Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X reveal impact on TSLA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are looking at this through different frames of reference for sure. My definition of 'holding cards close to their chests' does not include poor communication with their customers over simple questions about the products they are trying to sell. If they were truly trying to hold those cards close, IMO (yep opinion), the design studio should have opened AFTER the reveal on Sept 29th. If you decide to open up the design studio and start asking people to configure/confirm their vehicles you better be prepared to answer questions, in detail, about the product and potential options or lack thereof.

I've said this before, but it obviously needs repeating: *this* situation is NOT an example of poor communication on the part of Tesla. Tesla IS communicating just fine. They are communicating that such and such will not be revealed or answered until the first deliveries to Founders. Some people simply do not like that answer from Tesla. That's different than poor communication.

Gosh, how could they open the design studio after Sept 29th with all the people here bellyaching about how the design studio wasn't open yet? I'm mean seriously. Rock meet hard place.

The opening of the design studio beforehand allowed those Sig holders who do NOT have to know everything and don't have to test drive to go ahead and configure. Everyone else will get the information they need on Sept 30th or later on in the year after a test drive.

I could not care less if the seats fold.

With that said I am worried about short/term stock price and reveal of the model X. It makes no sense to me whatsoever to open the design studio when they did, or have people sign non-disclosures or whatever the case may be. The car is 2 YEARS late. Why not wait an extra month to do the unveil and open the design studio? Is it because Elon said the studio will be open by the end of the month (i cannot remember where he said it , but do remember him saying it)? did they not want the stock price to go down so hurried out the design studio without themselves knowing some of the 'answers' yet? I really cannot imagine the reasoning for not giving all the answers and details at the unveiling...even if that came another month late , which at this point seems like a trivial amount of time. So I am going with there a hiccups, and major ones, which have surfaced.

As for Tesla's communication being good? I would beg to differ. I have got ...maybe one email from them regarding the model X over the three plus years they have held my deposit. Maybe a semi-annual "appreciate your patience and support" email , which someone could compose and send out in what, an hour? would go a long way.

I've said this before, but it obviously needs repeating: *this* situation is NOT an example of poor communication on the part of Tesla. Tesla IS communicating just fine. They are communicating that such and such will not be revealed or answered until the first deliveries to Founders. Some people simply do not like that answer from Tesla. That's different than poor communication.

Gosh, how could they open the design studio after Sept 29th with all the people here bellyaching about how the design studio wasn't open yet? I'm mean seriously. Rock meet hard place.

The opening of the design studio beforehand allowed those Sig holders who do NOT have to know everything and don't have to test drive to go ahead and configure. Everyone else will get the information they need on Sept 30th or later on in the year after a test drive.

Well if they put themselves between a rock and a hard place it was Elon's own words and timeline estimates that put him there in the first place. Missing deadlines should have consequences. I'm tired of apologizing and feeling like a fool for ever taking his estimates as being remotely accurate.

As for Tesla's communication being good? I would beg to differ. I have got ...maybe one email from them regarding the model X over the three plus years they have held my deposit. Maybe a semi-annual "appreciate your patience and support" email , which someone could compose and send out in what, an hour? would go a long way.

Let me give you another perspective so you might be able to understand that not everyone thinks as you do. Some people, such as yourself, appreciate periodic updates even if those updates contain zero information. Hi, nothing new to report, blah, blah blah, bye.

But there is another group of people (like engineering types, but not exclusively) who simply wouldn't think there was a need to tell people - even periodically - that there's nothing new to tell them. It just doesn't register on their radar to do something that appears to have no value from where they are sitting.

This is not to suggest that you're pov isn't valid, this is just to make you aware that not everyone thinks the same way on this front. We've known that there's been some revolving door stuff going on in the communications area with Tesla for a couple of years now. We can make some educated guesses as to why this has been an issue from the start and continues to be, and we need look no further than the top of the food chain and consider what kind of person he is, what he believes to have significant value and what does not, his managing style and so on.

