Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Road Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone ever add additional door seals to their X? I have a large gap between my FWD and the front pillar. I was thinking of adding a seal there, i think it's a large source for wind noise.

I bought a Digital Sound Measurement device for more quantitive results.

Thinking of doing that... the gap between the front door and falcon wing is pretty big. I can almost see the stickers on the pillar. Only concern I have is it causes any issues with water draining.

Some thoughts. The very low drag numbers on the MX argue against wind noise. But I think you will find that vehicle weight significantly increases tire noise. Since the MX is a very heavy car we get more tire noise and more tire wear. It is physics. But there are sound dampening technologies. I would not be surprised if the new refresh this coming fall dresses this.

I’ve followed a number of these posts with interest as I had the same issue. I had a 2017 X100D and traded it in for a 2021 (pre-refresh) X Long Range Plus. The 2017 was insanely loud with road noise, but the other features made the road noise worth it. The upgraded 2021 was better but still around 80 db at 70-75mph on worn concrete surfaces. You could not have a conversation in the car when driving on that surface. Both cars had the stock 20” tires. I recently replaced the stock tires on my 2021 with Michelin Cross Climate SUV tires and my road noise issues are essentially solved.

Is it as quiet as a Mercedes? No, but it registers around 70 db on worn concrete and even a bit better on other surfaces. For my money, the stock tires are the biggest problem. I just wanted to share this with everyone so if they are up for new tires, they could consider the Michelins for the 20” wheels.

If you are wondering what I’m using for Db meter, it’s just the stock app on my Apple Watch so nothing super scientific, but it at least allows a comparison.

I hope this helps.

They are extremely noisy, likely due to the directional tread. It did get slightly quieter after you put some miles on it, but the moment you put any steering into the car, the tires just roar. The ride is not better than the Oem contis either, I spent the first two weeks trying to figure out what was wrong with the car after the new tires.