Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sadly my X has been back with Tesla for the last 12 days. They have now had it longer than I have. Hopefully they can fix the front door issue and the unpredictable hill hold problem and I can get to enjoy my car. In the meantime, the loan Model S they have provided is magnificent, so I remain depressed, but hopeful..
Rotten luck. We don't have steep hills where we live so haven't experienced a hill hold issue, but I'll be alert to one.

Re updates, we are the same and I think we are all on the same update, so will be good to get the next one. My "interesting" latest issue is that when I park in our garage and turn on charging via the app, it then has a connection failure (too weak a mobile signal I think once the battery starts charging, but enough signal when not charging). Not really an issue until I accidentally turned on cooling (set to "lo") while away one night just as it started charging and then I couldn't turn off the cooling until the next morning when the charging had completed and I could then re-establish the connection... No harm done to the car, but used electricity I'd have rather not have wasted...

Re the tinting, i live in Qld and i just have the factory tint. The tesla shades are still in the froot (frunk) unused. The factory tinting is perfectly acceptable and very very good at taking the heat out of the sun. We were pleasantly surprised how good it is.

Re the tinting, i live in Qld and i just have the factory tint. The tesla shades are still in the froot (frunk) unused. The factory tinting is perfectly acceptable and very very good at taking the heat out of the sun. We were pleasantly surprised how good it is.
We are in WA and agree. I was initially concerned prior to delivery with regards to the sun coming through the expansive roof as I am extremely sensitive to sun, but was positively surprised with the effectiveness of the tinting. Haven't used the shades provided.
Travelling down south through the tall Karri trees was spectacular.

Sadly my X has been back with Tesla for the last 12 days. They have now had it longer than I have. Hopefully they can fix the front door issue and the unpredictable hill hold problem and I can get to enjoy my car. In the meantime, the loan Model S they have provided is magnificent, so I remain depressed, but hopeful..
Another week passes and my X is still with the dealer. I have now had my loaner Model S longer than I have had my purchased Model X. No communication from Tesla for a week now. I know forums are supposed to be a supportive community, but if anyone is reading this and has not purchased a Tesla please think twice. I have paid 200k for a car that is undriveable. There is not sufficient communication from the company, and I am days away from getting really upset. I am glad there are people on this forum that are really enjoying their car, but my experience has been completely woeful.

Another week passes and my X is still with the dealer. I have now had my loaner Model S longer than I have had my purchased Model X. No communication from Tesla for a week now. I know forums are supposed to be a supportive community, but if anyone is reading this and has not purchased a Tesla please think twice. I have paid 200k for a car that is undriveable. There is not sufficient communication from the company, and I am days away from getting really upset. I am glad there are people on this forum that are really enjoying their car, but my experience has been completely woeful.
I have found that a little leaping up and down and yelling will get you moved up the queue, Shouldn't be necessary however.

Tesla having your Model X for such a long time is certainly not acceptable, public relations is everything, if they can't fix the issue at this time Tesla should just front up with some honesty.
Is the problem still with the door sensors? Are they waiting for parts or a software update?

Doors and hill hold. My wife is in tears and has lost all confidence in driving the car because of its unpredictable behaviour. No idea what they are waiting for as they are maintaining radio silence. They will certainly know about PR (and lawyers sadly) if this continues much longer. Its not my preferred method of redress, but I am giving them every chance to do the right thing. 15 days in my garage 23 days in theirs and counting.

Last edited:
Doors and hill hold. My wife is in tears and has lost all confidence in driving the car because of its unpredictable behaviour. No idea what they are waiting for as they don't talk to me. They will certainly know about PR (and lawyers sadly) if this continues much longer. Its not my preferred method of redress, but I am giving them every chance to do the right thing. 15 days in my garage 23 days in theirs and counting.
Really disappointing. The Melb DS and service lady (re our towbar) have been nothing but super responsive, so I suspect there may be a lot going on in the background, but they should be keeping you informed. Also, given the time, at least give you an X as the loaner - we have 4 kids, so if ever we need a loaner, it will have to be an X, and then if they can't fix the original (and maybe they can't for some reason without a trip back to the US???) Then build you a new one and keep your old one as a demo - if they can't repair it then they need to replace is my understanding of their Consumer Law obligations.

Car back from Tesla late last week. Aside from the time taken, in every other respect I can't fault the Sydney customer service. They went above and beyond in a couple of areas that I really appreciated. Car has been faultless since I collected it. In fairness to them, I did not want to leave this thread with the negative sentiment expressed in my previous post. Loving the car. Faith restored.

And this week Tesla's market cap exceeded Ford's for the first time reaching $49.5B. Truly astounding.

• Informative
Reactions: alexeiw123
I just saw this thread- my X has been brilliant! The falcon wing doors operate exactly as per the manual and I have grown to like them very much.
The front door sensors are amazing and have never allowed contact. Yes the doors are floppy but like KT I just manage them accordingly. No wind, level they are great.
The windscreen tinting is great, even for Queensland. I do use the sunshade but it's not necessary. I just tinted the front door windows.
My windscreen has to be replaced due ghosting.
Awesome vehicle!

