Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NorCal to Victoria BC Road Trip - Day 1 - Stopping overnight at Ashland, OR

So far EVTripPlanner has been pretty accurate. I used settings for S90D 21" tires 1.2 Speed Multiplier, 72 cabin temp 101 outside temp and 500lbs payload.

In car trip planner was ready at Corning SpC to go with remaining 6% to reach Mt Shasta SpC. We charged to 16% remaining and made it to Mt Shasta with actual 7% remaining. We needed to have Range Mode On and got warnings to drive slower than 65mph.

This morning is the drive to Seattle, WA and I am concerned with Ashland to Springfield SpC leg. EVTripPlanner is telling me to not stop at Grants Pass SpC but is also telling me I will use 227 miles worth of energy which makes me very nervous. If I stop at Grants Pass, it will still be pretty full so it will be slow charge but maybe it will help to keep me sane. There is nothing between Grants Pass SpC and Springfield SpC, I believe.
upload_2016-7-1_6-41-51.png

Check out PlugShare, there's a number of charging options between Grants Pass and Springfield. If you want to stop and say Hi in Portland, we have a 100amp Tesla wall charger, and it's open since my X hasn't been delivered yet.
@NovemberXray - thanks for the tip. I need to get used to checking plug share..plenty of ChaDeMo chargers showing between Grants Pass and Springfield.

And thanks for the offer to charge at your place. Likely we may not need to.

Picked up my X on Thursday afternoon in Geneva, Switzerland. Was going to drive to southern Sweden that same night but postponed until Friday morning. Put on my Thule roof box with a Sea Sucker paddle board rack. And headed out in the wee hours of Friday morning.

image.jpeg

The guesstimated time for the trip curtesy of Tesla's own NAV was 17hrs apparently not counting for traffic conditions and certainly not counting with my roof box :).

Final time for trip 21hrs! Mostly due to traffic re-routing and sundry. The roof box and speed through Germany gave me an acceptable 20% penalty so I charged with that in mind. Stopping twice more instead of charging longer each time. I calculated this would be less of a time loss since the faster charging at lower starting point. The only unknown performance was between Hamburg (Braak SuC) and southern Denmark (Nørre SuC) which seems to be a long way on the map but turned out to be a no worries at all with the ferry being a bigger electron saver than initially thought. The whole trip I was averaging about 310kw/km with long stretches just bellow the 300 mark.

Now I'm in southern Sweden for a couple of days and then we head up to Stockholm.

To be continued......... :)

Picked up my X on Thursday afternoon in Geneva, Switzerland. Was going to drive to southern Sweden that same night but postponed until Friday morning. Put on my Thule roof box with a Sea Sucker paddle board rack. And headed out in the wee hours of Friday morning.

View attachment 183834

The guesstimated time for the trip curtesy of Tesla's own NAV was 17hrs apparently not counting for traffic conditions and certainly not counting with my roof box :).

Final time for trip 21hrs! Mostly due to traffic re-routing and sundry. The roof box and speed through Germany gave me an acceptable 20% penalty so I charged with that in mind. Stopping twice more instead of charging longer each time. I calculated this would be less of a time loss since the faster charging at lower starting point. The only unknown performance was between Hamburg (Braak SuC) and southern Denmark (Nørre SuC) which seems to be a long way on the map but turned out to be a no worries at all with the ferry being a bigger electron saver than initially thought. The whole trip I was averaging about 310kw/km with long stretches just bellow the 300 mark.

Now I'm in southern Sweden for a couple of days and then we head up to Stockholm.

Thanks for sharing and posting the great picture. First time I've seen a cargo box on a Model X, good to know it's possible. I'm assuming that you had no rear passengers since that would have disabled the Falcon Wing doors. Did the car detect the "obstacle" on the roof and disable the doors, or did you just have to be careful not to open them? Were you able to open the rear hatch with no clearance issues with the box in that position?

The Model X is not a small car, and with only 2 or less passengers, I'm curious what you had to haul that you needed the box?

. Did the car detect the "obstacle" on the roof and disable the doors, or did you just have to be careful not to open them? Were you able to open the rear hatch with no clearance issues with the box in that position?

