Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Road Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No just stock 20”. Same highway as MS and definitely more wind noise and more street noise. While driving , from the passenger side it’s like I can hear most ice engines as I pass them and at a traffic light. Ie. as if one window is open half an inch...but it’s not. Checked all seals and seem good.

That's strange, my X seems very quiet at traffic lights with other cars around. I don't have an MS to compare directly, but certainly doesn't sound like a window is cracked open! Maybe it's just my perception of moving recently from ICE to EV, everything seems very quiet and serene. There is certainly some road and wind noise, but not more than I would expect in a luxury car.

Just picked up our inv 2017 MX 100D today.

Traded in our MS. First thing noted in the first 5 min on the road is how much more road and wind noise there is especially at highway speeds. Is it the windshield that allows this?

I was quite surprised and it caught me off guard.
Anyone ease with both MS and MX have this same issue?

Other than that beautiful!

As someone who still owns both a Model S and Model X, and drives them on the same roads under the same conditions (though obviously not at the same time :) I can confirm that YES, my Model X does transmit more road/wind noise to the passenger compartment than my Model S.

As someone who still owns both a Model S and Model X, and drives them on the same roads under the same conditions (though obviously not at the same time :) I can confirm that YES, my Model X does transmit more road/wind noise to the passenger compartment than my Model S.

That is depressing. I really hoped the X would be quieter. I know the larger - less aerodynamic front compared to the S makes it difficult to make it quieter but I wish they had learned enough from the S to make the X quieter.

I even buckled and compromised with the 20 inch wheels over the 22 inch wheels hoping to improve the noise level.

So basically means I have to suck it up and endure more noise. :( I found Ms louder as it is compared to my previous Lexus. Argh...

Also anyone happen to know how to make the doors open all the way rather than half? Driving the kids and I nuts. Both places had 16’ ceilings and nothing obstructing. Odd!

I currently have studded tires (Michelin Latitude x-ice north lxin2, 20") and on asphalt x has more noise than any EV I have had previously. Chevy Volt, Hyundai Ioniq EV, Nissan Leaf that I had earlier were all whisper quiet compared to this...

It's almost as if X had no design goals with regards to noise. Noise control is pretty much entirely handled with tires, and if those are nonstandard it gets really hairy pretty fast. Luckily here in EU we now have the official tire label stickers with noise level markings, sad I did not think this through when buying this set.

hello,

my be this video from the Ukrainian guys can give some idea about Tesla's quality of the noise insulation by Model X:

For all, who do not understand Russian - it is possible to activate subtitles with automatic google translation.. ;)

Best Regards,
Alexander

Also anyone happen to know how to make the doors open all the way rather than half? Driving the kids and I nuts. Both places had 16’ ceilings and nothing obstructing. Odd!
The center screen shows their travel, and when you open them and they stop part of the way up, you have the option to touch the button at the top of the travel to open them the rest of the way. It will then give you the option to always open fully there based on GPS. Be careful with that option if you could also park nearby where there is obstruction.

Reactions: Destiny1701
The center screen shows their travel, and when you open them and they stop part of the way up, you have the option to touch the button at the top of the travel to open them the rest of the way. It will then give you the option to always open fully there based on GPS. Be careful with that option if you could also park nearby where there is obstruction.

So I my garage the drivers rear door can open fully but the passenger side I’d rather it didn’t as there is shelving etc. Does this option mean both doors or can it be set to one side?

No just stock 20”. Same highway as MS and definitely more wind noise and more street noise. While driving , from the passenger side it’s like I can hear most ice engines as I pass them and at a traffic light. Ie. as if one window is open half an inch...but it’s not. Checked all seals and seem good.

That sounds possibly like the small forward window alignment issue that is something the mobile tech can fix under warranty. Consider having that checked out. Fixing that on mine cut down on a some of my noise issues. However, you will still hear ICE cars engines and truck engines that are loud as if the window were cracked. I've accepted that much. It is the constant road noise on a road with a less than smooth surface (which is the majority of roads in Texas) that drives me batty. I know it is the roads because the noise level rises and fall to a shocking degree when I drive over patches of road that a smooth asphalt then go back to the more typical concrete surface.

To answer an earlier poster - I'm dead certain my 2016 X is FAR noisier than my buddies 2012 LS460. I've ridden on the same roads many many times in both. If I figure out a way to accurately measure it (I tend to agree that a phone app probably isn't all that accurate) I will report it.

That sounds possibly like the small forward window alignment issue that is something the mobile tech can fix under warranty. Consider having that checked out. Fixing that on mine cut down on a some of my noise issues. However, you will still hear ICE cars engines and truck engines that are loud as if the window were cracked. I've accepted that much. It is the constant road noise on a road with a less than smooth surface (which is the majority of roads in Texas) that drives me batty. I know it is the roads because the noise level rises and fall to a shocking degree when I drive over patches of road that a smooth asphalt then go back to the more typical concrete surface.

To answer an earlier poster - I'm dead certain my 2016 X is FAR noisier than my buddies 2012 LS460. I've ridden on the same roads many many times in both. If I figure out a way to accurately measure it (I tend to agree that a phone app probably isn't all that accurate) I will report it.

Guaranteed the Lexus LS is whisper quiet compared to most cars on the road. It’s built like a cocoon...problem is it also handles like one lol!

Thx for the tip. I’ll have the window trim and alignment all checked out.

Last edited:
I have a 2017 MX 100D for about 4 months. Recently I have noticed road noise increase inside my car. So I downloaded a dB app to check the reading and below is what I've found. Do you know if these readings are as expected or need services? Any feedback is appreciated.

Conditions: Turned off radio, Turned off A/C, During day time commute in Northern California (Bay Area).

Idle at the traffic light: ~60 dB
60 mph: ~75 dB
70 mph: ~80 dB
75 mph: ~82 dB

Cabin noise in my MX is so loud when driving on 101 that I have to put the sound system on 4 to drown it out. This is by far the worst complaint I have about the car. Passengers always notice it.

I have a March 2017 build MX. 20” standard rims. Road noise is ok, not great. I was however shocked to ride in a 2016 MX as a service loaner the other week. Way way more wind noise. Felt like a different car. Curious if anyone out there has a new 2019 May build with the new suspension and tires. Is that quieter? It’s does look for luxuries like Tesla has been playing around with seals get the years, so maybe..

I changed on summer tires few days ago and I noticed big wind noise from the rims.

I had 19 " on winter tires and changed to 20" for summer. Its crazy wind noise from the right side of the car and I think it is because the rims on the right side are not aerodynamic as the ones on the left side.
Why tesla would produce this kind of rims

Hopefully when batteries get cheaper they’ll be able to spend some more money on making the interior quieter. Would love to hear from someone with a new suspension. I would strongly consider a trade-in if they were able to knock 10-20db off my highway commute.