Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Reveal Not Likely at Detroit Auto Show

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SteveG3

Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2012
US
Article mentions Elon is not at the show... unless there's a bit of gamesmanship going on, looks like we'll have to wait for a Model X reveal. Does not look like any change in launch timing.

Better than average reporting, comments from Jerome Guillen and Diarmuid O'Connell.

Detroit auto show: Tesla and GM in race for an affordable electric car | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

I think Tesla may have something up their sleeve on what we expect the X to be that will be well worth waiting to see.

To be fair, it says Elon is not "expected" to be there. I'm not expecting Model X either, but a couple comments around the forum suggest it could still be a surprise.

Also, after reading the comments from auto industry execs in the Automotive News article, Reuss' comments are strikingly different. That's a good sign for EV supporters.

Better than average reporting, comments from Jerome Guillen and Diarmuid O'Connell.

Yep. And still it ends on:

Musk “wants to expand it into different sized vehicles, but this is really capital-intensive,” said Dave Sullivan, an analyst with AutoPacific. “There has to be some breakthrough in batteries for them to start making money. We’ve been having battery cars for the last hundred-plus years, and nobody’s been able to make a breakthrough, so I’m not holding my breath that there’s going to be one in the next 10 years, either.”

I'm always baffled by these kinds of statements: "Just because water hasn't started freezing when it gradually got colder all the way down from the 90s why would it freeze now that we will hit the 20s?"

All breakthrough technology that gets incrementally better is always worse than the status quo, until one day suddenly it isn't. Costs of batteries are coming down, costs of ICE technology stay pretty stable. It doesn't really take a genius to figure out that one day batteries will be in every car provided costs continue to drop like the did over the past 10 years.