The Model X is not a small car, and with only 2 or less passengers, I'm curious what you had to haul that you needed the box?

The car detected the roof box and let me unlock the door but they did not move. I could just re lock from the screen.

When you travel with the summer vacation luggage and your three large dogs then you need all the space you can get....... Also the roof box was to make sure it works. Just bought a new narrower one so I can open one of the falcon doors. That works fine as well. And again the covered door unlocks but does not move and can therefore be re-locked again from the central screen. And now the kids can pile in in the middle and the dogs still in th back

Summary
We drove 4833.2 miles in 12 days from California to North Dakota and back through 9 different states. The Model X drove flawlessly and very comfortably. Average KWh/Mile was 337.

Background
My wife and I needed to be in Jamestown North Dakota for a family event. Since getting the Model X, we wanted to take an extended driving trip to really get to know the car and have some fun. We had extra days before the event so we chose a longer route to get there so we could minimize the duplicate terrain. Coming home was another story since we wanted to be back before the 4th of July.

Planning
We used several tools to plan the trip. First we used www.evtripplanner.com to plan a route through the superchargers. By default, EV Trip Planner will choose the most direct route which wasn't the goal for the out-bound trip. To get around this we chose supercharger locations in targeted cities, such as Las Vegas, as intermediate destinations to force a different route. Once we had a good route, we switched to Microsoft Streets and Trips. We imported the supercharger locations into Streets and Trips so we could select them as stops along the route. We then used Streets and Trips to plan the days, stops for the night, etc. During the trip, we entered the night destination into the navigation system and let the car pick the route and necessary charging stops. One interesting point is that in a couple of cases, the car chose a different route than EV Trip Planner.

Charging
We stopped at a total of 38 superchargers and one destination charger (twice). Since there are no superchargers in North Dakota (yet) we had to play some games to make our final destination. We found a destination charger in Aberdeen South Dakota that was 100 miles south of Jamestown, ND - our final destination. We did a range charge at the Aberdeen location and drove under the speed limit to Jamestown to make sure we'd have enough to get back. During the drive up I told my wife that we were giving BEVs a bad name by driving below the speed limit! Once we got to Jamestown, we noticed there were block-warmer outlets in the hotel parking lot where our family was staying so we plugged into the 120 volt plug for the 6 hours we were in town. Between this and the slow driving, we had plenty of range to get back to Aberdeen. This was the only range anxiety that we had the entire trip.

By default, the car will tell you that you can continue your trip at each supercharger when the expected state of charge at the next charger (or final destination) is 10%. We never left that early, instead charging until the expected SOC was between 20 and 25%. There were a couple of legs where we had significant headwinds so having the extra SOC was worth it. For example, driving across South Dakota at 80 MPH against a strong headwind definitely sucks the electricity!

I used the Predictive Trip Energy graph to monitor our actual energy consumption against the predicted energy consumption. This really helped to alleviate range anxiety.

For most of our days, we would leave in the morning with enough charge to make the next supercharger. This was usually 90 to 120 minutes of driving. We'd stop and take a bathroom break, check our email, etc., and be ready to move on in the 20-30 minutes it took to charge. Our next stop was again 90-120 minutes later for lunch so we'd usually get more charge than required to get to the next supercharger. After lunch we'd stop again about 90-120 minutes later for our afternoon break and enough charge to get to our destination where we'd normally get a full charge to start the next day. So, three charger stops during the day and one at night meant that we were able to travel about as far and as fast as we used to with our ICE cars. No impact from the BEV!

Autopilot
My wife definitely doesn't like to drive and normally on trips like this I can only get her to drive for an hour each day to allow me to rest and regain my focus. With Autopilot, she never had to drive. Our longest day was 590 miles and I never felt tired and drained at the end of any day.

