Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model X 2017 Review – Car Reviews, News & Advice - carsales.com.au

Seems to show that Tesla is still having problems with the back doors. How common is this?

"After a morning’s repeated use, the driver’s side rear door on our test model failed to open to its full height while the motor struggled and seemed under load. Locking the car and restarting the ignition cycle did seem to kick the door back into action but the motor remained on an intermittent go-slow."​

3 weeks in and no, i have not had that problem with the doors at all. They have been very reliable and i am not over them as these car journalists seem to think will happen.
if i want to throw something in the back i do that via the boot/trunk. Its not so hard.
And get the white seats if you want light and airy, i am very happy with them, easy to clean and really lighten the interior.

3 weeks in and no, i have not had that problem with the doors at all. They have been very reliable and i am not over them as these car journalists seem to think will happen.
if i want to throw something in the back i do that via the boot/trunk. Its not so hard.
And get the white seats if you want light and airy, i am very happy with them, easy to clean and really lighten the interior.
KT are you having any issues with the front doors? Mine have a mind of their own. Either violently opening or opening only 3 inches. DS says known problem and to wait for software upgrade, but I am not so sure. They are going to damage themselves or another car if it is not fixed soon, and I don't see others having the same issue..

KT are you having any issues with the front doors? Mine have a mind of their own. Either violently opening or opening only 3 inches. DS says known problem and to wait for software upgrade, but I am not so sure. They are going to damage themselves or another car if it is not fixed soon, and I don't see others having the same issue..

Can you switch off the self opening function and open the doors by hand until the software update is available?

I never had the open on approach with key function on. Always off. No issues with the front doors, i am very confident in them, they appear to have great sensors and havent bumped into anything yet. If they open narrow due to another car, thats fine, i Then manually open the next inch or so so i can get in, exactly as i would with a normal car door, holding it as i get in to stop it bumping the other car or obstacle.
If they dont sense anything they open a nice width and dont appear violent to me.

The only 'issue' is if i am on an angle, the downhill door wont close, it will open wider. Once i figured that out it just means i manually pull it as i push to close so that i help it against gravity and all is fine. But my ice doors were very heavy and would do this too. So i dont see it as an issue, it physics.

The only 'issue' is if i am on an angle, the downhill door wont close, it will open wider. Once i figured that out it just means i manually pull it as i push to close so that i help it against gravity and all is fine.
^^ this sounds similar except in my case the "open wider" is with some force, and if there is an obstacle in the way the door hits it. Do you have the self presenting door option? I don't so no option to turn doors off. Have referred problem back to Tesla and now await their response.

A question for AP2 owners. How is the 60/80 recognition with the new 20/20 vision? I am on AP1 and it is still 50/50 if it reads 80 as 60 or 80. Also can you detect 25 zones at schools or roadworks? My AP1 just ignores them.
I do not think mine is utilising anything as yet. Seems to be all geomapped for now. Lots of sections road where it is not correct and I have passed multiple road signs.

I never had the open on approach with key function on. Always off. No issues with the front doors, i am very confident in them, they appear to have great sensors and havent bumped into anything yet. If they open narrow due to another car, thats fine, i Then manually open the next inch or so so i can get in, exactly as i would with a normal car door, holding it as i get in to stop it bumping the other car or obstacle.
If they dont sense anything they open a nice width and dont appear violent to me.

The only 'issue' is if i am on an angle, the downhill door wont close, it will open wider. Once i figured that out it just means i manually pull it as i push to close so that i help it against gravity and all is fine. But my ice doors were very heavy and would do this too. So i dont see it as an issue, it physics.
Hi KT, we have exactly your experience - back doors generally fine. Occasionally don't fully open but that seems to be if someone is standing near them (even if not in the way). I've been very impressed in underground carparks by the way. The front doors though don't like it when the car is on any kind of side angle (even road camber sometimes). If the driver's side is up the hill the motor really struggles to open (have actually stopped parking in one usual place because getting the driver's door open to get back in is very hard - the motor whirrs but really doesn't like being manually pulled opened when the door doesn't get more than a cm or two open (we have auto present off permanently so I can only imagine it being worse with auto opening as the door would have closed again before the driver got there). Ditto for closing a front door opened on the downhill side, the motor doesn't work and then it takes a lot of effort to pull the door to override the default of door swinging back to full open. Paradoxically perhaps, we have had no back door issues on slopes.

