectations for us were so high. During practice, we would literally stop playing and just look dumbfounded at the person who did it when it happened.

So how does this all relate to Tesla/TSLA :confused: Expectations for the company are extraordinarily high. Every single media outlet is looking for the "gotcha" story. The "one bad note" that grabs every ones attention versus any/all good news coming out on the X. Headlines like "Model X beats Porsche 911 in drag race, but whats with those second row seats???"

So while it may be the case that a non-foldable second row seat will have "absolutely zero impact" on the long term success of the company, as a short term trader, you have to ask yourself what effect this will have WRT media reaction, public reaction, all the momentum traders, and the HFT algorithms that will start making decisions on any bad news and exacerbate any drop due to any X related bad news, second row seats related or anything else less than 100% perfection.

My $0.02

RT

Again this board is falling into the trap of thinking that product news (folding seats) is going to move the stock. How many D announcements do we have to go through before we learn that the stock makes sustained moves on financial news---not product news?

Again this board is falling into the trap of thinking that product news (folding seats) is going to move the stock. How many D announcements do we have to go through before we learn that the stock makes sustained moves on financial news---not product news?

True, and as astonishing as this may SEEM, the majority of tesla car buyers are not on these boards scrutinizing spy photos. There is this huge population of people who go about their lives and just buy and use excellent Tesla products. Foldgate and secondrowcupholdergate are not really impacting sales. TM doesn't have to beat an idealized car, they have to beat the competition. We just have to trust that there are compensating features that are neat.

To the outside world? To the outside world there hasn't been an MX launch yet. It is still "coming."

That may be Tesla's plan, but my only personal "outside world" datapoint is a friend who knows I'm into Tesla texting me on September 3rd: "Am I missing something...or is the Model X CRAZILY expensive??"

I know Tesla isn't worried about the short term SP (to their credit), but I wish they'd put a little more thought into this launch so it wasn't so easy for it to be misunderstood by advocates AND haters.

Do people really think the tesla engineers stared at the model X for years, a Utility vehicle, and the thought of cargo space never crossed their mind? Raise your hand if you would design a product, especially a car, without analyzing all of your competition? Why would they waste their time doing this, it's only billions of dollars on the line right? Please people. I can't believe this discussion has escalated like this. I'm going to stick with my belief that Tesla isn't run by a bunch of idiots until proven otherwise.

The stock reacted to the fires and that most certainly was product 'news'... However, I agree : stock price is not going to react to folding seats yes/no. However there is a secondary effect we shouldn't ignore. If at launch the model X demonstrates a best-in-class autopilot making reservations shoot up to double/triple numbers we see today, we will most certainly see a big move upwards. Likewise if the X disappoints for product reasons (due to the seats, range or whatever) and the press reports cancellations rates over 50%, I would expect the stock to go downwards.

The stock reacted to the fires and that most certainly was product 'news'... However, I agree : stock price is not going to react to folding seats yes/no. However there is a secondary effect we shouldn't ignore. If at launch the model X demonstrates a best-in-class autopilot making reservations shoot up to double/triple numbers we see today, we will most certainly see a big move upwards. Likewise if the X disappoints for product reasons (due to the seats, range or whatever) and the press reports cancellations rates over 50%, I would expect the stock to go downwards.

The release of the X will not move the share price up significantly. Investors care about financial performance of the company and future outlook to price the shares. The Model X release is a known, planned event and thus baked into the current share price. If it does not happen in the near future for some reason or happens with significant problems, however, then that would be unexpected and could have an effect on the share price.

What this guy said.

I don't think you can compare the fires to a seat, fires put the scare of "recall" into everyone's mind which is a tad bit more significant than what a seat does or does not do.

Again, why is everyone so stuck on the term "FOLD"? If they instead pivot out of the way, which would explain why the seat's pillars are shaped the unique way that they are (design and prototype being identical) as in this figure Will the second row seats fold flat? If so, how? - Page 34, then that would be just as good of a solution.

I think there is error in interpreting "they don't fold" as "they are fixed in place."

Again, why is everyone so stuck on the term "FOLD"? If they instead pivot out of the way, which would explain why the seat's pillars are shaped the unique way that they are (design and prototype being identical) as in this figure Will the second row seats fold flat? If so, how? - Page 34, then that would be just as good of a solution.

I think there is error in interpreting "they don't fold" as "they are fixed in place."
At least one individual asked Tesla how they moved and the only directions were forward and backwards. No other movement. They confirmed this on two calls backed up with a supervisor.

At least one individual asked Tesla how they moved and the only directions were forward and backwards. No other movement. They confirmed this on two calls backed up with a supervisor.

But that is my point exactly. If the mechanism to move the seat out of the way is by pivot arms at the floor and seat base, is that not "forward?" Again, forward does not equal fixed.

View attachment seats.bmp