Similar to us. Especially the recent version updates. Autopilot is now working really well, doors are fine. Makes freeway driving a breeze and even in a thunderstorm this afternoon, worked brilliantly. We've just put in 3 phase power too, so charging circa 90km range per hour at home. Not expensive to install (vs the cost of the car) and means no need to visit the local supercharger on Saturday night in between country drives on Sat and Sun. If only Tesla made a minivan as we need more boot space with 4 kids for long trips (other car is a vw minivan for that reason). Maybe 2025? Also, we're still waiting for the towbar (for our bike trailer).

Hi guys, I'm still contemplating getting a Model X, but stories like this are negatively impacting my decision.

Is this vehicle really a "lemon"? or something inherent in the "Model X DNA"??

My Model X 90D Driver Side Falcon door opened on Freeway driving 65mph with my 6 y.o. sitting next to it • r/teslamotors

I am amazed at the number of complaints on social media. I think there is a degree of reporting bias. Owners are much more likely to rant about their squeaky FWD than post that all is well. My own X-perience has been fantastic. One or 2 small issues that were fixed in a single visit by the ranger. I have also had an S for a few years and had some problems with the door handles. This was a little harder to fix as at the time there was no SC and no ranger but at the latest visit the ranger also addressed these issues. All under warranty and no questions asked. Of course this is a high tech vehicle with a lot of innovation (FWD, auto presenting and closing doors etc) so more things to go wrong. I remember my parents in the 80s being reluctant to buy a car with power window option because they felt it was a mechanical liability should it break. Now I think you would be hard pressed to buy a new car without power windows. For me one of the best things is the fact that my car keeps getting better. Even though my S is AP1 i am still getting updates and improvements and i can't wait for AP2 to approach full autonomy.

• Informative
Reactions: PaulW and baillies
We've had our X since the beginning of Feb and done 8,500kms in it with no door issues at all other than an initial issue with front doors not opening easily when parked on a side slope, that a software fix in early March has long solved. The FWD open well, sense solid objects and make getting into the 3rd row (we have 4 kids) way easier than our old XC90. Like any car doors, people standing in the way (vs solid objects) when they open means they will touch you before they stop ( but they do stop quickly) and likewise, I would never put a finger or hand in the way of them closing, so why people post videos of that kind of you thing with zucchinis beats me - no one sensible does that with normal car doors either. And kids love them and they are way better in the rain (unless there is a 100kmh wind, in which case no door will keep you dry).

The things to be aware of re Tesla's are that real world range is about 20% less than the rated range (people do not drive at 77kmh on freeways which is what the US distance rating assumes) and you need to plan long trips more (but there are lots of destination chargers and Powerpoints if needed). Autopilot is not yet full self driving and not that useful on suburban streets (a fun party trick to impress your friends, but very much still in beta mode) but it genuinely makes freeway driving much easier (esp in heavy traffic). So, if you want to be transported 10 years into the future, get the white upholstery, ask the car to choose some good music and go for a glide (which is what it often feels like as you silently accelerate)... oh,and the biggest difference is that the car just gets better and better with each software upgrade - it is so unlike any other car (where it is all downhill from the moment you leave the dealer). So, it isn't perfect by any means, but I can't imagine wanting to buy a petrol car ever again.

We had the pleasure of inspecting our MX in Melbourne two weeks ago. It has the matte seat backs, flush FWD switches and shallower push in door handles. The multi pattern seats look and feel really good (coming from full leather Landcruiser 200 VX) and I had concerns the all black interior might be too much but i was wrong. The fit and finish is vastly improved and comparable to the Mercedes C200 loaner Tesla has given us until our new baby arrives in Perth on July 18.

Unfortunately, our car needed a precautionary battery swap done before delivery due to a potential batch fault. Our car hadn't displayed any problems and Tesla were been overly cautious. I was of course upset in the delay, however, Tesla arranged a top end loaner (as we'd sold the 'Cruiser in preparation and were down a family car), air-freighted over a new 600kg battery and re-invoiced me the new lower pricing (as a goodwill gesture) since our car was more expensive when ordered in Feb. Can't argue with that as I doubt any other vehicle manufacturer would even come close. We will be about three weeks behind our scheduled delivery date.

So sorry PaulW, not an irritating issue but hopefully balances up the ledger. Pay your $3K deposit and get on board ;)

Reactions: *KT* and BenT
Thanks Jayson for the update with the positive experience.
Since half the year has gone, I'm thinking first quarter 2018; that way my finances will be in a better position.
BTW, I'm glad I haven't rushed in, as the newer 5 seat version is a vast improvement, meaning more available space come market day.
Was thinking white exterior with white seats.