I used Autopilot for > 90% of my driving. The only times I didn't use it was when the lines were so faint that the car had a hard time maintaining the lane and on excessively windy roads. I used the Traffic Aware Speed Control even more. During the 12 days I learned a lot about the capabilities and limitations of the Autopilot technologies so that I feel very comfortable using it when it's appropriate, and recognize when it's not appropriate. Some examples:
* When approaching a slower car on the freeway, it's best to switch lanes before the car recognizes the slower car. If you wait too long, the car will start to slow down to match the speed of the other car, but then when you do switch lanes, the Model X accelerates rapidly in an effort to "merge" into the other lane. It does this even if no other cars are around. This rapid acceleration was very disconcerting so I tried to avoid it as much as possible.
* If you're in one lane approaching a slower car in another lane, but the road is turning such that the slower car is actually in front of you, the TACC will often slow down (sometimes aggressively) because it's not sure if the slower car is in your lane or not. In these cases, I would cancel Autopilot until I passed the other car.
* If you do leave TACC on while driving on curvy roads the Model X will slow the car for tight turns, but not slow enough for my wife!
* There were several times where the Model X decided to drive left or right for no apparent reason. My guess is that it saw skid marks (or something else) on the road that it misinterpreted as lane markings. In any case, I started leaving my hand lightly on the wheel so I could correct it more quickly when these situations occurred. I suspect this is what happened to those testers that say the Model X tried to kill them.
* The Model X prompts you to hold the wheel often during Autopilot. I found that holding the wheel wasn't sufficient to remove the prompt but that I had to resist the Autopilot steering input slightly. As I mentioned above, I started to consistently hold the wheel lightly but I would still get this prompt.
* Autopilot is by no means an autonomous driving solution. I never took my attention away from the road while driving with Autopilot. What it does is remove the need to constantly monitor my position in the lane and speed down the road. As someone else mentioned, I don't have to keep making micro-corrections to my driving. This frees up my attention to focus on the big items, such as what other cars are doing around me, what's happening down the lane, etc. Every day I arrived at our night's destination with very little fatigue.
* I wish there was a way to cancel Autosteer without cancelling TACC. To cancel just Autosteer, you have to apply enough pressure on the wheel to disable Autosteer. The problem is that when Autosteer does disable, the back pressure is immediately released and you end up jerking the wheel. This can be very unsettling, especially to the passenger who may not expect it.
* I also found that Autosteer would often ride too close to passing traffic. This was especially disconcerting when passing a large semi. If there was a cross wind, the Model X would sometimes shift in the lane towards the semi as the wind was blocked. Again, very disconcerting.

Other Thoughts
I love the windshield! Especially driving through the mountains or attractions the views were spectacular. I was never bothered by the heat, but my wife was not as happy. She ended up putting a windshield spring shade above her head during the hot portions of the trip.

We had the Model X partially wrapped before the trip and I've glad we did. Even so, we took a number of rock hits on both the front fascia and the windshield. But I never meant for this to be a garage queen car, so I'm not going to get stressed about it.

We were a big hit at almost all the stops. We met several Model S cars at the superchargers and most had not seen the Model X yet. Hotels and campgrounds were also opportunities to show off the car. The standard questions were about range, charging, etc.

I must admit that there were several times I was shaking my head thinking that I was driving 80 MPH across a state with a battery electric vehicle! It was unreal.

Conclusions
The Model X is by far the best road car I have ever driven. The seats are super comfortable, the Autopilot makes driving a breeze and the superchargers break the day into manageable chunks. I couldn't be happier!

Thanks, that's an excellent write up. Congrats on your model X! V salient points about the AP - ideal for certain conditions, not so much for others.

A vvv long time ago, we took a family trip from CA to ND. I plan to do this with my son one day (he's 4 now) and the cycle continues, but in an EV, supercharged way. Have yet to figure out X or S, or wait for the 3, but reviews like yours help a lot!

Reactions: Phil Seastrand
* The Model X prompts you to hold the wheel often during Autopilot. I found that holding the wheel wasn't sufficient to remove the prompt but that I had to resist the Autopilot steering input slightly. As I mentioned above, I started to consistently hold the wheel lightly but I would still get this prompt.
* Autopilot is by no means an autonomous driving solution. I never took my attention away from the road while driving with Autopilot. What it does is remove the need to constantly monitor my position in the lane and speed down the road. As someone else mentioned, I don't have to keep making micro-corrections to my driving. This frees up my attention to focus on the big items, such as what other cars are doing around me, what's happening down the lane, etc. Every day I arrived at our night's destination with very little fatigue.
I recent took at 3400 mile trip from IL to MT via Custer, SD for the Tesla Meetup. I drove the entire way with the last 2 days back at 540 miles. I would or could never do that same thing without autopilot. Your autopilot comments were spot on ... especially about the need to monitor your position within the lane/speed and let you do other driving task. I think I drove 95% of the time using auto-pilot and it handled 25 MPH cross winds well.

