Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Ride Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 60D X on 20' Latitude tire is comfortable in most of the case under standard setting and quite similar to my golf 6 gt with lowered suspension, good handling. However,in some cases, the car is quite bouncy if the crossing lane, i believe that it may due to the long wheelbase, some address it to the stiffness of the upper part of the frame.
Not sure if 4C stands for something else, but I was just asking if the guys Alfa Romeo was a 4C.

I'll chime in though, the Q7 I had was a boat and a better ride than my X, but only because it's damped differently. The RRS I had also rode better, even on 22" wheels, but it's also because the suspension and dampeners are developed to be that way. To my knowledge, Tesla just uses a standard setting and that's it.

I think my X100D with 20" wheels rides very similarly to my old 2001 Porsche Carrera 4, firm and well controlled. Definitely on the sportier side rather than "luxury". I love it. But I've felt the last couple of BMW's we've had were too soft.

There was another thread about this (might have been for the S though) that found interior buffeting from a loose rear hatch flexing over bumps was a big contributor to the headrest vibration problem. The solution was to adjust the rubber stops on the hatch, particularly at the mid-points.

I think my X100D with 20" wheels rides very similarly to my old 2001 Porsche Carrera 4, firm and well controlled. Definitely on the sportier side rather than "luxury". I love it. But I've felt the last couple of BMW's we've had were too soft.

There was another thread about this (might have been for the S though) that found interior buffeting from a loose rear hatch flexing over bumps was a big contributor to the headrest vibration problem. The solution was to adjust the rubber stops on the hatch, particularly at the mid-points.

my right head rest noise was so bad i've had to have it tightened down. they say if it makes noise again that they will replace the entire chair for me as it's an assembly...?

Last edited:
My 2016 Model X P90D with 20-inch Michelin GreenX 220 Latitude Sport 3s (255/45R20 in the front and 275/45R20 in the back) has a constant subtle "thunkety thunkety thunkety" vibration coming from the wheels, even on brand new smooth pavement. I'm hoping that when I replace those Michelins with Conti-Silent tires, that will go away. But since every Model S I've ever driven has this same annoying "thunkety-thunk" from about 35-50 mph, I'm not optimistic. At least in the Model X it's less noticeable than in the Model S, but the speed range when it occurs is greater (about 40-80 mph). My service center has had a difficult time verifying the problem because every freeway and side street near the shop is in horrible condition.

My 2016 Model X P90D with 20-inch Michelin GreenX 220 Latitude Sport 3s (255/45R20 in the front and 275/45R20 in the back) has a constant subtle "thunkety thunkety thunkety" vibration coming from the wheels, even on brand new smooth pavement. I'm hoping that when I replace those Michelins with Conti-Silent tires, that will go away. But since every Model S I've ever driven has this same annoying "thunkety-thunk" from about 35-50 mph, I'm not optimistic.
I have driven at least 6 Model S in the past 4 years and have never heard a "thunkety-thunk" sound except on roads with regularly spaced expansion joints where it was obvious they were the cause of the noise.

That's a nice complement for our MX's based on your Carrera 4 experience. It's my first luxury car and unbelieveable handling.

That's a nice complement for our MX's based on your Carrera 4 experience. It's my first luxury car and unbelieveable handling.

perhaps it's because it's actually just an expensive "Premium" car rather than a "Luxury" car which are usually far more squishy and have more creature comforts... :)

i'm coming from a Lexus that had rear reclining seats with massage and a fridge...lol

A few comments:

I find the ride on my 22 inch rims on my P100D Model X to be outstanding.. One of my other cars is a 2016 BMW Model X6 performance package with 19 inch rims. My children immediately noticed the improved ride. No problems with the headrest in the passenger seat. My wife snored for an hour on the way home from Fourth of July celebrations.

I find the steering to be spot on, the seats to be comfortable, and the interior space to be outstanding.

To the original poster:

I suggested buy a pea, place it under several mattresses, and ask your wife to sleep there. If she wakes up with a bruise, then we will know that you have the fairest princess in the land. ;-)~

Personally, I believe that any vehicle that prevents one's wife from entering should be regarded as its own noise reduction device. I believe the original poster is looking a gift horse in the mouth. YMMV.

Ciao,

T

Reactions: Ruffles
My X on 20" rides like a dream. I fell asleep a couple times while using AP because it's so darn smooth! :)
I dislike the driver/passenger seats though because the sides curve up and in, trying to hug the body. I'm not a big guy, 5'9" 175lbs, but the seats feel small to me because of that. My flattish minivan seats feel much softer/comfortable. It's all subjective of course.

Interesting bordering on hilarious to read the range of responses to the OP. "Ride quality" is a subjective judgement. Like aesthetics.
I have had my Model X 90D with 20 inch wheels and Continental tires for 3 months and 3000 miles. The ride quality is very rough
17k on my x and still drives fabulously and I much prefer it over my previous BMW X5.
The x is the best riding car that I have owned.
Love how the X rides.
I just had a ride in a Model S and it was quite smooth, but I do remember the X test drive being a little more firm.
I agreed with you on the hardness of the ride, We own the x with 20" wheels and it was smooth quite and comfortable. We got a loaner that had 22" wheels and right off the bat It felt like a tank to me. Very heavy drive,
I find the ride a little on the rough side when inflated to 42 PSI specified.
The X ride is not as good as my daughter's little BMW i3 with four tiny tires.
hands down the X is better than my previous 4 BMW X5's and my wife's Porsche Macan.
My car has the 22's and it's a rough/firm ride
I think my X100D with 20" wheels rides very similarly to my old 2001 Porsche Carrera 4, firm and well controlled. Definitely on the sportier side rather than "luxury". I love it.
I have 22"s and don't think the ride is too firm at all but the roads around here are pretty good.
I find the ride on my 22 inch rims on my P100D Model X to be outstanding
My X on 20" rides like a dream. I fell asleep a couple times while using AP because it's so darn smooth!

Reactions: polymathic