- - - Updated - - -

Well if they put themselves between a rock and a hard place it was Elon's own words and timeline estimates that put him there in the first place. Missing deadlines should have consequences. I'm tired of apologizing and feeling like a fool for ever taking his estimates as being remotely accurate.

I believe he's publically acknowledged is over zealous timelines. It's a personal fault and he's aware of it. But like all of us, some habits die hard. I can live with it because he has so much else to offer that I view it as an annoyance more than anything. I've learned to recalibrate timelines, as have many others here.

There have been consequences of missed deadlines and will continue to be, but in the scheme of things, looking to where the puck is going to be rather than where it currently is - there are bigger fish to fry than missed deadlines. And you shouldn't apologize for someone else's mistake/s, that's not your responsibility. :wink:

Let me give you another perspective so you might be able to understand that not everyone thinks as you do. Some people, such as yourself, appreciate periodic updates even if those updates contain zero information. Hi, nothing new to report, blah, blah blah, bye.

But there is another group of people (like engineering types, but not exclusively) who simply wouldn't think there was a need to tell people - even periodically - that there's nothing new to tell them. It just doesn't register on their radar to do something that appears to have no value from where they are sitting.

This is not to suggest that you're pov isn't valid, this is just to make you aware that not everyone thinks the same way on this front. We've known that there's been some revolving door stuff going on in the communications area with Tesla for a couple of years now. We can make some educated guesses as to why this has been an issue from the start and continues to be, and we need look no further than the top of the food chain and consider what kind of person he is, what he believes to have significant value and what does not, his managing style and so on.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe he's publically acknowledged is over zealous timelines. It's a personal fault and he's aware of it. But like all of us, some habits die hard. I can live with it because he has so much else to offer that I view it as an annoyance more than anything. I've learned to recalibrate timelines, as have many others here.

There have been consequences of missed deadlines and will continue to be, but in the scheme of things, looking to where the puck is going to be rather than where it currently is - there are bigger fish to fry than missed deadlines. And you shouldn't apologize for someone else's mistake/s, that's not your responsibility. :wink:

I'm not disagreeing with anything you said. I also don't want them to rush a bad product to market...like anyone on this board. I'm suggesting that the tone of this launch reads a bit arrogant...is the way it's starting to appear. Sort of like here I'm turning in my homework late. Trust me, it's great. You don't need to see it...but it's really great. Which would play better in other circumstances. I can't afford an X myself, but I can understand the frustration of people who are trying to decide on one. It seems more like Tesla is trying to win the best kept secret award instead of selling better cars.

Again this board is falling into the trap of thinking that product news (folding seats) is going to move the stock. How many D announcements do we have to go through before we learn that the stock makes sustained moves on financial news---not product news?

Again, it's not just the product news itself -- it's the impact the news ultimately has on turning reservations into paid orders. That has all kinds of consequences for earnings, meeting guidance, and cash flow, which ARE financial news.

I know it sounds crazy. But could it be that the second row seats can be removed completely from the car with ease? That should create enough cargo room for the rare occasions one needs that space.

This makes a lot more sense than the baseless assumption that Tesla overlooked something important for many people.

Anticitizen is harping on this baseless assumption for no reason. We'll find out all the information in less than 2 weeks. I'd strongly urge waiting until then before drawing any conclusions.

This is worse than when bloggers were trying to find reasons why people wouldn't buy the next iPhone. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
This makes a lot more sense than the baseless assumption that Tesla overlooked something important for many people.

Anticitizen is harping on this baseless assumption for no reason. We'll find out all the information in less than 2 weeks. I'd strongly urge waiting until then before drawing any conclusions.

Again, this is based on information provided by a reservation holder who asked specific questions to the North American sales team (reference: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...e-second-row-seats-fold-flat-If-so-how/page26). I acknowledge the possibility that the information provided by NASales could be incorrect or incomplete.

I do not advise making any share transactions now based on any of this. I do advise people to be wary if (1) they have short term positions and (2) the seat rumor turns out to be true.