My experience was that the stalk canceled both and I would immediately do a single pull to get TACC back.

View attachment 183834

That is a beautifully composed picture of a beautiful Model X!

Love the crossing hard/soft line motif with the sun at the edge! Impressive!

Tesla trip report.
Loveland Colorado to Las Vegas Nevada 1700 miles
June 29 2016 to July 3 2016
Loveland, CO
Left home at 90% charge on Wed June 29 at 845am. We drove to Denver Airport to drop off my wife’s mom. Stopped at the Denver SC by Pena Blvd and I-70. 9:56amMT, 62% 78F, 66.7 miles. There were 2 Tesla S’s charging. We showed off our X to one of the Tesla owners. We charged for about 20 minutes to 85%, left around 10:15amMT.
We drove on I-70 West towards the Silverthorn SC. About 3 times turned off Auto-pilot by turning the steering wheel due to other cars/trucks encroaching in my lane. At the top of the pass, 11013 feet, we were at 38%, temperature 66F. Downhill to the Silverthorn SC, arrived around 11:38MT, 41%, 74F, 80.8 miles from Denver SC, 1:23, 420Wh/mi. We had lunch at Silverthorn. The SC is next to Starbucks; the GPS instructions say the SC is on the left, is really on the right. The Silverthorn SC is located next to an Outlet mall. There is a sandwich shop and Chipolte. We shared a sandwich and sat on a bench next to the river; very scenic. This is a very nice location. We charged to 85%, left at 12:16pmMT.

denver.JPG

We then continued towards the Glenwood Springs SC. Just west of Vail a ladder flew out of the back of a pickup truck in the next lane. We were in the left lane (fast lane) in Auto-pilot. The car next to us swerved toward and into our lane in order to miss the ladder. I had my hands on the steering wheel and swerved left which took the Tesla out of Auto-pilot. Arrived at Glenwood Springs SC 1:46pmMT, 54%, 88F, 92.5 miles, 1:30, 266Wh/mi. Total miles 239.2, 80.4Kwh, 336Wh/mi. We charged for about 20 minutes, to 84%.
Grand Junction SC is at the Mesa Mall several miles from the freeway. The GPS is good; just look for a wooden fence at the edge of the parking lot. Arrived at 3:40pm, 44%, 94F, 91.1 miles, 1:22, 346Wh/mi. We charged for about 15 minutes to 68% (a mistake) we should have charged to at least 80% to minimize range anxiety. Left about 3:55pmMT.

denver.JPG

On to Green River SC. We used lots of power, high cross winds. We could not use auto-pilot to change lanes. But Auto-Pilot kept us in our lane. Without auto-pilot it was more difficult to keep car in center of lane since the cross wind were so high. Seemed like we were always going uphill. I slowed down from 85 to 70mph in order to reduce energy consumption. Both ICTP (in car trip planner) and ecTP do not seem to know that the speed limit in Utah is 80mph. I usually set speed control to 5mph over the speed limit. At times the number of miles to Green River exceeded our expected range. Finally we started to head downhill. We arrived at Green River SC at 521pmMT, 11%, 91F, 98.1 miles, 1:20, 454Wh/mi. We had dinner at the Tamarisk restaurant across the street. We plan to stay at the River Terrace hotel on our way back. We charged to 85%.

utah.JPG

green river.JPG

green river charger.JPG

Next stop Richfield, UT SC. 830pm, 16%, 70F, 103.6 miles, 1:26, 383Wh/mi. Right off the freeway, next to the Holiday Inn Express.

richfield.JPG

Next stop Beaver UT SC. 930pm, 34% 64F, 64.9 miles, 429Wh/mi. Average speed about 85mph. Speed limit is 80. We spent the night at the Quality Inn and charged up to 90% before we left at 8am.
beaver.JPG