A question for AP2 owners. How is the 60/80 recognition with the new 20/20 vision? I am on AP1 and it is still 50/50 if it reads 80 as 60 or 80. Also can you detect 25 zones at schools or roadworks? My AP1 just ignores them.
Mine seems ok. Also drove though a school 40 zone with a 60 just in front of it on a Saturday to see what would do. Picked it up as 60. But as @NovoCasGreeny says perhaps its geomapped.
@Oz Will not had it that bad yet, but husband seems to think it has potential for that problem. If that does happen i will log it with service, it should open the door. Thats important, especially since we dont have summon yet so we can't externally move the car to a better door location.

Mine seems ok. Also drove though a school 40 zone with a 60 just in front of it on a Saturday to see what would do. Picked it up as 60. But as @NovoCasGreeny says perhaps its geomapped.
@Oz Will not had it that bad yet, but husband seems to think it has potential for that problem. If that does happen i will log it with service, it should open the door. Thats important, especially since we dont have summon yet so we can't externally move the car to a better door location.
Re the doors, as with many things, I'm hopeful the next update will improve it. At least easily managed by parking in a level spot (and Melb is not that hilly :)). Re the speed limit, in Melbourne the system is pretty hopeless to be frank. Often wrong - and not just on variable speed roads (eg local shopping strip has been 40 between 8am and midnight 7/7 for 5 years+ and yet the MX still thinks it is a 60 zone during the day, in another place it says 70 in a place that was lowered to 60 in May last year, in another says 100 on a road that has been 80 for about 2 years. I just assume we have maps loaded that are out of date and waiting for an upgrade I assume is due soon. In any event, easy to see why they have sensibly disabled AP2 here for now.

More concerning though is that AP1, such as it is enabled (my autosteering "beta mode" is no mode at all), does odd things too. Four times now on freeways (eg Monash inbound under High St Glen Iris, and twice on Eastlink on the way to/from the Mornington Peninsula under different e-tag gantries and once on the open road, but 3 of the 4 times has been when under a bridge or gantry, it has falsely auto detected a car in front (flashing a red imaginary vehicle, beeped loudly and braked. I've had to hit the accelerator quickly to avoid the risk of being rear ended. Net effect is I am now only using "adaptive cruise control" (what it should be called here) on roads without overhead gantries (the Calder to Castlemaine is fine, by comparison). I am eagerly awaiting the next update. Anyway, "First World problems" as the car is so much fun, AP is a slow burn technology, and I have 100% confidence that unlike any other make out there, our cars will get better with age. I sure couldn't say that of the XC90 the Model X replaced.

Ah yes, i do have the self presenting door option. (Athough i have it disabled atm) I wonder if that makes a difference. Yes speaking to tesla is probably the best option.
Car back from Tesla after 5 days. Turns out I am one of 3 people (in Sydney at least) that share the same issue. Doors that spontaneously open into other parked vehicles. (And no I don't have PUP). Been told the US know about it and that a software fix will be forthcoming. They don't seem to patch software releases as such. I am on 17.5.28 which is a fair bit behind US cars. Anyone in Australia on anything more recent?

I've had to hit the accelerator quickly to avoid the risk of being rear ended. Net effect is I am now only using "adaptive cruise control" (what it should be called here) on roads without overhead gantries (the Calder to Castlemaine is fine, by comparison). I am eagerly awaiting the next update. Anyway, "First World problems" as the car is so much fun, AP is a slow burn technology, and I have 100% confidence that unlike any other make out there, our cars will get better with age. I sure couldn't say that of the XC90 the Model X replaced.

Careful going over the crests of hills too - I've had rapid breaking when on TACC. I think it detects objects (clouds, or trees) as other cars when going over the crest.

Car back from Tesla after 5 days. Turns out I am one of 3 people (in Sydney at least) that share the same issue. Doors that spontaneously open into other parked vehicles. (And no I don't have PUP). Been told the US know about it and that a software fix will be forthcoming. They don't seem to patch software releases as such. I am on 17.5.28 which is a fair bit behind US cars. Anyone in Australia on anything more recent?
Sadly my X has been back with Tesla for the last 12 days. They have now had it longer than I have. Hopefully they can fix the front door issue and the unpredictable hill hold problem and I can get to enjoy my car. In the meantime, the loan Model S they have provided is magnificent, so I remain depressed, but hopeful..

What is the Australian experience with the Model X windscreen? Are people getting tinting or using the Tesla shade?
It is quite heavily tinted above eyeline anyway (to the point my kids think is too much and does in fact detract from the feeling of space you'd get if it wasn't so tinted. Living in Melbourne, we didnt get extra tinting and haven't even used the detachable sunshades yet (and Feb had some high 30s days), but UV max is now only around 8, so in QLD it may be a very different story.