This is worse than when bloggers were trying to find reasons why people wouldn't buy the next iPhone. :rolleyes:

Because: 16GB. Display too small. Display too large. Ugly antennae lines on the back. iOS looks like Jony Ive tripped on LSD. Sam Sung AMOLED displays look nicer. Apps refreshing too often because of 1GB of RAM :cursing:. Space Gray is not dark enough. The bezels are too thick. Phone too thin. PPI too low. Camera lens sticks out. Phone bends. Power button on opposite side of volume buttons. Battery life on 4.7" model didn't improve.

I know all the reasons. They can be found on Mac Rumors forum. Link: http://forums.macrumors.com/forums/iphone.99/

:biggrin:

Because of all the concerns shown in this forum today, I am optimistic about a positive share price response to the Model X reveal. Today's comments about the 2nd row of seats confirms that many TMC Investor Thread members and the general investor world as well harbor concerns about the Model X reveal being a success. In other words, a successful reveal of Model X is not already priced in. I would be terribly surprised if Tesla has not made provisions for hauling large items. With an innovative row of seats, there's more than one way to accommodate large items other than the folding of the seats. The seats themselves can get out of the way. I have confidence that Tesla will offer a solution to the concerns expressed, and I strongly suspect that the stock will respond nicely when investors realize that the Model X looks amazingly good compared to the competition.

Last edited:
Today's comments about the 2nd row of seats confirms that TMC Investor Thread members and the general investor world as well harbor concerns about the Model X being a success. In other words, a successful reveal of Model X is not already priced in.

I agree, and also add that it's not just the reveal that's not priced it. The production ramp up isn't priced in either.

Model X has been delayed so long that there's real skepticism about Tesla's ability to deliver. 2 years is a long time in tech land. If Tesla does deliver in quantity and it's great, there will likely be substantial upside.

I just threw the idea (of removable 2nd row seats) in there, to see what more knowledgeable people think. That was just a speculation, to be sure. The fact that the 2nd row seats cannot fold flat seems verified by Tesla sales.

I agree with most here, that Tesla should reveal the full specs so people can check those out before confirming their orders and plunking down over $100K. It doesn't seem reasonable to expect the customers to confirm without these vital information. May be, Tesla is not quite ready yet for the X launch.

Again. Different frames of reference. I don't agree with your opinion and you don't agree with mine. OK.

I agree with most here, that Tesla should reveal the full specs so people can check those out before confirming their orders and plunking down over $100K. It doesn't seem reasonable to expect the customers to confirm without these vital information. May be, Tesla is not quite ready yet for the X launch.

One more time...nobody is confirming their Model X order who does not want to. Sig reservationists who do not need more or all the information (for whatever reasons) are being given the opportunity to confirm (in order), all other Sig reservationists (in order) have the option to defer. Is there some other way I need to say that for people to comprehend?

- - - Updated - - -

Again. Different frames of reference. I don't agree with your opinion and you don't agree with mine. OK.

No, it's not really okay for someone to think an answer being given that they don't like is somehow the definition poor communication.

Poor communication is when the message is garbled or ambiguous. Definitely not the case here. Poor communication is when the receiver of the information isn't listening, is judgmental or filters the message through their pov. Poor communication is when either party is overly emotional. Poor communication is when the sender of the information attacks the receiver.

One more time...nobody is confirming their Model X order who does not want to. Sig reservationists who do not need more or all the information (for whatever reasons) are being given the opportunity to confirm (in order), all other Sig reservationists (in order) have the option to defer. Is there some other way I need to say that for people to comprehend?

- - - Updated - - -

No, it's not really okay for someone to think an answer being given that they don't like is somehow the definition poor communication.

Poor communication is when the message is garbled or ambiguous. Definitely not the case here. Poor communication is when the receiver of the information isn't listening, is judgmental or filters the message through their pov. Poor communication is when either party is overly emotional. Poor communication is when the sender of the information attacks the receiver.

you win