Next stop St. George UT. 9:34am, 45% 89F, 104.7 miles, 1:25 332Wh/mi. The St. George SC is located about 3 miles from I-15 in a shopping center next to a Starbucks. We had a snack at a crepe place in the shopping center. Charged to 86%, left at 10:04MT.

st george.JPG

Next stop Las Vegas SC. 10:57amPT, 23%, 99F, 122.8 miles, 1:49 403Wh/mi. Total so far 848.6 miles, 2040.7Kwh, 371Wh/mi. The Las Vegas SC is located in a parking garage close to old Las Vegas and the Fremont Experience. The GPS gets you close to the parking garage. Turn left on 8th street and you will see the red Tesla supercharger sign. We had lunch at one of the casinos and charged to 79%. When we left all the SC slots were full.

las vegas.JPG

We then spent two days at the Delano next to Mandalay Bay. The last night we did valet parking so that they could charge the Tesla. While parking at valet another Tesla X drove up. Wow, two Tesla X’s at the Delano.
On Saturday we left Delano at 8:02am with 96% charge. I had a problem with AP not staying in the lane. We had about 4 times when AP just veered off for some reason. I had to manually take control. I could not figure out why. Perhaps a road bump would cause the car to veer. I then did some “manual” driving and I could see that sometimes there is a divot in the road and you can tell the car veers right or left and you just naturally correct. We arrived at St. George UT at 10:54am, 33%, 80F, 127.8 miles, 49.4kwh, 387 Wh/mi. We had breakfast at the Egg and I restaurant next to the SC. We charged to 93%. Next stop is Beaver UT. ICTP estimated 40% charge at arrival at 1:33pm. Actual arrival time was 1:16pm, 35%, 75F, 104.7 miles, 1:31, 427Wh/mi. Since I knew we had lots of charge remaining I used a bit more energy to drive faster. The Tesla drives very nice and smooth at 105mph.
We left Beaver at 1:49pm, 77%. Estimated arrival at Richfield at 2:45pm, 50%. Actual arrival at 2:37pm, 46%,73F,64.4mi,51minutes,370Wh/mi,24.0Kwh. Left Richfield at 3:16pm,90%. Estimate to Green River 122mi, 1:52, 5:09pm,41%. Actual arrival at Green River at 5pm,30%,124.4mi,373Wh/mi,96F. We spent the night in Green River at the River Terrace motel. This motel is right on the river, nice views, but the motel is old and has a very noisy air conditioner. I suggest staying at the Holiday Inn Express or the Comfort Inn across the street. We had dinner at the Tamarisk restaurant which was nice. We charged up while seeing the John Wesley Powell River History Museum. Charged to 92%. We left the next morning to Grand Junction at 740amMT. ICTP estimated 97 miles, 1:27, 9:08am, 49%. We arrived at Grand Junction at 33%, 70F, 98.2mi, 473Wh/mi, 1:15. We had breakfast at the I-Hop next to the SC. We had set speed control to 85mph. We did notice that the maximum AP speed is 90mph. Next stop was to our daughter’s ranch in New Castle, 85.4mi, 423Wh/mi, 36%, 74F. They have a 10-50 plug we used to charge to 54%. Next stop was Glenwood Springs arrived at 48%, 78F, 18.3mi, 290Wh/mi. We met a couple with their kids in a Model X which unfortunately had a large crack in their windshield. They were going to stop at the Denver Service Center, but the service center has no spare windshields so I do not know what they were going to do. We left Glenwood Springs at 77%, estimate to Silverthorn at 30%, 92 miles. We arrived at Silverthorn at 32%, 70F, 92.9 mi, 384Wh/mi. Next stop home. We left Silverthorn at 85%. At the tunnel we were at 74%; then almost all downhill. At Georgetown 76%; at Idaho Springs 75%. We stopped for dinner at the Charthouse restaurant off of I70 (close to the Sleeper house). Arrived home at 50%. 112.6mi, 237Wh/mi. Total miles 1698.3, 6461kWh, 380Wh/mi.
And just now I found the “Trip” tab on the Energy Usage screen. I cannot believe that I missed this screen. I cannot wait to take another trip.

Attachments

• grand junction.JPG
    grand junction.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 170